Underhood Realy Center

padgett

OK having a problem with the 88 cooling fans. Have identified the relay main power (pin 30) has voltage that goes away as soon as the relay engages. This indicates a bad fusible link A or a bad feed wire to the Underhood Relay Center. So I look in the 88 (89 also) service manual for how to remove and it refers to section 6D5 page 3. Ok except I have 6d5-1 and 6d5-2 but no 6d5-3. In either manual.

Is there any trick to removing the Underhood Relay Center to examine the feed wires ? Thought I'd ask here before just removing bolts.

Hooboy. Have pulled the relay center out. The red feed wires for the fans have 9v until they get a load then it goes to zilch so have either a bad connection, bad fusible link A. Or a bad wire. The problem is *which* wire. The feeds are all red coming from the main power source by the battery.  Many red wires go back. Many red wires go down. Anyone know how to tell which is the fan main power when the connection is bad but all look good ? Do the go around the back of the engine or under the front ? Everywhere I look there are big red wires.

ps there are three individual red wires, one to each of the relays in the relay center. I *suspect* they all join into a single larger wire to the feed by the battery. Anyone know where that connection is ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Thank you. I "suspect" the issue is either fusible link A or splice S106 but trying to figure out which of about 20 different red wires in two bundles (one shown) most with fusible links. Is not trivial. Particularly when there is a known issue so may not be able to just ohm out.

Going to try to find the splice first.

powercenter.jpg

Does the blower motor for the heat run like it should? Check the orange wire that supplies power to the blower module for 12 volts under load. If it is good the fusible link is good. As you can see in the photo that orange wire comes straight off fusible link A that supplies power to the cooling fan relays. The photo is from an '89 but I think it would be the same for an '88.

fuseable link A pdf.png

Thanks for the tip and heater fan is not working properly so probably the fusible link A. Blem Wit is WHICH fusible link is A ? Have at least five coming off the terminal by the battery. For the moment so I can go to the cruise tonight I have run a 14 ga wire with a 30A fuse directly to the S106 splice. This has the engine cooling fans working.

Suppose can do an ohms check to the terminal block but have enough working for tonight's cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, padgett said:

Thank you. I "suspect" the issue is either fusible link A or splice S106 but trying to figure out which of about 20 different red wires in two bundles (one shown) most with fusible links. Is not trivial. Particularly when there is a known issue so may not be able to just ohm out.

Going to try to find the splice first.

powercenter.jpg

I see an orange wire in that bundle of wires. If it ties in with a red wire coming out of a fusible link that is probably fusible link A. You could try testing the fusible link by piercing the wire with a straight pin and use that as a test point to apply a load (12 volt light bulb) to see if the problem is a bad fusible link or a bad connection downstream somewhere...