Very rough 1937 Zephyr 3 Window Coupe

joshotto94

Any chance the drivers rear door latch assembly is complete?  I tore apart mine today as the latch wouldn't go back out unless locked and found a broken spring in the assembly.  I fabbed in a new spring and it now works but having the right part would be a positive.  Interesting tidbit the patent date was I believe '31.  Mine is a '38 but I'm guessing its the same as the '37.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, babychadwick said:

Any chance the drivers rear door latch assembly is complete?  I tore apart mine today as the latch wouldn't go back out unless locked and found a broken spring in the assembly.  I fabbed in a new spring and it now works but having the right part would be a positive.  Interesting tidbit the patent date was I believe '31.  Mine is a '38 but I'm guessing its the same as the '37.

I believe the latch is complete, I am not totally sure I will be selling it as soon as I make a decision I will let you know.  Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

How's it going?  I've had to take a five month hiatus on my car but I am hoping to get back at it this weekend.  I had to get some parts together.  I am doing the reverse process of what you're doing though.  LOL.  I'm trying to get the mechanical together first and then worry about the cosmetic.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, good to see you back, you certainly bring home  the real rough ones! 
As you probably know,  that 36 two door Sedan is particularly  rare, worth saving one way or another,  even with an inch or so  out of the roof after you have knocked that massive  dent out or  maybe the 37 4 door sedan roof  could replace the 2 door sedan coupe  roof, could be easier. 
  I imagine you would be just the man to achieve it too! But finish the 37 Coupe first!  How is  it progressing?
  We are all hanging out here waiting to see any latest pics. but just when you are ready. 

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

16 hours ago, 38ShortopConv. said:

Hi, good to see you back, you certainly bring home  the real rough ones! 
As you probably know,  that 36 two door Sedan is particularly  rare, worth saving one way or another,  even with an inch or so  out of the roof after you have knocked that massive  dent out or  maybe the 37 4 door sedan roof  could replace the 2 door sedan coupe  roof, could be easier. 
  I imagine you would be just the man to achieve it too! But finish the 37 Coupe first!  How is  it progressing?
  We are all hanging out here waiting to see any latest pics. but just when you are ready. 

I plan on building the 36 coupe sedan. That car is #89 of 1814 made. I will use my 37 sedan roof and the 39 dash to make the 36 coupe sedan. I will then use the 39 rear fenders on my 37 coupe. Lots of work but a lot of parts have been located. It all takes time. Planning to cut the roof on the sedan in the near future. My coupe doors and trunk should be ready to go in the next couple weeks and then I can really get to working on it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Do you have a front seat frame from a 36, 37 that you could see selling?

one last question do you have the chrome piece under hood emblem from a 36 or 37.

i have a 37 3 window that could use a few finishing pieces.

joeri0987@gmail.com

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi all, 

This is Andrea, Cecil's wife.  I am logging in on his ID because AACA website won't let me make my own.  I have a question about Rita- our 1937 Zephyr 3window coupe.   I think I have a fuel pump problem.   She sputtered to a stop in the driveway and I have done what I can through the engine bay to trouble shoot.   Can you tell me what I need to do next?  I am a novice and I know I need to get under the car, but what do I need to look for and do?  I can get friends to help, but there are no Lincoln people in my area.  Some great engineers/car people but no Lincoln people.   I want to keep her going.  I am also considering getting a lift.  If you have any recommendations there, that would be great too.   

The photo is for inspiration and encouragement to joshotto94- although it doesn't look like you need any:)  So excited to see your restoration.  Rita needs a friend.  

Big Rita+at+Boca.jpg

Andrea, you don't have to be a Lincoln expert to trouble shoot your problem, any good mechanic familiar with antique cars should be able to help.

The first step you should take is to check for spark at the spark plugs. You can use a pair of insulated pliers to hold a plug wire close to a head nut or buy an adjustable spark tester like this one:   https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/ignition-spark-tester

You can do a quick check on fuel by removing the air cleaner and spraying some starting fluid into the carburetor, then try to start the engine. If it runs for a second and then dies, you have a fuel problem.

Start your own topic so we can give you more trouble shooting instructions, without paging through joshotto94's post.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...