Want to Buy 1949 Roadmaster Convertible

Larry Harm.

Thanks, but not exactly what I described.  That was a publicity car, and today is a non driver, you might notice there are no interior photos. I called about it, and they think because it was displayed outside a few theaters for the movie, that's it worth a fortune. They want more than the actual main driver went for about 6 years ago!

But I do thank you for the reply. There was a beauty done up 7 or 8 years ago, Hyman sold it for someone, the timing was not good for me. 

Any other leads appreciated.  

Larry -- a non-driver publicity car? Well, that's a new one to me.  In any case, it seems that non-sedan '49s are a tough nut to crack.  In my own case, for years I've looked for a '49 Roadmaster sedanet priced reasonably enough to prevent me from ending up upside-down in it.  At this point, I've essentially given up -- although I've been able to acquire a nice, very affordable '30 roadster and gorgeous, reasonably-priced '54 76R.

Best of luck to you in your quest.  When success is yours, I hope you'll share the good news with the rest of us on the forum!

~ Charlie Manes

Larry -- thanks!  Not to appear as ornery as I probably really am . . . but the main reason (as if such notions have any connection whatsoever with reasoning) I'll pass on a '47 is that that is primarily a carried-over late-pre-war design.  I already have that design generation covered in my garage by means of a fine 1941 Cadillac Sixty Special.

The '49 Buick, on the other hand, reflects true 1st-generation postwar styling (if not engineering, aside from the Dynaflow) as well as some major Buick "firsts" such as the gunwale-to-gunwale toothy smile and, of course, the portholes.   Further, it was remarkable in being a one-year-only design -- a virtually unheard-of phenomenon in auto manufacturing.

49's also provide grist for lots of interesting stories, discussions, and conjectures.  For example, why didn't Buick get the new-for-'48 GM "B" body shell (as encompassed in Cadillac and senior Olds) until 1949?  Why, when Olds and Cadillac had new V8s in 1949, was there apparently no new-engine development going on at Buick at that time?  

AND . . . how did Harley Earl know that the impressive sales of the very pleasing '49 design would be massively outdone by the tasteless and grotesquely overdone Bucktooth Buicks of 1950?  

In any case, the '49s are hard to beat in terms of being just plain interesting.

47 minutes ago, Buickborn said:

AND . . . how did Harley Earl know that the impressive sales of the very pleasing '49 design would be massively outdone by the tasteless and grotesquely overdone Bucktooth Buicks of 1950?  

In any case, the '49s are hard to beat in terms of being just plain interesting.

Boy you have done it NOW! :o Tasteless?  Bucktooth?  Grotesquely overdone?   By your OWN words, the buying public did not agree.

Now that that can of worms has been opened, I will give my opinion. I always thought the overall design of the '49 is ok. The dash leaves something to be desired. 

Ben

• Like 1

Hi, Ben --

Goll -lee, it took almost an hour to get some blowback on my perhaps, somewhat, maybe, slightly indelicate choice of words.  But before offering those pearls of wisdom, I was beginning to wonder if this thread would ever attract any participants besides Larry and me.  

I knew I was stepping in it with my . . . uh . . . intemperate (?) crack about the '50 Buicks.  But that, you see, was merely devil's advocacy.  Truth to tell, I can see that your '50 is a gorgeous knockout -- even the grotesque part😉

~ Charlie Manes

• Haha 2

Actually, I read many years ago that there was a new narrow (something like a 22.5') V8 in the works at Buick engineering during the very late 40's, but it was going to be too high a deck for the projected designs later in the 50's. Then there was the experimental high output one in the '51 Lasabre.
Though as we all know they didn't bring one to the market till '53.

Keith

I've long suspected that one of the reasons for Buick's tardiness (compared to Olds, Cadillac, Chrysler, Studebaker, etc.) in developing a new V8 engine may have been that Buick didn't need a new engine as urgently as did the others, which had been running decidedly old-fashioned flatheads as, opposed Buick's highly respected OHV mill.  And, of course, there was (as Buicknutty reminds us) the challenge entailed in designing a V8 to fit into the narrow Buick chassis, which had no chance of being replaced before 1954.

Well, let us all agree that the advancement of design of these fine automobiles make for some lively discussions. All years in the automotive business are very interesting to me, and we all have our favorites. I have a few select years I enjoy the most, but all are lovely works of art and answered the need at the moment. 1949 is a pivotal year and my personal favorite for Buick, but I also adored my old 1975 Le Sabre Convertible. Like women, these automobiles all have their fine attributes. 

Edited by Larry Harm. (see edit history)

Hi, Pilgrim -- Well, in using the G-word, I was referring mostly to the "carnivorous" (much better word choice than mine, by the way) '50, which seem to present almost a digression from the '49-'54 iterations of Buick toothsome-ness.  One explanation I've encountered for the popularity of the '50 version is that, after years of Depression+wartime deprivations, newly-prosperous consumers were more than ready to rock out with copious glitz and razzle-dazzle.  (Clearly, by 1958 the mood was far different, as evidenced by the sales flop of the heavily chromed Buicks of that year -- resulting, along with other factors, in the cashiering/retirement of Harley Earl.)