'51 Chieftain - Windshield wipers

PhilAndrews

I was quite surprised just recently at a bit of engineering I found on my Chieftain.

The wipers didn't work when I got the car; putting the selector around would make them try to move but they were very stiff and I could just hear the motor hissing under the dash.

I took the motor out, cleaned and regreased it. That was straightforward. Tested it rocks to and fro with good force, and parks itself correctly.

I removed the spindle escutcheons. The spindles were very tight to turn, particularly the driver's side, which wouldn't rotate more than about ten degrees without binding up badly.

I looked to see but both ends of the spindle had been peened down, on the wiper arm fitting and the arm on the base. 

After a bit of investigation and poking about, I discovered how to rectify the problem.

20190106_205029.thumb.jpg.6bf45263df7c7bc3e7c6ce1bb1c823eb.jpg

Screw a grease nipple from the front suspension into the hole the securing bolt goes into. The drilling goes down and just breaks into the spindle area of the casting, meaning I was able to pump grease into the bearings, flush out the dirt and get them moving smoothly again.

That's not in the service manual!

Phil

Well, running the wipers off my other car running outside works.

20190119_131730_1.gif.c954bb8ed2c9fea46fa20e438428e8d3.gif

Next up, plumb in the washer pipes, get those up into place, I have pulled the vacuum/fuel pump off to try determine why both parts of it were disconnected by the previous owner.

Phil

I started to redo the vacuum lines from the manifold to the pump to the wipers.

Does anybody have a decent picture of the original pipe routing for the vacuum lines? I found a picture with the fuel line routing so I'm good there but my original vacuum system piping is so hacked up and/or missing I think I'm just going to buy some new metal pipe and start over.

Phil