Sign in to follow this  
Lahti35

Interesting side-mount mirrors...

I ran across these and was wondering if anybody could identify them. They are not marked but they are large, heavy, quality pieces plated in nickel. These must have been for a big car by the scale of them... I was amazed how heavy they were when I picked them up. 

PS please excuse the blotted tags... I posted something once on another forum and it turned into a feeding frenzy that ended badly... lesson learned!

49422423_2196362960586334_8853558911534366720_n.jpg

50026312_1847725655349857_8365184004281860096_n.jpg

49897618_753016471729582_6010543200148652032_n.jpg

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

If you can get them at a reasonable price (say under $250.00 or so) then pick them up and offer them through forum or ebay so they get into the hands of someone who needs them - currently, sidemount mirrors are not being reproduced and quite a few people would like to have a decent presentable original set. 

I have no interest in them myself but will pass on the location to anyone if interested who contacts me via PM. If I had anything requiring side mounts I couldn't go wrong with these. 

These might have been generic or aftermarket or an automotive supplier may have produced them for several automobile manufacturers.

12 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

currently, sidemount mirrors are not being reproduced

What ever happened to Bill Shirer business out side of Detroit Mich.  He was an avid manufacturer of 30 /31 Cadillac parts including rear view mirrors. He was as great guy whos wife passed not long before him. The last batch of side mount mirrors Bill was making I remember the fellow trimmed the mirror disk so he could not fold the edge in on the glass so they had to glue it in. Extremely slow but his work was well worth the wait being about 87 when he passed. Bill supplied venders like Sanders some parts like the running board trim for one. We are loosing our talented suppliers fast.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Thr mirrors are from the 20’s.......off a large series car, they were a common accessory. Using that style after 1928 would look awkward on most cars, a few 29’s might pull it off. Today, most collectors are removing accessories not adding them, there is a glut of bolt on bling.......mirrors, trunks, lights, ect. In days gone by they would have been expensive and in demand, today they are not often perused and difficult to sell. Ed

• Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 4:25 AM, edinmass said:

Thr mirrors are from the 20’s.......off a large series car, they were a common accessory. Using that style after 1928 would look awkward on most cars, a few 29’s might pull it off. Today, most collectors are removing accessories not adding them, there is a glut of bolt on bling.......mirrors, trunks, lights, ect. In days gone by they would have been expensive and in demand, today they are not often perused and difficult to sell. Ed

This may be partially related to this example: The last set sidemount mirrors I had restored were around $1,500 and doubt they had ever been on a car from new (maybe once) and the last trunk I restored had maybe been used two or the times (all be it was large and had plenty of small nicks and paint, plus chrome never polished) and was around $3,500 for a repaint and chrome (not easier to restore either).  The real horrific expenditures tend to involve obscure metal sidemount tire covers.