airbrush

1927 buick carb change

Hi,

I have a 1927 buick standard and I need to change the carb to a downdraft set up. can anyone direct me to a manifold/carb set up that will work?

I just turned the original intake manifold over.  You have to grind one little spot for clearance but it bolts on without any problems. I used a Carter carb from a mid 60s ford pickup. The bolt pattern on the manifold is at an angle so I made an adapter block (from aluminum) so the carb would be square to the motor. You have to make a cover plate to cover the now opening in the exhaust manifold, which I also used for the heat source for the automatic choke. Starts and runs great and no problem using an electric fuel pump.  

DSC05843.JPG

• Like 1

Flip the intake manifold and bolt on a Rochester carb from a "stovebolt six" GM engine. There are several models of this carb...with and without automatic choke. Rochester carbs. do not have offset mounting flanges.

• Like 1

The Carter carb that I used doesn't have an offset Mounting flange, it's the intake manifold that has the offset mount. I may have used a Rochester but the Carter was sitting on the shelf. 

I did the same on my 26 Sedan and 27 Woodie, I used a 40's chev carb. had to make an adapter because throat size was different. I put in an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator and runs on about 3 1/2 pounds pressure. Never ran so good. Never did hitch up choke. Didn't need it. Also used a 28 Dist. had to change back of gen. to a 28 back end plate. That why I can buy ignition parts anyplace

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Flip the intake manifold and bolt on a Rochester carb from a "stovebolt six" GM engine. There are several models of this carb...with and without automatic choke. Rochester carbs. do not have offset mounting flanges.

Yes, the Rochester type B carbs are dirt-cheap, as many of the "stove-bolt" folks are replacing them with Carters ;)

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)