DB and Ford

Jim Anselmo

I was questioning the assertion of Nolan J Sykes who seems to think that Dodge and Ford attract different types of people today as they did back then... For all I know he may be right ...I  have my doubts. Today there are wealthy people who will buy a Ford,  whereas the Model T was aimed directly at the working man and the Dodge Brothers at those who saw it as a step up in society.  What ever the case, I liked the link and it was good to hear the story told - something which many people seem to have no understanding of today. 

Actually we need more pioneers like the Dodge Brothers these days.  In my view it will take business entrepreneurs to make America great again ,,,but that's another story.🤔 

Ray.

• Like 2

I agree Ray, the differences I've encountered are personal as well.

As a Mopar fan all my life it seems the 426 Hemi, 440 Magnum GTX and other various monsters of the day were always second fiddle to the Ford groupies. As someone who's never liked Mustangs (or Camaros for that matter everyone owns one so I have to have one mentality) I'm always amazed how Ford can produced countless millions and get such notoriety yet Dodge/Plymouth all the while creating a unique limited brand and would get virtually no respect from the Ford crowd. Over the years as I've met Ford owners at times I've found that most are ….. (fill in the blanks). 

Now that I'm getting older that respect for Mopar has me looking at the historical side of it and even while doing some research recently I've reached out to a Ford historian and after several cordial emails he decided to end it with "if you really want to have some fun get a Ford". I know he meant well and was just taking the usual Ford owner shot at a Dodge owner but all I could think was how arrogant that sounds and they all seem to have it. But why, what caused Ford owners to become such entitled royalty ? 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

That's just how my father viewed DB and Ford.  He beat it into my head that there was no comparison between DB and Ford.  He never owned a Ford car.  He bought his 24 DB Roadster out of a junk yard in 1934 for $50 when he was 16 years old.  Learned to work on engines because of this and as a result he was an airplane mechanic in WWII and not on the front line.  Before he died he made me promise him I would take care of the Dodge.  I honored his request and the 24 Roadster is still part of the family and running great.  I will make the same request of my son.

• Like 2

I do not like Nolan Sykes's videos because he is a real intellectual lightweight who knows a lot less than he claims to, and makes things up.  He made a lot of historical mistakes with the DV v. Ford video.  For example, Dodge Bros. never bought Ford, nor did they ever invest $10,000 in Ford. 

• Like 1

Over this side of the Pond the last bastions of the British Class system seem to hang on with Rolls Royce and Bentley.  If you buy a Rolls Royce you are probably a business tycoon.  If you buy a Bentley you are more likely to be a professional footballer.😁

1 minute ago, 22touring said:

I do not like Nolan Sykes's videos because he is a real intellectual lightweight who knows a lot less than he claims to, and makes things up.  He made a lot of historical mistakes with the DV v. Ford video.  For example, Dodge Bros. never bought Ford, nor did they ever invest $10,000 in Ford. 

I have read the book on Dodge Brothers by Charles K Hyde.  It is a carefully researched  work and differs in several respects from the Sykes video. 

Ray.

• Like 1

It seems that I have landed in Ford country Rock Hill, South Carolina. Everything around me are Fords I went to a car show and noticed the DB stamping on the front axle of one of the Fords on display and got to talking to a couple of Ford owners and made the mistake of saying  "Dodge created Ford and Ford created Dodge" was asked to leave. I come from Southern Oregon where our peaks are as tall as the mountains in South Carolina so if you wanted to drive up a mountain drive a Dodge if you wanted to back up a mountain drive a Ford. 1917 Dodge Brothers Business Car, 1919  Dodge Brothers Touring mine also will stay in the family but their back in Oregon so the Dodges will be home again.

3 minutes ago, businesscar1917 said:

I come from Southern Oregon where our peaks are as tall as the mountains in South Carolina so if you wanted to drive up a mountain drive a Dodge if you wanted to back up a mountain drive a Ford. 

You may jest but the early Austin Sevens had a habit of running out of petrol on hills if it got low in the tank.  The answer was to turn the car round and go up backwards.  You Yanks were SO much more advanced than the British.🤗

Ray.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 22touring said:

They actually did.......sort of.

Ford wasn't paying and the Boys made a deal for a line of credit.