Sign in to follow this  
Terry Bond

How do you know the year an Illinois Vehicle Registration Disc was issued?

I am not a license plate collector,  but like others who don't collect them, I have a few.  Illinois Registration discs have always been interesting, but how do you tell what year they were issued?  I know that pre 1911, vehicle owners had to pay a fee and were issued these aluminum discs to put onto their dashboard.  They were required to supply their own plates until state issued places appeared (1911).  The disc I have is No 2246.  Does anyone know what year it was issued?

Thanks,

Terry

Reg. Disc.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Hi Terry, see below for a 1907 local newspaper article related to your interesting little item there, Todd C

The_Decatur_Herald_Sat__Jul_6__1907_.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a reference for a range of numbers that would show when the numbering began and ended for a particular year?   It would help dating other such discs.  I may be able to acquire a few more of them.

Thanks,

Terry

Here is another article from 1908, after the first year of registrations, it says there were 14,000 in the first year 1907-08

The_Decatur_Herald_Sun__Jul_5__1908_.jpg

Thanks.  I guess the 4 digit number makes it pretty early.   It's certainly a keeper, and if I have a chance at others, I'll be able to put approximate dates to them.

Terry

It's amazing how much the AACA forum members know,

even with an obscure and specialized topic such as this.

Todd (Poci), thanks for supplying those interesting articles.

They really added to the historical context of Terry's disk.

• Like 1

Thanks John S, I was pleased to find them.  How I had them so handy is that my local newspaper (and presumably others) put their whole microfilm archive online and charge an annual fee for access.  The search engine for keywords seems excellent and I can access in seconds what would take days at the microfilm machine at the library.  I have found the newspaper here had pretty extensive coverage of automotive issues from circa 1904 through the 1920s.  They actually had a regular Sunday page of automotive news, lots of ads of course, and even a list of locals who bought cars that week and what kind(!)  Very interesting stuff, Todd C