Centurion

1956 Buicks -- which color combinations recommended for tri-tone cars?

I have been approached by a model car company regarding upcoming models to be issued of the 1956 Buicks.

I was asked whether tri-tone combinations were offered in '56.  I believe that they were.

Is there any information regarding which combinations of three colors Buick recommended for tri-tone cars in 1956?  

I welcome any input!  Thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell, in '56 you could get ANY standard paint in ANY combo for tri-tone,.  Believe me, some folks ordered some strange things...

I really like red/black/white, but I may be biased... lol

White/Red/White and White/Black/White seemed to be popular.  I'll see what others period correct documents showed...

• Like 1

They certainly were available in tri colour, as the body tag indicates a lower, middle and an upper colour. Most I've seen are either one or two tone, often Dover White roof and lower, with a "colour" in the middle section.

Keith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

@Centurion you may want to visit the Hometown Buick site where you can actually configure a ‘56 Buick in any of the colors offered that year.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1956-buick/1956-buick-configurator/

@HOMETOWN BUICK

Thank you, Lamar.  I had seen this tool, but was uncertain whether Buick had "recommended" or "acceptable" combinations.   Would Buick really allow you to choose any combination of available colors in '56?

Good question Brian. I know some '54 colors were only "supposedly" available on the Skylark. I seem to recall the 56 Roadmaster may have had some different color scheme available but don't quote me on that. Perhaps someone here has a 56 Buick Colors and Fabric Album and can weigh in.

Or maybe @HOMETOWN BUICK will come on and advise :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Would Buick really allow you to choose any combination of available colors in '56?

I can’t find the post, but I seem to recall Dale in Indy telling the story of a customer ordering a car in a combo that resembled something like a circus tent. 

Dealers ordering cars would stick with things they thought they could sell, but nobody wants to say no to a customer with cash in hand...

• Like 1

Thank you, Matt!  But before this company invests money in building tri-tone 1956 Buick diecast model cars, I'm wondering whether anyone here has a '56 Buick Color and Trim book to confirm that anything was possible in terms of the combination of the three colors

27 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Thank you, Matt!  But before this company invests money in building tri-tone 1956 Buick diecast model cars, I'm wondering whether anyone here has a '56 Buick Color and Trim book to confirm that anything was possible in terms of the combination of the three colors

I totally get that they wouldn’t want to build anything off the wall, so if I was in that position, I’d want documented combos, too. 

It’s funny how a Google search produces no shortage of tri-tones in the modern era, but most of their literature shows 2-tones. 

Grey with a yellow top? Seriously?  Who thought to advertise that one?  😂 

8241CF04-09ED-48BE-B28E-E7EF29E9B290.thumb.jpeg.f9552db5990c33dc2350b026781ed779.jpeg

Hi Brian

I believe they had a set of combinations for the tri-tones, I know in 1955 the tri-tone combinations were set and one could not deviate. I have to check my original literature files, but I believe 56 would have been the same. 

I'll check this weekend and let you know.

Steve

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Brian

I believe they had a set of combinations for the tri-tones, I know in 1955 the tri-tone combinations were set and one could not deviate. I have to check my original literature files, but I believe 56 would have been the same. 

I'll check this weekend and let you know.

Steve

Steve, thanks so much!  I believe that you are correct that Buick dictated the allowable tri-tone combinations.  Thanks so much for being willing to check your resources for me!

JohnD1956, thanks so much for sharing those Roadmaster and Super images that show a couple of different tri-tone combinations.

I recall having seen a '56 Roadmaster in the black, gray, and white combination many years ago, and I thought it was stunning.

Interesting that they do not show a Century in the tri tone. @Centurion do you know which series they plan to build because each model line has its own unique interior pattern

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

Interesting that they do not show a Century in the tri tone. @Centurion do you know which series they plan to build because each model line has its own unique interior pattern

The model will be a Century 4-door Riviera.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, Centurion said:

The model will be a Century 4-door Riviera.

A 4-door HT, how 'bout that!  ;)

I have a Danbury Mint model of a '56 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan #73, (four door hardtop)

with a black roof, Seminole Red hood, trunk lid, upper fenders & doors, and  light beige or almond

paint below the sweep spear, Striking! The interior is red & black.

Photos to follow.

Jerry

• Like 1

Brian,

Who will be making this model, '56 Century?

I have the same car, Dover White over Seminole Red, red & black interior, # 63D

Jerry

BCA 1518

6 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

I have a Danbury Mint model of a '56 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan #73, (four door hardtop)

with a black roof, Seminole Red hood, trunk lid, upper fenders & doors, and  light beige or almond

paint below the sweep spear, Striking! The interior is red & black.

Photos to follow.

Jerry

Yes, I have this model as well.  It is indeed a striking color combination.

13 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

Brian,

Who will be making this model, '56 Century?

I have the same car, Dover White over Seminole Red, red & black interior, # 63D

Jerry

BCA 1518

The 1956 Century 4-door Riviera will be made by Brooklin Models of the UK in 1/43-scale.  There will be at least a couple of color schemes offered, although perhaps not from the beginning.  Jerry, if you want a model in the exact color scheme of your car, please send me a private message.  I have a source in the UK who receives a small number of models directly from Brooklin, then finishes them per his customer requests.  He will be finishing one for me in this color scheme, replicating a car in our local Buick Club chapter:

centuryredblack.jpg

• Like 1