joshotto94

Very rough 1937 Zephyr 3 Window Coupe

This past week I picked up one of the roughest 1937 Zephyr 3 window coupes I have ever come across.  There is no title, and it is not for sale.  I will bring this back to life all in good time. 

IMG_20190117_123836.jpg

IMG_20190117_123843.jpg

they are beautiful cars
you obviously have a lot of talent
Steve

Yep,  that would be rough.  Would be interested in seeing how your progress goes.

You are a brave man. I hope that you will be able to find all of the parts you need to restore the car.

I would also like to see your progress on the car. It would be interesting to see how you restore all four fenders and fix the floor.

Rough is generous but it will be one hell of a project.  I'm getting ready to finish off my third year and start year four.  I would also encourage you to post your efforts here.  You know you will have a captive audience and you might get some help along the way.  I know I have.

Today I built a cart and got the car on it. I also got all the fenders, bumper brackets, glass, and friction shocks removed.

IMG_20190122_211421.jpg

IMG_20190124_142631.jpg

IMG_20190124_142642.jpg

IMG_20190124_142651.jpg

IMG_20190124_142701.jpg

IMG_20190124_142722.jpg

IMG_20190124_142757.jpg

Any floor left inside?  No running boards.   No bumpers.  Quite an ambitious project.  More of a resurrection than a restoration.  Still, very excited to see your progress.  Looking forward to more.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by detroitsoul (see edit history)

WOW WOW WOW 
If you can resurrect this they should film you 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, detroitsoul said:

Know any of the history on this vehicle?  

I do not, I was told it was driven to where it was parked.  The motor and trans was pulled and it sat in what they called a salvage yard for about 10 years.  Then the yard closed down and it sat for an additional 30 year. The owner is selling the land and clearing all of the cars out so that's how ended up with it. 

The vin should be on the frame on the driver side behind the back wheel.  You might be able to get some info from the Ford Archives.  I did not get ownership history because they lost part of the archives in a fire.  I was lucky enough to receive it from my grandfather.  I did, however, get the build history.

1 hour ago, detroitsoul said:

The vin should be on the frame on the driver side behind the back wheel.  You might be able to get some info from the Ford Archives.  I did not get ownership history because they lost part of the archives in a fire.  I was lucky enough to receive it from my grandfather.  I did, however, get the build history.

I will take a look when I am back at the shop tomorrow.  Thanks 

• Like 1

Re VIN #. yes,   on top rear frame, apparently  where gas filler pipe went thru. inner guard arch. Also at front on top frame  drivers side beside front cross member. 

• Like 1

So we are coming up with HB720-4023  does that sound correct??  Any info would be great. See photos below.   Thank you 

IMG_20190128_093123.jpg

IMG_20190128_094814.jpg

IMG_20190128_094809.jpg

If I am not mistaken, that is the engine number.  Your first picture looks like the plate on the firewall in the engine compartment.  The engine number is usually longer.

The picture from the frame looks like H40609(?).  That would be your VIN.  The VIN is shorter than the engine number.

HB720-4023 looks like it might be the body number, the frame number ( H40609 ?) would be the same as the motor serial number. That number falls in the serial number range for the 1937 Zephyr ( H-15,550  to   H-45,529 ).

Well, now.  Any more rabbits you would like to pull out of your hat, Maestro?  LOL.  

That does look solid.

At the moment I am all out.... Speaking of Rabbits, I am picking up a VW bus in the near future...

• Like 1