Olympic conv on the bay

f147pu

The trunk is a little "model A Ford, the dash probably was not a light body color when the car was new,  I am not use to the glove boxes nor the particular style of instrument cluster via 1932 or 1933 (is that a late 33 or early 1934 thing ?),  there is no top boot (top folds super flat though -impressive), the grill shell ornament is Airman verses Olympic, it would be nice to have the rare a style  maroon Bakelite offset distributor cap (but the Chevrolet style works fine), and I am sure a couple of other little things but common with pretty much any restored 1930's car. 

Also, seems to have super nice hubcaps, crank hole cover, and other trim.

As a sidenote:   The engine air box on many Olympics does not have the door in the side all be it would get one real quick as super nice to have.  

All said this seems to be a very nice car.  

Seems there may be some question about it originally being a conv coupe. That chassis number's  body code is  "L11", which is a sedan.  In the Club Roster it's listed as "Conv. Coupe", but unlike the normal listings, it's in quotes.

Paul

12 hours ago, Justavoice said:

Bertha is quiet nice as she is. Plus she is getting a nice new building to relax in with full time constant heat and air where she can talk with her fellow Franklins. 😀

Knowing that her stable-mates will be touring cars must be a great relief to the old gal of not getting her top chopped.   

And I just remembered that f147pu has half a touring now. ...sorta. Well,...  at least the fresh air and sunshine part for the rear passengers.   :lol:

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Just a few points of info regarding this Olympic. It is not an 18B. It was apparently restored using an 18B parts car, as the dash is not original. Also, the serial number that is on the car has been swapped, and is from an 18B sedan. The last two digits indicate the body style, 11 is sedan, and 18 would be convertible coupe. I had hunted for an Olympic convertible quite extensively about 20 years ago, and I discovered that this particular car appears in the Franklin Club registry twice. It's original car number is 83-11569L18. It is listed under a last known owner in Maryland named Mr. Fowler. I dug around and found Mr. Fowler deceased, and then traced the car through two more owners to Mr. Quinn in Rhode Island. Mr. Quinn and I had several conversations about the car, but he was not ready to sell at the time. I believe the car was restored by Mr. Fowler, and much further back than 15-20 years. It appears to have held up beautifully. 

The color on the body is very close to being correct, but Olympics were never two-toned from the factory, and so the fenders would have also been tan.

I am the purchaser (fool ?) of the 1933 Franklin  Olympic Conv. Coupe. I was so glad to see Steve Braverman’s comments which confirm the corrections that were posted on the EBay listing. I grew up near Syracuse and went with my father in 1953 to see a Franklin that he made an offer on but it was not accepted.  I have several REOs  and an early Steam Locomobile  as well as T’s and other cars but no air cooled cars. I hope my Olympic, which I plan to pick up next week, is as nice as the pictures show. Just joined the Franklin Club and look forward to meeting other members, possibly in Cazenovia next July.  I live in Maine and am active at the Owls Head Transportation Museum. John Harris 207 644  1782 email: gutsyjohn@yahoo.com

• Like 2

Welcome John

I bought a Series 11A Sedan a bit over 2 years ago (2016 Hershey Fall Meet) and am hoping to make it The Trek at Cazenovia for the first time this year - stumbling block is I don't have a trailer, and if I did, I have nothing to pull it with, so I'm still pondering the practicality and reality of driving it the 653 miles each way at 40-45 mph. Maybe I'll drive our modern car across and scrounge a ride from you ;-)

Roger

John, 

Welcome to the happy world of Franklins. A very nice club and lots of knowledgable, friendly people.

What REOs do you have? I've got a basket-case 1908 Model G.  Will restore it someday once I get my Franklins all running. 

In response to Ransom Eli, my REOs consist of a 1908 Model B, 1916 5th touring, 1929 Flying Cloud Coupe, 1931 Royale reproduction Indianapolis Race car and a 1938 Speedwagon Fire Truck. You should join the REO Club if not already a member. The annual REO Meet is in Kerrville TX this coming July, 8-11.

Poverty Cove, email me so we can connect Franklin owners here in Maine.   email:gutsyjohn@yahoo.com phone 207 644 1782