Were there optional gauges in 63-65 Rivieras?

first64riv

Thank you for the replies.  The reason I was asking was because I have a 3D printer that I want to use to make parts for my Riviera.  I have ABS filament, so I wanted to see if I could replicate a gauge holder if an optional one was available.  I am about to start restoring my interior so I'll see what ideas for parts pop up as I progress.

Chris

Where I think these guys blow it is a) the digital clock, and b) not making a conscientious effort to keep the spirit of the original cluster.  That is, use the general design (e.g. round rather than squashed), same color scheme, the same fonts, and the same numbering convention (e.g. a dot every 5 mph rather than a line every mile).

I've been trying to find out who reproduces this panel and see what it would take to make the gauges fit into the OE Riviera bezels.  It's a repo of a 1969 Chevelle SS panel.  I think it would look good in the original 63 - 64 style if  (it would have to have a 140 mph speedo though.)  I don't know what the space is at the bottom of the speedometer but i'm guessing it's the parking brake light.  It could be a start.

1969-Chevelle-Ss-Gauge-Cluster-Tachometer-Clock-Very.jpg

What about the optional BUICK tachometer?

I know these were offered by dealers back in the day.  I've seen some added to our 1st Gen Rivieras - some where the ashtray lid is, others somewhat awkwardly strapped to the steering column.  

Anyone know if the Buick tach was offered with brackets to fit the '63-5 Rivieras?

This post appears after a couple of comments on the V8Buick site:  

"OK, it's not really a factory option but it looks and works like it. I did this conversion using GM Nova SS gauges and a custom mounting setup inside the OE instrument cluster. I have about 70 hours to get this to look original. Using a repop cluster doesn't work since the radius of the gauges doesn't match the Wildcat faceplate. Also, the order of the gauges as installed in the Nova doesn't match the Wildcat lens. 
I have one set of good gauges left over that I could make another cluster. I'd have to have your instrument panel and the work is not reversible as the idiot light bosses are removed from the dash. The faceplate must also be modified. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical so a copper line must be run through the firewall to the engine. I tried to replicate the GM mounting of the shunt resistor (used for the ammeter) and wiring as much as possible.
PM me if interested. This should work on all 63 & 64 Wildcats and Electra's as well as 63-65 Riviera's."

70 Hours, wow! ; not really a new Mom and Pop industry.

70 hours to figure it out the first time.  Probably a lot less for the second and sequential ones.  Something you might undertake for yourself but if you were to try and replicate it for others,  you'd have to charge more than they'd be willing to pay.

I was looking at clock housings from 50's era GM cars. I did find one chrome 59 buick clock housing on ebay that measure 2" high internally. Probably fit a 2 1/16 gauge in it. For free standing gauge pods, I think they'd look amazing.

Clocks were standard equipment on the first generation Rivieras.  If you didn't order a clock on one of the other full sized models, you got a filler in the clock space in the dash.  That bezel is plain, no provision for a clock stem.  Looks perfect for a small tach to be housed in one.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I didn't word my post well. I meant in adding additional gauges in "pods", like the buick tach on the top of the dash. I think it would be possible to add you own gauges on the dash, using older factory buick (or others) clock housings to keep that factory designed look.

I'm in process of modifying one of those clock blanks actually. I cut the center out, and i'm mounting a Smiths dual gauge (oil pressure and water temp) behind it. Gotta figure out the mounting. 

The original owner of my '63 had 5 gauges installed in place of the ash tray.  The mount was made from a piece of metal that had the same black pebble finish as the rest of the console.  The gauges had their own switched light source.  The ash tray lid would close covering them if so desired.  

In the picture that's posted below, I just put them back in to show how they fit.  As I looked at it after the pictures were taken, I realized that the tach and the vacuum gauge were on the top row and the oil and temp gauges were on the bottom row.  The green piece of tape shows where the light switch was, the pieces of red tape show where the mounting screws were.  The pieces of blue tape shows where the top and bottom of the ash tray opening is.  You could only see the faces of the two bottom gauges,   They would still be in the car put when the positive post of my battery made contact with my hood and blew out the amp meter, I pulled them all and put the ashtray back in.

100_4800.thumb.JPG.e4c27dbaf50337dc73e036184ea7a643.JPG

100_4801.thumb.JPG.ba92cc8814c897f02c9e5989145599e2.JPG

Really like that setup a lot. It looks like it was well thought out, with the short sweep gauges peeking out the bottom area. The vacuum is especially helpful. They're 2" gauges?

The Smiths dual gauge to hold me over until I can save enough pennies to get the Autometer Prestige Black Diamond quad gauges.