My new 32 Buick Victoria - pictures

32BuickVicky

This is my first classic car and I'm pretty happy with the choice. Throwing a couple pictures out for viewing pleasure. Also attaching a picture of the fuel filter- a NAPA Gold 1006. Curious if this is the recommended filter.  I've also read through some old posts and it looks like a lot are using Amsoil Z-Rod oil in these old straight 8s. Is that still recommended? Anyone have other thoughts? Also, I can't find info on how many quarts the 32 Straight 8s held. Any help would be appreciated. 

Screenshot_20190117-074541_Gallery.jpg

20190118_185618.jpg

Screenshot_20190116-130612_Messenger.jpg

• Like 9

It's got to be an 80 series as it has the squared truck back as opposed to the rounded back on 50,60,and 90 series.  It was called a Victoria Traveler coupe.  1,800 were built.  Oil change is 12 1/2 qts dry and 9 qts refill.  I believe you meant oil filter.  The one pictured is an after market replacement.  The correct original were a closed canister that was completely replaced.  No originals are available.  Mac Blair has a repro that looks original, but has a spin filter inside.

Welcome to the forum and 32 Buick bunch.

Bob Engle

Sorry, I’ve been out of internet service for a bit. Sorry for the lack of info Pete. Yes, Bob is right....it’s an 86.

I think there may be a small oil leak around the drain cap on the oil pan. When I removed the cap, a thin molded piece of JBWeld type stuff came off...... I don’t see any holes but that weld was there for a reason. I’d like to drop the oil pan and check the inside, but I don’t want to do that without a gasket. Is there a place to order gaskets for this Model 86?

Appreciate everybody helping out this newbie. 

Olsen's Gaskets can supply you with a new gasket for the pan.  Your engine would be the 344 ci used in the 80 90 series cars.  There is a good possibility that you will find a fair amount of rust in the bottom of the pan.  water collects in the bottom of the pans.

With the pan down, it is a good time to check the condition of the oil screen on the pump and check the amount of wear in the oil pump by dropping the bottom plate and measuring the gap between gears and the bottom plate.  I would also check the retaining bolts on the wrist pin as they are known to be loose and can allow the pin to score the cylinder walls.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

The 80 series Buicks of this year are recognized as "full classics" by the Classic Car Club of America. They have an outstanding quarterly magazine and Bulletins are issued several times a year. I was active in the club for many years until recently.

If your oil pan has a riveted in place drain plug bung like my 1929 Buick has it can be easily repaired. even though the bung is riveted in place, it leaks where the solder has lost its seal. When you have your pan off take to a radiator shop. They can "sweat" the solder between the pan body and the bung. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. This stopped my pesky leak at the drain plug .

• Like 3