Top material on a mid 20's closed car

Ovalrace25

Who is a good supplier of and what material grain types is my question of the day. I am doing a 1926 "woodie" and need to select the proper grain and material type for this project. PROBLEM is color will NOT be black. Looking for dark green or chocolate brown.  Anyone? 

If the top was painted than very likely it was painted canvas used.  For color matching the roof to the body, it was used on many car roofs even into the late 1920's. The boatyards I worked in were still using it to replace the original painted canvas boat cabin tops in the 1960's.  

Sometimes it's thought that the original tops were imitation leather, but often  that was used to  replace the original canvas after the cars had been out in the weather for years.  

The canvas comes in many different weights  (thickness) and widths. Plus there are several types of primers/sealers made to work with canvas that are compatible with modern paints and would hold up far better than the originals.

If you know your roof was not originally imitation leather, try searching for "canvas canoe" builders.  Some of them sell the canvas and sealers for DIY canoe builders.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)