Looking for Work Shop/Out Building advice

CarNucopia

Where ever you end up... consider the neighbors. I staked out my potential house several times at different times of the day to get a feel for the area. I was rewarded with two next door neighbors that are gear heads, nobody cares when we're making garage noise or what's in the yard. Only takes one crappy neighbor to rain on the parade! 

I purposely looked for a home in an agricultural zoned area... lowest restrictions on anything I could find for zoned plots of land.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, Buick64C said:

While there isn't one big building, there a two garages with about 1,200 sq/feet of space. Additionally, there is a small barn with another 800 sq/feet. Combined, there is enough space the store my current fleet and turn one of the garages in to a nice work shop.  Down the line, I could see adding more space, but I think I'm set for a while.

The new question I have is has anyone ever converted a barn to a nice work/storage space?

Hello Mr. Buick, very exciting news, you recall I said that multiple buildings seem ideal so you can have one for clean storage and another for work—especially dusty work like bodywork or woodworking. 

When I had my previously mentioned rural machine shed my storage problem was mice and I was never able to keep them out completely—I am not sure it is possible.  As you note the doors and windows are the primary problem, with the possibility of tunneling under the walls or floor depending on your situation.  I ended up buying a Car Capsule to (successfully) keep out mice and dust, photo attached.

Aside from that you can certainly make a nice workspace.  Depending on what you have to work with you can do walls and ceiling, then good lighting, power outlets and air supply, not necessarily in that order.  See attached and you will see my (new) garage interior using walls and (later) ceiling of ½” OSB panels and pegboard.  I used OSB rather than drywall for about the same money thinking the OSB would be more resistant to dents and holes.  I painted them white to help with lighting then just used 48” florescent lights from Menards for about $15 each.  There are other better (more expensive) fixtures but these were economical and dependable and did not require permanent installation in case I want to change them around later.  Will watch your post and hope to see photos and comment more when you move forward, good luck

Garage6.JPG

Garage11.JPG

Garage15.JPG

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

Where ever you end up... consider the neighbors.

Only takes one crappy neighbor to rain on the parade! 

I purposely looked for a home in an agricultural zoned area... lowest restrictions on anything I could find for zoned plots of land.

Unfortunately that is so very true!  We ended up between two jerk drunks (that's being nice) and they made our life heck for several years.  I will admit rejoicing a bit (no a whole bunch) when reading the death notices for each of them. 

The funny thing, moved into an area that has MANY vintage cars in the garages and barns.  In a 1 1/2 mile stretch there are Packards, Buicks, Cadillacs, LaSalles, Willys Knight, Stanley, Corvettes, Camaros, Mopar, 57 Chevy, Model A, lots of Mustangs (one guy's garage ended up in a book), Lincolns, several vintage tractors, cool steam roller, fire trucks and so much more.  And yep, we got stuck living between a couple turds. 

On the other hand, our house is set back on a private road.  Shortly after we moved in, the owner of the house closer to the road said he was being transferred.  We told him not to list the house, we knew a buyer and shortly thereafter a long time friend moved in.  The past 25 years, we've both helped each other on big jobs, borrow and share tools, consult and advise, lend a quart of paint thinner or pint of hardener and of course, wander out to nearby cruise nights.  Life is good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarFreak said:

Unfortunately that is so very true!  We ended up between two jerk drunks (that's being nice) and they made our life heck for several years.  I will admit rejoicing a bit (no a whole bunch) when reading the death notices for each of them. 

There is a 25 acre tract that backs our house.  I would really love to buy a portion of it to protect us from this fate.  Unfortunately the garage keeps eating my spare change so I hope I live long enough and the owner that has it now (which he bought to leave undeveloped) has it long enough for me to secure some of it.  I really need to make an effort to meet and express my interest in the same type of buffer to see if I can buy a portion.  The neighbor that knows him put the bug in his ear.  She said he sounded like he may be interested in some type of deal along those lines especially if I expressed my interest in keeping it undeveloped. 

Tis a shame how money always seems to be in short supply. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)