'54 Pontiac windshield washer switch and system

Summershandy

My car never came with a washer system and I've always liked the look of the "mason jar" reservoir. I picked one up last fall and installed it. I was going to run dummy lines but thought maybe I can make the system functional. I see nozzle ports under the dash where the wiper jets would go and you can buy them on Ebay. Incidentally, I was unscrewing one of the original blanked out ones and it snapped off. That's for another day. There are nozzle ports on the top of my wiper switch for hoses also. The only picture I found that comes close to mine is a switch with a button in the middle. I guess you push on that to make the fluid spray. There's one for sale but at a ridiculous price and I'm not that desperate to have a working washer. I'm a little hung up on the switch deal and my question is, why would my switch have ports on it and not a method to engage the washer fluid?  If I do pursue this, I also can't find a hose routing diagram. 

I'm not sure how much the wipers changed from '51 to '54 but the washer system on mine (missing the jar and pump and stuff) pulls open a port on the top of the wiper motor which is fed back out to the washer motor.

That would be my guess as to yours, that one side of the knob is vacuum, the other side runs back out of the firewall to the washer motor. The water line goes back in, to a tee and then left and right to each escutcheon.

Mine has a three-hole bungy in the firewall just up above the location of the jar to accommodate these pipes.

There are hose clips for the water lines up under the dash to stop the pipes flopping around- they follow the line of screws that hold the windshield trim clips.

Phil

Thanks for that info Phil.....I went out to the garage and grabbed my owner's guide. Sure enough it states, "to operate windshield washer (ACCESSORY) depress button in center of wiper control knob and hold button for a second." My switch has no button. Guess to make this work I would have to find a switch with this button. Still wonder why nozzle ports would be on this "buttonless" switch? 

Probably find a standard body for the switch was made, and you can pop that one apart and replace the current knob with a knob that has a button. 

It may not have the valve inside. My guess is the button goes down the center of the switch body to the back and would probably form the valve internally. If you blow into one of the ports what happens? 

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)

That's an option. I was looking at the design and frankly it's a concern that if something falls I start drawing windshield washer fluid into the engine!

I was thinking about getting a vacuum operated switch (Harley Davidson motorcycles use one for cruise monitoring) and plumb that to the vacuum line that would run to the pump. Then, have an electrical pump tucked away to actually do the hard work.

Phil

Ya, I'm thinking now of just doing those dummy lines. I'm not in any shows and most wouldn't notice the difference. Just thought I could give it a go. I don't even have any use for it as I mainly cruise around town on sunny days. Thanks for the thoughts guys and thanks for the compliment! Cheers Mark

I took the wiper knob off and it has a hole in the middle of it. I stuck a thin plastic rod into the hole and it seemed to hit nothing. I put a piece of tubing over one of the nozzles at the back of the switch and blew.....air came out the hole in the stem that the wiper knob was one. Interesting......

IMG_7445.JPG

Do you want total originality or would like to have period washers.  My '53 Buick (Pontiac's big sister) had  the jar on the firewall and the nozzels as part of the wiper mount.  Rather than engine vacuum or and electric pump there was a foot operated bulb on the floor between the clutch and brake pedal.  It was similar to this picture but more like one half of a ball with one line in and one line out.

Just a thought for something you may never have seen.

images.jpg

Thanks Tinindian...I usually strive for original. Your suggestion kinda reminds me of my first car a 1967 Mustang fastback. It had a foot lever that would sit above the floor high beam switch. When you pushed down on the lever, the wiper switch would activate and you would be pumping washer fluid on the windshield. I used to gently push it and hold it down with my foot to utilize it as a pulse wiper when the rain was very light. 

Edited by Summershandy (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Summershandy said:

I took the wiper knob off and it has a hole in the middle of it. I stuck a thin plastic rod into the hole and it seemed to hit nothing. I put a piece of tubing over one of the nozzles at the back of the switch and blew.....air came out the hole in the stem that the wiper knob was one. Interesting......

IMG_7445.JPG

That does suggest what I had thought- the stem goes down the center and probably forms the valve shuttle itself in the back of the valve block.

Phil