Sign in to follow this  
Laughing Coyote

1917 Model T "Sears drivers training car"

I think the phone number in that configuration is nowhere near old enough. I'm not certain phone numbers even had 7 digits that early and I know that the usual way of writing them was for the first two digits to be letters - usually the initials or a code for the exchange. My phone number is the 60s was written PA5-xxxx for 725-xxxx.

It certainly could have been a "parade" car used in the mid fifties.  My phone number in 1947 was 21-708 (had been my Grand parents number since 1928).  We move and our new number was 74-3723, in 1956 the number became SPruce 4-3723 which later was written as 774-3723.

Neat old car.

That is what struck me too, initially. But if you read the signage on the rear of the car, and under the windshield, it says "Our first training car". So this was used as a promotional prop, or "getter" in more modern times. I do kinda like the idea that there could be current driver training available using T-model Fords !  😏.  -  CC 

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

That is what struck me too, initially. But if you read the signage on the rear of the car, and under the windshield, it says "Our first training car". So this was used as a promotional prop, or "getter" in more modern times. I do kinda like the idea that there could be current driver training available using T-model Fords !  😏.  -  CC 

Here is a driving school using Model T’s😀

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/events-calendar/model-t-driving-experience-2018/

Whatever. A running/driving, rust-free Model T at $8K/OBO is worth a look.

11 hours ago, C Carl said:

So this was used as a promotional prop, or "getter" in more modern times. 

Exactly!  The Sears logotype painted on the car

is from the 1970's or thereabout.  That logo was

not used in 1917.

Still, it can be a good car for someone, and thank you,

Mr. Coyote, for sharing it.

14 hours ago, kfle said:

Ha, My neighbor had a speedster that he gave me a ride in once.

He got confused and ran right into the car parked in front of where he wanted to park it.

He should have taken this class.

I declined the offer to give it a try.

Yeah, in my declining condition I am confusion susceptible. I would love to drive one  while I am theoretically still able. I would not feel comfortable on public roads. If I am ever back in Hickory' again, I will take the class.   -   CC 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Tinindian said:

It certainly could have been a "parade" car used in the mid fifties.  My phone number in 1947 was 21-708 (had been my Grand parents number since 1928).  We move and our new number was 74-3723, in 1956 the number became SPruce 4-3723 which later was written as 774-3723.

In the fifties our phone number was 2 longs and a short....... :P (seriously)