Wade Lanning

What is this car?

This is from a family photo album.  My great aunt is in the passenger side of the middle seat.  Her husband manufactured Typhoon brand fans to ventilate theaters, thus the fan and advertisement on the car. This was taken at a movie picture exposition in Chicago where the fans were being marketed.  The license plate is New York 1917.  I can see a logo on the wheel hubs but can't make it out.  What kind of car is this and what year?  Please ID the car in the background too. 

Typhoon Car.jpg

Overland Knight, the prestige Overland of this era. Overland's were generally smaller however with the Knight engine models Willys went after a somewhat more up market buyer than they usually targeted.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

I will vote for 1921Marmon model 34 7 Passenger touring.

I'm leaning toward MARMON, note the fact there are NO Louvers in the hood, a major clue. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Based on other family information, I believe this was taken around 1917 - 1919.  I don't know how NY issued license plates then, but since they are 1917, perhaps it was that year the photo was taken unless the plate stayed on the car from year to year after it was issued.

Again, please note the difference in brake drum diameters.  Of course they could well have been increased between '17 and'20.   -  CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add 2nd sentence (see edit history)

This picture is from the Willys Overland knight registry. Note the same hood and windshield supports. 

O_136a.jpg

• Thanks 1

I too believe it to be 1917 Overland. Front bumper, wood spoke wheels and oval rear glass

• Like 1

I think the Ford is a 1914.  The doors don't go all the way down the body as the '13 doors did, and the windshield folds back instead of forward.