Ignition cylinder woes

Spazzaroth

So I drove my car to work the other day and when I go to turn it off the ignition cylinder will turn all the way to the opposition but the car does not die or shut off and the electrical all stays on. I ended up having to pull the air intake hose off and block the air intake to kill the engine. And then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to shut the electrical off to the car.I'm guessing that this is some issue to do with the linkage between the key cylinder and the actual car ignition system. But I don't know where to start. Do I need to pull the steering wheel to fix this?

On 1/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, DAVES89 said:

I have a tan 88/89 steering column with a key if you are interested in buying it. Also can get a burgandy one.

If interested email me at;

lemke1044@aol.com

Will need your zip code to figure freight. 

I sent you an email.  sounds like The whole steering column is going to be the way to go.

35 minutes ago, Spazzaroth said:

But the task of how to remove it is still pressing.

Do you have a factory service manual. If so look on pages 3F2-9 and 3F2-10. Looks like It's complicated. I guess that's is the reason most people change the whole column.

I FULLY agree with those saying it is far easier to replace the column than to try and fix one. On pullers or special tools.

I have been involved in this situation many times.

If Dave has a column get it as they are Reatta only columns and getting hard to find. Riviera columns are slightly different as the cruise control  wiring is different and hard to fish wires in these columns.

You really should have the boot in place as it is there to keep road moisture from coming into the car...

I would think that a lock smith could fix these columns at a more affordable price. I'm a bit lucky as a good friend of mine has both the tools and the knowledge. 

I agree price was a little high but it was the only shop I could find that does this repair. Also agree the boot has a purpose, but you got to do what you got to do sometimes. My Reatta"s are now fair weather cars only so shouldn't be a big problem. 

well I got the column apart I got the part replaced and I got it all back together and the car is working. One slight snafu when I installed the lock cylinder apparently I had the switch on the ignition switch actuator in the accessory position. So now if I lock the steering wheel and remove the key the car turns on the radio. So have got a tear it back down get the ignition cylinder out and fix that. But other than that it was a successful operation the most difficult part was realigning the lock plate on the steering wheel shaft with the splines on the shaft as I was putting it back together.

• Like 1