1956 Buicks -- which color combinations recommended for tri-tone cars?

Centurion

I have been approached by a model car company regarding upcoming models to be issued of the 1956 Buicks.

I was asked whether tri-tone combinations were offered in '56.  I believe that they were.

Is there any information regarding which combinations of three colors Buick recommended for tri-tone cars in 1956?  

I welcome any input!  Thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell, in '56 you could get ANY standard paint in ANY combo for tri-tone,.  Believe me, some folks ordered some strange things...

I really like red/black/white, but I may be biased... lol

White/Red/White and White/Black/White seemed to be popular.  I'll see what others period correct documents showed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

@Centurion you may want to visit the Hometown Buick site where you can actually configure a ‘56 Buick in any of the colors offered that year.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1956-buick/1956-buick-configurator/

@HOMETOWN BUICK

Thank you, Lamar.  I had seen this tool, but was uncertain whether Buick had "recommended" or "acceptable" combinations.   Would Buick really allow you to choose any combination of available colors in '56?

Good question Brian. I know some '54 colors were only "supposedly" available on the Skylark. I seem to recall the 56 Roadmaster may have had some different color scheme available but don't quote me on that. Perhaps someone here has a 56 Buick Colors and Fabric Album and can weigh in.

Or maybe @HOMETOWN BUICK will come on and advise :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Would Buick really allow you to choose any combination of available colors in '56?

I can’t find the post, but I seem to recall Dale in Indy telling the story of a customer ordering a car in a combo that resembled something like a circus tent. 

Dealers ordering cars would stick with things they thought they could sell, but nobody wants to say no to a customer with cash in hand...

• Like 1

Thank you, Matt!  But before this company invests money in building tri-tone 1956 Buick diecast model cars, I'm wondering whether anyone here has a '56 Buick Color and Trim book to confirm that anything was possible in terms of the combination of the three colors

27 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Thank you, Matt!  But before this company invests money in building tri-tone 1956 Buick diecast model cars, I'm wondering whether anyone here has a '56 Buick Color and Trim book to confirm that anything was possible in terms of the combination of the three colors

I totally get that they wouldn’t want to build anything off the wall, so if I was in that position, I’d want documented combos, too. 

It’s funny how a Google search produces no shortage of tri-tones in the modern era, but most of their literature shows 2-tones. 

Grey with a yellow top? Seriously?  Who thought to advertise that one?  😂 

8241CF04-09ED-48BE-B28E-E7EF29E9B290.thumb.jpeg.f9552db5990c33dc2350b026781ed779.jpeg

Hi Brian

I believe they had a set of combinations for the tri-tones, I know in 1955 the tri-tone combinations were set and one could not deviate. I have to check my original literature files, but I believe 56 would have been the same. 

I'll check this weekend and let you know.

Steve

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Brian

I believe they had a set of combinations for the tri-tones, I know in 1955 the tri-tone combinations were set and one could not deviate. I have to check my original literature files, but I believe 56 would have been the same. 

I'll check this weekend and let you know.

Steve

Steve, thanks so much!  I believe that you are correct that Buick dictated the allowable tri-tone combinations.  Thanks so much for being willing to check your resources for me!

I have a Danbury Mint model of a '56 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan #73, (four door hardtop)

with a black roof, Seminole Red hood, trunk lid, upper fenders & doors, and  light beige or almond

paint below the sweep spear, Striking! The interior is red & black.

Photos to follow.

Jerry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

I have a Danbury Mint model of a '56 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan #73, (four door hardtop)

with a black roof, Seminole Red hood, trunk lid, upper fenders & doors, and  light beige or almond

paint below the sweep spear, Striking! The interior is red & black.

Photos to follow.

Jerry

Yes, I have this model as well.  It is indeed a striking color combination.

13 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

Brian,

Who will be making this model, '56 Century?

I have the same car, Dover White over Seminole Red, red & black interior, # 63D

Jerry

BCA 1518

The 1956 Century 4-door Riviera will be made by Brooklin Models of the UK in 1/43-scale.  There will be at least a couple of color schemes offered, although perhaps not from the beginning.  Jerry, if you want a model in the exact color scheme of your car, please send me a private message.  I have a source in the UK who receives a small number of models directly from Brooklin, then finishes them per his customer requests.  He will be finishing one for me in this color scheme, replicating a car in our local Buick Club chapter:

centuryredblack.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

Brian,

I sent you a PM last week, did you receive?

I'm interested in the Brooklin ' Century.

Thanks!

Jerry

Jerry, I replied to your PM last week, as well as to the e-mail that you sent.  Please let me know if you are unable to view either of them.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

I was just looking in my 1959 Master Parts book, and included in it are "Paint Combination Charts".  In 1952-53, sets of upper and lower colors are specified.  For 1954, only upper colors are specified.  Starting in 1955, colors were just all listed as a "body color", with no specifications of upper, lower, or middle.

• 2 weeks later...

~  Check out the 2005 BCA Judging Handbook FWIW. It only lists four 3-tone combinations available on 1955 Buicks:  ADB, EKH, BML, ASC.

~  The Handbook makes no mention of 3-tone availability for 1956 or later years.

~  Make note that all the letter designations for 1955 colors differ from 1956 colors except that "A" = Carlsbad Black for both years.

~  The picture below was posted on the H.A.M.B. site . . . looks like a CNA paint code.

593744908_3-tone1956Buick(3).jpg.0aaf0991e5c1ae4e33a0dc541ff4c151.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1

I don’t trust the judging manual:

1. The judging manual lists the color codes as top, middle, bottom. The data plate shows bottom, middle, top.  Why would you write the manual opposite of what you would see on a car?
  2. It gives only 4 combos for 3 years, one with a color not even available in ‘56. 3 options that didn’t change for 3 years?  Unlikely. 
  3. None of the 3 tri-colors listed in the manual match ANY of the pictures in the factory literature. “Buy one of our fabulous tri-tones! (Just not the ones we showed you).”  Makes no sense. 
  4. The same chart that tells the judge the legit body colors also tells the legit wheel pinstripes, even though the manual elsewhere (correctly) states no more wheel pinstripes in ‘56. 
  5. We have repeatedly seen examples on the forum that prove many more factory combos existed, followed with a “Huh, guess the manual needs updating.” Manual never gets updated. 
  6. Whenever this subject comes up, nobody is ever able to produce a document that substantiates that any tri-tone restriction existed in 1956. 
  • Like 1

Thank you Al and Matt.  I appreciate your contribution to the topic, and I am suggesting that any 1956 tri-tone combinations offered by the model maker be limited to those for which we have photos.

Perhaps someone will furnish some definitive information in the future or at least contribute additional photos showing tri-tone cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

I don’t trust the judging manual:

1. The judging manual lists the color codes as top, middle, bottom. The data plate shows bottom, middle, top.  Why would you write the manual opposite of what you would see on a car?
  2. It gives only 4 combos for 3 years, one with a color not even available in ‘56. 3 options that didn’t change for 3 years?  Unlikely. 
  3. None of the 3 tri-colors listed in the manual match ANY of the pictures in the factory literature. “Buy one of our fabulous tri-tones! (Just not the ones we showed you).”  Makes no sense. 
  4. The same chart that tells the judge the legit body colors also tells the legit wheel pinstripes, even though the manual elsewhere (correctly) states no more wheel pinstripes in ‘56. 
  5. We have repeatedly seen examples on the forum that prove many more factory combos existed, followed with a “Huh, guess the manual needs updating.” Manual never gets updated. 
  6. Whenever this subject comes up, nobody is ever able to produce a document that substantiates that any tri-tone restriction existed in 1956. 

I don't trust your answers. Please clarify the following:

(1)  Your item #1:  Where does it say that the Body by Fisher Number Plate lists the Paint Code from bottom-middle-top and NOT top-middle-bottom?

(2)  Do you agree with the document in the following link referring to how the Paint Code is listed on the Body by Fisher Number Plate? If not, why?

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1956-buick/1956-buick-colors-exterior-paint/

(3)  Your item #2:  The topic of this thread is 1956 tri-tone paint combinations. I mentioned 1955 in my post for a reference. I'm only seeing the information at the end of year 1955 with four tri-tone paint combinations with 1955 paint code designated letters. What three years are you saying that the Judging Manual has information for tri-tone paint colors?

(4)  Another item #2 question:  What color are you referring to that is "not even available in '56?"

It's a known fact that showroom brochure information can be changed or discontinued anytime without notification. That includes adding Easter egg colors and discontinuing others during the Springtime production months.

Thanx.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

53 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

I don't trust your answers. Please clarify the following:

(1)  Your item #1:  Where does it say that the Body by Fisher Number Plate lists the Paint Code from bottom-middle-top and NOT top-middle-bottom?

(2)  Do you agree with the document in the following link referring to how the Paint Code is listed on the Body by Fisher Number Plate? If not, why?

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1956-buick/1956-buick-colors-exterior-paint/

(3)  Your item #2:  The topic of this thread is 1956 tri-tone paint combinations. I mentioned 1955 in my post for a reference. I'm only seeing the information at the end of year 1955 with four tri-tone paint combinations with 1955 paint code designated letters. What three years are you saying that the Judging Manual has information for tri-tone paint colors?

(4)  Another item #2 question:  What color are you referring to that is "not even available in '56?"

It's a known fact that showroom brochure information can be changed or discontinued anytime without notification. That includes adding Easter egg colors and discontinuing others during the Springtime production months.

Thanx.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

(1 & 2)  I'll concede point #1.  I wrote that response to the judging manual a few weeks ago in anticipation that it would be mentioned in this conversation, and one of the documents I had looked at had the order listed opposite of the cowl tag.  I was obviously mistaken, but I don't know what that other doc may have been that I was thinking of at this point.  Maybe I had a link to an old manual?

(3 & 4)  The current manual states:  "Two and three tone combintions werre available, first letter denotes upper color, second is for center color, and third is for lower color. three tone combinations were only ADB,EKH,BML,ASC." I interpreted this as a note for 1956, but there is no 'S' code for 1956. You interpreted this as applying to 1955.  Since 'S' is a valid code for '55, you are probably right (but it's not as clear as other notes in the manual).  If that's the case, then the current judging manual gives no restrictions on 1956 tri-tones, so it's not even applicable to this discussion.

I apologize.  I had multiple documents open at one time when I was researching this back in January, but I've slept since then so I don't remember what I might have been looking at that I may have misattributed to the judging manual.  I get that it's document written by people and will never be perfect.  In the end, I would always prefer to look at original sources than trust someone else's interpretations.  Yes, I understand that cars used in product literature are pre-production cars and things are subject to change, but it seems to me that would normally be the exception, not the rule, and I'm certainly not going to trust anything written 49 years after the fact over period correct documents without good cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1