11 hours ago, frenchy51 said:

Thanks so much for the advice. I just ordered a brown one from "DashTop" in Reno. Hopefully the color is close so I don't have to paint. I've seen videos where the cover is glue over the original vinyl without stripping and foam padding it? I'm sure there's instructions to come with the cap but does DashTop recommend your method as best? 

Frenchy, you can put the Dashtop over your existing dash without taking the cover off. My observation was the new dashcover placed on top of the existing cover added bulk. I preferred a look closer to original dimensions. Peeling off the original cover and then squeezing on some silicone filler was pretty easy. Good luck

Turbinator

11 hours ago, frenchy51 said:

Thanks so much for the advice. I just ordered a brown one from "DashTop" in Reno. Hopefully the color is close so I don't have to paint. I've seen videos where the cover is glue over the original vinyl without stripping and foam padding it? I'm sure there's instructions to come with the cap but does DashTop recommend your method as best? 

Frenchy, the instructions were not all that much. The manufacturer recommends slipping the new cover on the existing dash cover.

i did not care for what I perceived as additional bulk with new cover over the existing cover.

Turbinator

Makes things easier if you remove the A pillar trim 1st. Then you won't have to worry as much about scratching.

19 hours ago, telriv said:

Makes things easier if you remove the A pillar trim 1st. Then you won't have to worry as much about scratching.

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

There's a thread elsewhere on this site wherein a fellow applies vinyl over the curved wheel wells of a 58 Caballero.  Perhaps those posts might be instructive for those who wish to recover a dash.

I sometimes wonder why I did not think of removing the trim. Just never occurred to me. The dash came out it should go back in. Thank you for the tip. I’ll need it when I take it out again.

Turninator

19 hours ago, telriv said:

There's a thread elsewhere on this site wherein a fellow applies vinyl over the curved wheel wells of a 58 Caballero.  Perhaps those posts might be instructive for those who wish to recover a dash.

I sometimes wonder why I did not think of removing the trim. Just never occurred to me. The dash came out it should go back in. Thank you for the tip. I’ll need it when I take it out again.

Turninator

Mr Konga Man thank you for the thread regarding a gent rescuing a Buick station wagon. I thought he gent did a good job getting the Buick home safe and sound.

I did not read anything about dash covering technique. I probably missed that section on the dash.

Turbinator

On 1/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, KongaMan said:

Armor-all is just brutal on so many levels.  The gloss is only one.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, KongaMan said:

Armor-all is just brutal on so many levels.  The gloss is only one.

Mr Konga Man, a product for cleaning your dash, and other things in the car, is Dash Away. The cleaner works and does not leave a residue.

Turbinator

If you've dyed or painted your dash, I'd recommend that you just use mild soap and water for cleaning.  You never know what kinds of distillates specialized cleaners have in them. 

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Mr Konga Man thank you for the thread regarding a gent rescuing a Buick station wagon. I thought he gent did a good job getting the Buick home safe and sound.

I did not read anything about dash covering technique. I probably missed that section on the dash.

Turbinator

I don't know that was a section on the dash. However, there was a section on stretching and gluing vinyl over a complex curved surface (the wheel wells).  I figure that the technique and material used there may well be applicable in other areas.  I also figure that a couple of yards of vinyl is a whole lot less than what JustDashes charges -- and you learn something and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, to boot.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

If you're going  shopping at your local upholstery supply house be sure to ask for expandable vinyl. It's easy to stretch in all directions. If you want to go all the way, here's a video showing how to use leather to recover a dash.  Lots of compound curves and little out of the way places to fill.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you're going  shopping at your local upholstery supply house be sure to ask for expandable vinyl. It's easy to stretch in all directions. If you want to go all the way, here's a video showing how to use leather to recover a dash.  Lots of compound curves and little out of the way places to fill.

I saw this demonstration and as an easy as the worker made the job appear I gave the challenge second thoughts.

Thank you for taking the time and consideration to show another approach and solution to a job.

Turbinator

I don't know that was a section on the dash. However, there was a section on stretching and gluing vinyl over a complex curved surface (the wheel wells).  I figure that the technique and material used there may well be applicable in other areas.  I also figure that a couple of yards of vinyl is a whole lot less than what JustDashes charges -- and you learn something and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, to boot.

Yes, thank you. This thread is the one showing how to position the vinyl on top of the fender well. The fellow does right good work. Learning keeps the synapse firing in order keeps me time.

Thank you

Turbinator

On 1/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, RivNut said:

If you've dyed or painted your dash, I'd recommend that you just use mild soap and water for cleaning.  You never know what kinds of distillates specialized cleaners have in them. 

Ed, you have that right. I’m a label reader these days. I used Purple Power on my Cast aluminum covers once. Purple power stained the wheel covers. The label says don’t use on aluminum. Use now read later can cost.

thank you.

As I read this, I remembered something else I used to clean the covers on my 63.  Because they weren't painted and all natural aluminum, I used some Eagle brand aluminum wheel cleaner on them.  There's enough hydrochloric acid in it to etch the surface clean.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:28 PM, RivNut said:

As I read this, I remembered something else I used to clean the covers on my 63.  Because they weren't painted and all natural aluminum, I used some Eagle brand aluminum wheel cleaner on them.  There's enough hydrochloric acid in it to etch the surface clean.

Ed, I used lye to clean so wheel covers ONCE. 

Turbinator

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I used lye to clean so wheel covers ONCE. 

Turbinator

I take it that once was one time too many.

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It's just something you can't relye on.

On the contrary you can rely on the lye to make your Wheel cover disintegrate. That is no word of a lie.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It's just something you can't relye on.

Very good, yes very good.