Recommended Posts

This will be quite interesting to see what the 3 65 GS cars sell for. Have to wonder if having 3 cars all pretty nice in same auction will water down the bidding some. It will also be interesting to see if there is any evidence of color drastically affecting value.

 

Agree with jframe that white 63 going for $41k sold well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day.

 

Sorry, I don't know all the slight variations by year, but I always thought that the rear speaker grille in the 63s had the Riviera script and that the stylized R came in '64... (??)

 

Nonetheless, nice to see a few of these first gens on the block for a change...

 

Later,

 

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct on the emblem on the rear speaker grills.  Should be the same for the door panels and the steering wheel.  Did you see a picture on this thread that shows something different or are you just asking a question?  Just curious as I couldn't find a picture of the interior of the '63,

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, crap , sorry, the white one was a 65, I think jframe called it a '63 and I just looked at the pics without thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The white 63 is the only one sold so far. The three 65s all will sell on Thursday, 1/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be interesting  tomorrow ! The burgundy mist GS is the same car that sold at Gooding in 2015 for $110 K + $11 buyers premium  = $121 K and was discussed thoroughly on this Forum at the time . I bought a $200 paddle to bid on it and never got my paddle off my lap as two guys in front of me raised their paddles and never put them down until it hit $110 K . Check out the pics from then (which I saved ) and now. First two are from 2019 BJ  and second three are Gooding 2015 . Different battery  but rest looks identical to me .This will test the market . 

KReed 

ROA 14549

 

 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree this will be interesting. My 65 gs has the same factory color combo. Only mine was painted over by previous owner  with a cheap earl shieb red paint job which it still has today. I will be very surprised if the owner does not lose money 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if you bought a 65 GS, could you choose whether you wanted a black console or the wood veneer? I thought they were supposed to be all black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kreed said:

This will be interesting  tomorrow ! The burgundy mist GS is the same car that sold at Gooding in 2015 for $110 K + $11 buyers premium  = $121 K and was discussed thoroughly on this Forum at the time . I bought a $200 paddle to bid on it and never got my paddle off my lap as two guys in front of me raised their paddles and never put them down until it hit $110 K . Check out the pics from then (which I saved ) and now. First two are from 2019 BJ  and second three are Gooding 2015 . Different battery  but rest looks identical to me .This will test the market . 

KReed 

ROA 14549

 

 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Ken,

  I was in Scottsdale when this car went thru Gooding but we attended a different auction house. Correct me if I am wrong but as I recall almost every car, if not EVERY car, was a high end exotic at that auction except for this Riv. This was probably the cheapest car on property, right? BJ is a much different venue and audience, still alot of money being thrown around but for different reasoning, will be interesting.... But considering the radical difference in audience I`m not so sure this will be a test of the market, not really apples for apples in terms of the audience. Should be fun!

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bodayguy said:

So if you bought a 65 GS, could you choose whether you wanted a black console or the wood veneer? I thought they were supposed to be all black.

All consoles in 65 had the wood veneer, GS or not as well as standard or deluxe interior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the maroon car has a Stant Lever-cap which is known for hitting and denting the sheet metal on the hood!

Hello McFly!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Ken,

  I was in Scottsdale when this car went thru Gooding but we attended a different auction house. Correct me if I am wrong but as I recall almost every car, if not EVERY car, was a high end exotic at that auction except for this Riv. This was probably the cheapest car on property, right? BJ is a much different venue and audience, still alot of money being thrown around but for different reasoning, will be interesting.... But considering the radical difference in audience I`m not so sure this will be a test of the market, not really apples for apples in terms of the audience. Should be fun!

Tom

 

Hi Tom - you are right about the 65 GS being the "cheapest " car on the auction block at Gooding that day - that's the reason I went but.... The big dollars were in the room and the guy that bought it was NOT going to be outbid as he never took his paddle down! It went up in $5,000 increments and literally was sold in less than a minute . I took my $200 bidding paddle home as a souvenir 😎. Today's auction will , I believe, give us a little better idea of the market ( although clearly there will be plenty of big bucks in the room today too) . We'll see . 

KReed

ROA 14549

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that he absolutely had to have it, and it is back on the block two years later. And at a different auction, not back with Gooding. Great car. Love the colors. But he will not match the money from two years ago at Barrett-Jackson this year. I might be surprised, but not really the right crowd for this car there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the white one looks like someone painted the finned valve covers!  Would love to buy that white one though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kreed said:

 

Hi Tom - you are right about the 65 GS being the "cheapest " car on the auction block at Gooding that day - that's the reason I went but.... The big dollars were in the room and the guy that bought it was NOT going to be outbid as he never took his paddle down! It went up in $5,000 increments and literally was sold in less than a minute . I took my $200 bidding paddle home as a souvenir 😎. Today's auction will , I believe, give us a little better idea of the market ( although clearly there will be plenty of big bucks in the room today too) . We'll see . 

KReed

ROA 14549

 

Hi Ken,

  I think I misunderstood your original comment as being a comparison of the 2015 market versus today`s. If you were referring to just the present market then I agree. I think the pool of buyers at BJ, considerate of The Big Three`s offering AND muscle cars, is better suited than Gooding to present an accurate big stage auction house value on the cars. If I had my preference regarding real world values, I`d prefer to see these cars go through Russo and Steele, where there are more bargain hunters which would be more typical of the buying pool in general.

Tom

 

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, pyntre said:

4F75C6BE-C597-4ED3-9576-B0909A8D7024.jpeg

2F2BB50A-F8A8-4863-9162-73E678A66970.jpeg

This one sold for $62,700 including premium. $57,000 at the hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was original , low mile , but not that nice in my eyes ... there was a stick on pin stripe that was coming off in between the front fender and door jamb ,,, I don’t know , not picking on it , but oh my goodness that’s lots oh money ,,, but here at Scottsdale money is no object . I bought a couple of cheeseburgers for 40 bucks , that’s it🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the turquoise car...........It has the wrong center caps on the wheels, the dumb pinstripe down the side, and the right headlamp visor

rod is out of adjustment......all things that could be fixed in about five minutes and you can't fix these before running through Barrett Jackson? Hello McFly!

This is akin to competing at the Miss America pageant and wearing no makeup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We walked around the Maroon car ... I couldn’t believe how vulnerable a spot it was sitting in , the drivers door wide open , unattended , purses , belt buckles , and people milling by it by the droves ,,, I guess when you’ve decided to sell your car , you let your guard down on its well being ?!?!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A side note about the Burgundy Mist car, is that sticker on the air cleaner next to the snorkel correct for the year?

 

image.png.20615a7dbc88534e511d000fa607e28c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think that black 64 was a true dual quad car? If not I’m a happy man cause it sold for $47k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

A side note about the Burgundy Mist car, is that sticker on the air cleaner next to the snorkel correct for the year?

 

image.png.20615a7dbc88534e511d000fa607e28c.png

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, RivNut said:

Swapping emblems at the factory would be kind of hard since the Riviera was built in Flint, MI and the Skylarks were built at a different assembly plant.

The '65 Skylark Gran Sport was built in four different plants. Flint, MI , Baltimore, MD , Kansas City , KS and Fremont , CA.

Total production of the '65 Skylark Gran Sport for all three body styles was 15,780.

 

  Loren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White GS just sold for $50K +buyers premium - reality is setting  in on these cars which I am glad to see 

KReed

ROA 14549

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bodayguy said:

Do you think that black 64 was a true dual quad car? If not I’m a happy man cause it sold for $47k

Not if the description is correct. The description states it has an LX coded engine. The Super Wildcat option in 1964 was coded KX. Opps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now