Smartin

57 Dynaflow Issue

Yes...driveshaft will come out of tube.  If u-joint in in good shape I will run it. 

And yes, they are two pieces with a rear joint.

IMG_1386.jpg

3 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Yes...driveshaft will come out of tube.  If u-joint in in good shape I will run it. 

And yes, they are two pieces with a rear joint.

IMG_1386.jpg

It appears to be flexing at the joint. That's good. Can't be tight. 

FWIW, Rock Auto says they sell new u-joints for this application.  Should be easy enough to replace if you're at all concerned about the condition.  It's certainly a lot easier to do it now. ;) 

3 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

FWIW, Rock Auto says they sell new u-joints for this application.  Should be easy enough to replace if you're at all concerned about the condition.  It's certainly a lot easier to do it now. ;) 

Sound advise. 

I am working on an order now.  I'll go ahead and get one to be safe.  I also did some cleaning on the long portion of the torque tube this evening, finding some cool factory markings and a very distinct lack of black paint.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on how that tube stripped the threads?

It does not seem high mileage wear for a part like that would be that bad...

How are the splines on the differential looking?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

The differential looks pretty good.  I suppose it was a lack of lubrication from the get-go that killed this one.  It looks like there was never an ounce of grease on the splines...ever.

IMG_1388.jpg

32 minutes ago, dei said:

Any thoughts on how that tube stripped the threads?

It does not seem high mileage wear for a part like that would be that bad...

How are the splines on the differential looking?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

I believe there is a good chance this was a factory defect and the splines were not properly heat treated (hardened) when new.

Thanks Adam. I don't think I have heard anyone else have an issue like this before so wondered if it might be something I should have to watch for.

Looks like I should keep that part from my Limited parts car... just in case.

39 minutes ago, Smartin said:

The differential looks pretty good.  I suppose it was a lack of lubrication from the get-go that killed this one.  It looks like there was never an ounce of grease on the splines...ever.

IMG_1388.jpg

I would concur. This is a slip joint. No grease would allow metal to be worn down to nothing. Note the most rearward splines are in good shape as they never were touched by the propeller shaft. 

• Like 1

I got the car back together this evening.  All gears work really smoothly as I run through the shifter.  I'm short on fluid, but it is working for now.  I'll grab some on the way home tomorrow.

Only issue now is I have no PARK.  Is the parking pawl accessible without removing the transmission?

4 hours ago, Smartin said:

I got the car back together this evening.  All gears work really smoothly as I run through the shifter.  I'm short on fluid, but it is working for now.  I'll grab some on the way home tomorrow.

Grab a bunch.  If someone earlier in the ownership chain thought there was a problem with the transmission, no telling what they might have dumped in there to fix it.  I'd drain it and refill just to be safe.

No park?  Replace your motor and trans mounts/thrust pad, and if that does not resolve the issue, adjust linkage as needed.  

• Like 1