Field Find, what is it?

Tom357

Yep. 1928 or 1929 Ford Model A tudor sedan. 

NOT counting the extra-early "AR" models of 1928, the only way that I know to tell the difference between a 1929 and a 1928 Model A is the color of the steering wheel; black for 29, and reddish for the 28. There may be other ways, but I am not familiar with them. 

You might see a date stamped into the driver's side fire wall. Other signs of a 28 are the drum tail light, the placement of the emerg brake(in front of the shifter), no front motor mount,the engine bolted right through the cross member, some of which were retrofitted to a motor mount but the earlier cross member still has reinforcements, big funnel upper radiator outlet,windlace goes in and out of holes in the grill shell and I think a shroud on the radiator. Headlight lenses were fluted but these were converted to sealed beams

Millions were built, likely millions remain, many in better shape than this one. It's quite solid and complete but will be a lot of work to restore.To get the best estimate of value look on Ebay at COMPLETED LISTINGS. Sellers are free to ask any price they want. What counts is what a buyer is willing to spend on it. You can find that out in just a few minutes.

Don

6 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

For comparison I have an all original, rust free, driveable and road worthy '29 Tudor I would be happy to get $6500 for. I think $500-$750 would be a fair price. You can spend a lot of money restoring an A, $10 at a time.

I think you're right, VALUE-wise. The trouble is, as with a LARGE percentage of vintage project cars, the "going market price" for rough old cars is often much too close to the value of a finished car. It's very uncommon to be able to find a rough-but-complete old car which you can restore (or have restored), which will then be worth what the restoration actually cost in time, money, shop space, bloody knuckles, etc, etc. In truth, MANY old project cars ought to be free (to anyone who will commit to restore it). But even then many of those projects will be "upside down" financially when finished. Yet if you check the price for a rough older project, they are often not cheap.