wcbcdi

Old BOSS TIRE TOOLS

Hi All

Once again I'm asking for some help. Found this set of Boss Tire Tools at a yard sale but can't find any information on this set online. Looking at the picture of the tire on the box my guess is that this set is probably from the very early 1900s. Any information you may have on this set, or where to find some information would be appreciated. Please see the following pictures and thanks in advance.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

That's a cool set of tire tools.  Looking at the tire, could be around 1905-9 I think.  Used for clincher or split rim type tires.  I see the instruction sheet specifies for use on demountable tires and it shows smooth thread style tires, which make it pretty early.  They sure would look good on display in my recreated old auto parts store. 

Terry

20160508_154800.jpg

• Like 3

Terry

Thank you for dating the tire tools. Your store is very impressive. You did a great job.

As for what I paid for the tools. The seller wanted $5.00 and that's what I paid.

Joe

• Like 2

Wow, BEAUTIFUL set of tools! So very uncommon to find in the box, too. Heavy tools which were often made quite dirty and greasy through regular use would quickly destroy fragile cardboard boxes. Good for you. 

Thank you. I know I was very fortunate to find these tools with the original box. In the 3 years I've been searching yard sales this is only the 2nd 'treasure' I've found.

Terry ,wow I do like your part store.Would you please post some more pictures? Thanking you in advance pete

• Like 1

I agree, I would like to see more pix of your fabulous antique parts store, but lets not hijack this thread.

Agree, hate to hijack a thread so will post something separately.  The "old store" is something that evolved over a long time to display my collection(s) of auto stuff.

Those tire tools are great in the original box and I agree, it was a great yard sale find. 

I've not often had much luck at conventional yard sales, but haunting them in older neighborhoods does produce some occasional treasure.  I once found a whole box of early literature, originally assembled by someone who made it a habit of visiting Norfolk VA auto dealerships, collecting sales brochures.  He started about 1928 and years later, the kids who inherited the property put it all out at a yard sale.  There were about 25 catalogs there, from Buick to Pierce. 

These days I think the part-time amateur antique dealers selling on ebay seem to get there the night before.

Terry 

Thank you for your interest. I currently have the tools up for sale on eBay. I really do not know what they are worth so I just plucked a price out of the air and am now waiting to see if I get any bids.  Joe

Terry

I don't know if that's way too high or way too low. Like I said, I just pulled a number out of the air and am now waiting to see what happens. 

Joe

I think it’s reasonable, just mentioning it so others can decide.  Good luck with the sale, it’s a great find I would have trouble parting with if it were mine.  

image.png.f35fbeff465755a30832c730023d6f53.png

Does anyone know the purpose of the tools in Figures 2 & 3?

The tool in Figure 3 is listed in the instructions as a "Straight Wheel Tire and Spoke Grip."

Looking at the illustration, it appears that this tool was intended to keep the tire from "following" the spoon tools around the rim (in other words, to anchor the tire bead which had already been pried back over the lip of the rim from simply pulling itself back out, as the spoons are worked around the circumference of the rim.) The bottom end of that tool is designed to fit over a wood spoke, which would then hold the tool in place, and the other end of that tool would anchor the bead over the rim of the wheel, so it cannot work its way back out while the installer is working his way around the rim. 

If you have ever tried to hand-mount a tire and tube around a rim (even a bicycle), you will probably know exactly what I mean with my poor explanation above. 

The tool in Figure 2 is described as a "Demountable Rim Grip." And looking at the line-drawings of the tools in use, it would seem to be a tool to aid the tire installer with hanging on to the steel demountable rim while trying to pry the tire on or off of it. 

Maybe someone with greater experience will have better idea on this? 

lump,

Your Figure 3 explanation is perfectly clear. I see now how it is used. 

That little item is probably worth buying the whole kit. 

Speaking from one who has been there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, old car fan said:

going to a great home,we use them.I

Excellent!