Big 1936 Chev?

nzcarnerd

One for the Chev experts. What looks like a 1936 Chevrolet hood and grille on a 1936 Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac.

In Europe, Belgium I think, they did build some long wheelbase Chevrolet Imperials bit I thought it was only later than 1936.

Sorry no info with the photo.

36 fb 200119.jpg

Here is a thread on Belgian Chevrolet Imperials around 1936.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/20348/2.html

I have seen a thread where it was noted that a long wheelbase Chevrolet from approximately 1936 had a factory Columbia 2-speed rear axle. This is never seen in US market Chevrolets. The car was in Switzerland IIRC. I do not recall if it was of Belgian origin. I can't seem to find the thread.

I also found this one, a 1938 Chev, which apparently was built in Poland. The first I had heard of Chevs being built there.

There are several references to Belgian built Chev Imperials on longer wheelbases but they mostly appear to have had convertible bodies built by Glaser.

https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-1938-chevrolet-imperial-4-door-sedan-no-reserve-3116-41

It is interesting that neither "60 years of Chevrolet" nor the Classic Car Database mention any Chev. Imperial for 1936. Neither do they mention a 7 passenger, which might be longer than a standard 5 passenger.

Would Chrysler, who used the model name Imperial, have it copyrighted or trademarked, so no-one else could use that name?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

It is interesting that neither "60 years of Chevrolet" nor the Classic Car Database mention any Chev. Imperial for 1936. Neither do they mention a 7 passenger, which might be longer than a standard 5 passenger.

Would Chrysler, who used the model name Imperial, have it copyrighted or trademarked, so no-one else could use that name?

Re the use of the word Imperial, I doubt they would be able to copyright it because it was in such wide use.

Chevrolet used the word Imperial for some of their late 1920s models I think.

I think re the late 1930s Imperials, they were Europe only and probably didn't concern the writers of those Crestline books. I have the Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac books in that series and the overseas models only get a passing mention in some odd years. I think it is only on more recent years with the advent of the internet that the existence of some of these odd variants has become known. Those of us on more remote parts of the world know that the US was very insular then. I found that in 1978. It was only a few people who had served in the military - either in WW2 or with Operation Deep Freeze - who even knew what New Zealand was.