capngrog

What's Going On in Macungie?

I was using Google Earth to explore the Macungie, Pennsylvania area when I happened to scroll across Macungie Memorial Park and noticed something interesting.  The date of the current Macungie googol earth photograph is Friday, June 06, 2018, and, on that date, it appears that some sort of vehicle show was setting up in the park.  The vehicles seemed to be a mix of old fire engines, wreckers, fuel tanker trucks, semi-trailer cabs etc.  What kind of a show was this?  Did anyone on this forum attend?  Whatever it was, it looked to have been very interesting.

To find the event, go to Google Earth and enter Macungie, Pa in the search box.  Macungie Memorial Park is about 1/4 mile east of the of the town center.

Cheers,

Grog

There is an annual truck show there around Father's Day I believe. I have never been but have been told by relatives and a friend that have attended that is is spectacular.

Last year was my first attendance . It is Antique Truck Show  and was great . There were classes for military , Fire , construction and freight . Old equipment from early teens that were chain driven to modern displays .  I believe I post a few photos here last year .

Was that an ATHS event ? I was at one in Washington State several years ago and it was very worth while.

Greg in Canada

1918 Packard 2 ton basket case

Pennsylvania. Gee, some of those trucks must have been new when Centralia started burning.

Now, there's a place for a fire apparatus show.

Bernie

• Like 1

Held every Fathers day weekend. Unbelievable event. Every sort, kind and type truck you can imagine. From fully restored tank trucks and cement mixers to ancient chain drives just as they were pulled out of the quarry swamp. From big momma Auto Cars to my little Chevy 1/2 ton JC. All are welcome. Big flea market but mostly truck stuff. Non judged event,  just a lot of good old boys having a lot of good old fun.

I put out a post last June urging attendance. There is a spectator fee ( just like the AACA should do) and the field is usually packed. If you're getting a bit tired of the same old, same old, check it out next June. Definitely worth a drive..............Bob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Was that an ATHS event ? I was at one in Washington State several years ago and it was very worth while.

Greg in Canada

1918 Packard 2 ton basket case

ATCA. BTW there's usually a ton of Canadians there. They even play the Canada national anthem after ours. Everyone stands and salutes both. NICE!...............Bob

Yes Antique Truck Club of America.  Lots of Mack trucks and others.  I was a member of ATCA many years ago and set up as a vendor there for Dodge truck parts and whatever else brand stuff I had accumulated.  Excellent show.

I am only familiar with the AHTS {American Truck Historical Society}, however I am sure the ATCA is likewise a very worthwhile organisation. When I google them I see there are way more chapters in the North East than the rest of the continent.  I am up here in the Pacific North West so it is not surprising this club is one I was unaware of.

Greg

Yes, ATCA was mostly a Mack truck centered group and Mack’s were built in Allentown and Macungie. Lots of Macks here on the east coast which explains the number of eastern based chapters.  ATCA does welcome all brands but they love Macks.  

Yes, ATCA (Antique Truck Club of America).  I try to attend Friday and Saturday before Father's Day.  There is no spectator fee but there are parking fees.  I usually park on a lot owned by the Boy Scouts.  Their fee is $5.00 a day but I like to give them a little more because they are nice boys and put in long hours there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1