Who made this 20's 4 cyl engine?

prewar40

This is a Chrysler Product engine.  Notice the oil pump mounted outside  on the passenger side of the block. The oil pan does not have a sump but looks like a baking pan.  The Carb has a one piece body which makes it a pre 29.  The exhaust manifold  exits to the rear of the engine by the firewall which says it has a good chance of being a 28 Plymouth engine which was from the Maxwell family. On the drivers side of the engine toward the front on the side of the block is the stamped serial #.  This will tell you what it is.  A 28 Plymouth engine starts with a Q.

17 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

This is a Chrysler Product engine.  Notice the oil pump mounted outside  on the passenger side of the block. The oil pan does not have a sump but looks like a baking pan.  The Carb has a one piece body which makes it a pre 29.  The exhaust manifold  exits to the rear of the engine by the firewall which says it has a good chance of being a 28 Plymouth engine which was from the Maxwell family. On the drivers side of the engine toward the front on the side of the block is the stamped serial #.  This will tell you what it is.  A 28 Plymouth engine starts with a Q.

Cylinder head casting has a "U" on it. You are correct in the location of the engine serial number stamping location and that will definitively say if it is a Chrysler product and if so what. But that "U" would lead me to guess a 1929 Plymouth rather than 1928.

Pretty sure this is a Chrysler 50 or 52 motor from 1927/8 and it IS right hand drive, as seen from the clutch pedal. I seem to recall my model 52 had this U casting on the head too.

May also be 1928 Plymouth.

Look for the engine number on the left side of the block, it will be below the centre head bolt  . From this number we can identify it.

Also if you look on the right side of the block there is a casting date, this can be partly seen in the photo's, but the year is hidden behind the oil pipes.

Edited by viv w (see edit history)

Cannot conclusively read the letters on the carburetor. It APPEARS to be CRAJX0, which would be a 1927 Chevrolet.

If you could post the letters, I can narrow down the carburetor.

RAJH0 would be some form of Chrysler

EDIT: It cannot be a CRAJX0 as that carb has a cross-flange.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

17 hours ago, DFeeney said:

This is a Chrysler Product engine.  Notice the oil pump mounted outside  on the passenger side of the block. The oil pan does not have a sump but looks like a baking pan.  The Carb has a one piece body which makes it a pre 29.  The exhaust manifold  exits to the rear of the engine by the firewall which says it has a good chance of being a 28 Plymouth engine which was from the Maxwell family. On the drivers side of the engine toward the front on the side of the block is the stamped serial #.  This will tell you what it is.  A 28 Plymouth engine starts with a Q.    I do not believe this is a 29 U engine.  Prior to 29 Chrysler/Plymouth used the Maxwell design.  In 29 when Plymouth came out with it's new design engine it has a sump in the oil pan. The pressure relief valve was no longer in the center main cap but on the drivers side of the block. The shape of the head was quite different,  The 28 head almost looks like it was cut out of a flat piece of steel on a band saw. The 29 head looks like a casting.  The 29 exhaust header came down the front of the engine, not the rear by the firewall like the Q.  The header shown in the picture does not look like a 28 Plymouth upon closer inspection. I tend to agree with the gentleman who said it was a 27/28 Chrysler 50/52.   The serial number will define it.   Life is Good

I rebuilt a very original low mileage, one owner, 1927 model 50 RHD tourer and a 1928 model 52 RHD tourer .

I do recall the model 50 had an ignition wiring distribution TUBE, taking the wires from the distributor to the plugs, the model 52 had 2 brackets bolted to the head, that had a U shape cut out of them to hold a rubber grommet with the wires running thru the grommets. 

The engine that prewar 40 posted, show these type 52 brackets, one is quite clearly seen as it is bent over around the number 2 plug, the other is harder to see just underneath plug 1. It is possible that Chrysler used the same model 52 engine in their early 1928 Plymouth's.

Spinneyhill,  the picture you posted above, could very well be a model 52 LHD engine, the carb on it is Model A Ford and I'm pretty sure the autovac is a replacement. The inlet and probably the exhaust manifold is different on the LHD and RHD cars. Also according to the parts book, there were two different ex/in manifolds for the RHD cars. One thing I have learnt over the last 40+ years working on early Chrysler cars, is never take it for granted that any two cars from the same series are the same.  There were many differences  in their cars during production and it can be very confusing trying to restore a car from parts. 

The only way to really date this motor from Prewar40 is from the engine number.

Somewhere I have pictures of both my engines, I will dig them out and post them in the next few days.

Found my pictures.

The black and white image is a RHD 1928 Chrysler model 52, fitted with a model A carb.

The color  photo one is a RHD Chrysler 1927 model 50. This car had a documented 11000 miles from new. As far as I know the carb was original to this car.

Note the difference between the manifolds on these 2 motors and the LHD one in Spinneyhills earlier posting.

I also retract my comment about the autovac in Spinnyhills post, it appears Chrysler may have used several suppliers or changed the autovac type during the years.

Viv.

chrysler motor images 2.jpg

chrysler motor images 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...