Where did the post numbers go?

At least on my browser, the little sequential number in the top-right of each post disappeared late last year.  I figured it was just a glitch or some such and would be back, but no luck.  When sharing a link with a post it was real handy to say, "Read #42".  Now it's, "Read the post by so-and-so, but not the first post he made, you want the third one by the same guy".

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)
  • Like 1

They have been missing for at least a month.

I agree:  On long topics, it is extremely useful to

be able to refer to "Posting #35."

They were probably eliminated accidentally,

possibly with some software update.  This hasn't

been the first time, and the moderators, once aware

of the mistake, turn them back on again.

Gents,

Folks that put everything in the General Forum are not going to get help unless a Moderator just happens to notice it.

This question has come up before and the way to get direct Moderator assistance is simply scroll down from the good 'ole General Forum to the FORUM SOFTWARE QUESTIONS / INSTRUCTIONS FORUM that is the next one after the Speedster Forum.  

Your post triggers a notification to the Moderators.

Peter J.

27 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Gents,

Folks that put everything in the General Forum are not going to get help unless a Moderator just happens to notice it.

This question has come up before and the way to get direct Moderator assistance is simply scroll down from the good 'ole General Forum to the FORUM SOFTWARE QUESTIONS / INSTRUCTIONS FORUM that is the next one after the Speedster Forum.  

Your post triggers a notification to the Moderators.

Peter J.

Actually I did do quick search to see if there was a more relevant place for my topic, but amongst the vast selection of sub-forums I overlooked it.  I think they should make Peter a moderator and then it could solve our problems all at once.  For now I will just live on the wild side and see if a moderator happens to notice it.  

2 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

Actually I did do quick search to see if there was a more relevant place for my topic, but amongst the vast selection of sub-forums I overlooked it.  I think they should make Peter a moderator and then it could solve our problems all at once.  For now I will just live on the wild side and see if a moderator happens to notice it. 

I moved your thread here. Maybe the forum administrators will see it. The problem with the missing post numbers isn't something a moderator can fix.

Maybe I am missing something but what is wrong with simply 'qouting' like you have above.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, W_Higgins said:

Thank you, Ronnie.  I appreciate the swift relocation and am glad that you happened to notice it.

2 minutes ago, maok said:

Maybe I am missing something but what is wrong with simply 'qouting' like you have above.

Consider that you want to email a link to a friend and direct him to read something specific in a thread.  It's nothing to do with already discussing something with people in a thread.  It's to more easily direct others from the outside to something specific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

Consider that you want to email a link to a friend and direct him to read something specific in a thread.  It's nothing to do with already discussing something with people in a thread.  It's to more easily direct others from the outside to something specific.

Hopefully the post numbers will be restored soon. If not,  you can accomplish the same thing by right clicking on the time stamp at the top of a post and select "copy link" from the menu that drops down. Then paste that link into your email. Or you can insert it into any post you make here on the forums. If you insert it into a post in the forum you have the choice of inserting it as a preview of the previous post (default)  - or just a link to the post as I have done in the examples below.

Here is an example if inserting a link. Click on the link and it will take you to one of my previous posts

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/321018-air-filter/?do=findComment&comment=1831666

Here is an example of inserting it as a preview. Clicking on the arrow will also take you to a previous post I made.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Post numbers are not working again, or is it still?

Here is an example where someone referred to the "last picture in post #5", a very good way of dealing with a reference to a post with a bunch of pictures, rather that than having to repost the same string of pictures in a quote every time someone refers to it again.

Then the post numbers disappear.

Here is a poster in a thread who is quite understandably confused by the missing numbers.

Of course in this thread, I guess you could just count them. The thread is pretty short. It's a good thing we arent talking about "1937 Buick Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)" (58 pages) or "I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK..........." (230 pages).

Thanks for any attention to this matter.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1