Garnet Red 57 Roadmaster 75

Smartin

On 4/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, Smartin said:

It does have a clutch fan.  I’ll have to check to see if it works anymore.  

Installed a thermal lock-up clutch on my Roadmaster today.  I will test it before the Saturday Club Show.  Temps this week will be in the lower 90s.

Fan Clutch Thermal.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Caballero2 said:

Installed a thermal lock-up clutch on my Roadmaster today.  I will test it before the Saturday Club Show.  Temps this week will be in the lower 90s.

Fan Clutch Thermal.jpg

Today's temperature is 92 degrees now.  Temperature on the highway is dead center on the 'N'.

• Like 2

Bound and determined for a gold award on the next round of judging, I have to open up the check book.  Pretty sizeable order to CARS, Antique Auto Battery, and Auto Zone (for brake parts).

The bummer about points being deducted on certain original items like trunk material and hood insulation, is that it's the original stuff.  Not that it's in terrible condition, it just isn't great.  So, since condition plays a role in point value, I have to replace these original items to clean things up a bit.

Things I need to focus on for next time - rechrome fuel door, clean up outside of fuel tank, clean spare tire (oops), install plastic valve stem caps (someone told me to put on metal ones previously), engine compartment general condition (needs a virtual gut job without messing with the AC), clean up all wires in engine bay that are coated in paint, original style battery, replace hood insulation, clean up small stain on driver front seat, somehow procure an orange/brown power brake pedal pad that isn't worn, replace trunk lining material...and I think that's about all I can do at this point. 

This year's judging score was 375.  If I fix all this stuff,  it will be around 388 with no mandatory deductions.

• Like 3

I thought the battery just needed to be a Delco branded, not an original style. Although there may not be that much difference in price any more.

It is too bad the original parts have to come out in the quest. But for 400 points that is what it takes.  I just hope it doesn't make you think twice about driving it.

I have no problem driving the car.  As far as the battery is concerned, I think the look of the original style is great...and seems to be the only way I can find a battery that will fit with the original style hold-down bracket.

Since the majority of the car has been worked over, (ie. new paint and upholstery), I am more apt to change out the old tattered hood insulation and trunk lining.  Most of the engine compartment has been spray bombed, too...so originality has gone out the window pretty much completely.  Time to spruce it up the right way.

56 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I have no problem driving the car.  As far as the battery is concerned, I think the look of the original style is great...and seems to be the only way I can find a battery that will fit with the original style hold-down bracket.

Since the majority of the car has been worked over, (ie. new paint and upholstery), I am more apt to change out the old tattered hood insulation and trunk lining.  Most of the engine compartment has been spray bombed, too...so originality has gone out the window pretty much completely.  Time to spruce it up the right way.

Adam:

As far as the battery is concerned, I have a reproduction Delco battery (attached photos)sans electrolite which I am willing to make available to you.  Also I have a fan clutch that was NOS one thousand miles back.

Dan (Caballero2)

Repro Delco Group 29 Battery.jpg

Repro Delco Grp 29 Battery.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Smartin said:

Since the majority of the car has been worked over, (ie. new paint and upholstery), I am more apt to change out the old tattered hood insulation and trunk lining.  

Are you changing the trunk boards or just the fabric?

2 hours ago, Smartin said:

Just the fabric...I think the cardboard side pieces are in ok shape.  Are there reproductions available for the boards?

There are, but they don't have the pattern in them.  However, it can be reproduced pretty well such as I did for coupe.  However, I wanted to do it again with a larger sample to make it even better.  That's kinda why I was asking, in case you were going to replace them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Months ago when I made the order to CARS for some stuff, I ordered trunk fabric.  Low and behold, it is NLA.  I'm going to just leave it for now...as I might have to let this car go sooner than expected.  I am still trying to hold out for Strongsville to have it judged again, but I also need to free up some cash for this building I'm putting up.  I'll chip away at what I can on this car to keep correcting issues, but don't see the whole list getting rectified.

One small victory this evening...I was not in a mood to roll around in rust and grind on metal, so I decided to replace the hood insulation.  Lance was kind enough to send me the dimensions and I got a full sheet to cut on my own.

IMG_2883.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

I'm sure you will have the issues you listed sorted out in no time Adam.

I'm curious regarding the transmission Park issue.

Is it not going into the lock position?

I tried adjusting the linkage with no success on my Special only to find later when I swapped out the transmission for a total rebuilt unit the the transmission mount had separated not allowing the linkage enough adjustment to engage properly.

Let us know when you get into it please.

When I first found out that there was an issue with the car going into gear (when I bought it) I immediately checked the linkage.  Everything lined up perfectly, and I even removed the linkage from the trans and shifted it manually there.  No dice.  The speedometer isn't working either, which leads me to believe there is a bigger problem in the ass end of the trans.  I have a rebuilt one sitting here, but I will try to fix this one first.

• Thanks 1

Transmission is out.  Both mounts were broken...but even when I manually put it in park I can still turn the shaft.

The speedometer cable was sheared off at the transmission.

Wipers were all boogered up, but that was a fairly easy fix.  

I have ordered torque ball seal, mounts, and speedo cable...so while I wait for parts, I will tackle brakes tomorrow.

5A2D6B27-2B29-471F-96F1-8B970BF52762.jpeg

E006F197-0B5A-4CAF-9F74-2385F67AD892.jpeg

AA323C96-4E92-4A68-A6D0-CD1652DA4BB1.jpeg

• Haha 1

Well, I replaced all wheel cylinders and soft hoses, bled, and adjusted brakes.  It's in the air with the transmission dropped out of it right now, so I can't test.  I felt the pedal....doesn't feel any different.  Seems soft.  Maybe I'll bleed again tomorrow.

The transmission mounts and speedo cable will be here Friday-ish.  Hopefully I can get the car on the ground this weekend.

Without anything else I can do mechanically right now, I have the bright idea to start cleaning the front suspension...or excavating, as Lance calls it.  That's an accurate term when referring to the front end.  Probably one of the dirtiest jobs to be done...it requires a pan or bucket of diesel fuel and various scrapers and brushes.

At least I can put to bed the issue of "what color are the control arms supposed to be?" question.  They're as bare as the day is long.  It appears that most of the other suspension parts are, too.  I notice a little bit of bluing on the sway bar.  The springs are bare.  Backing plates are as suspected...kind of a gold-silver plating.  Ball joints have been replaced, as have the inner and outer tie rods...according to old receipts.

Question for the gallery - would it be worth it for me to spend another day or two cleaning up the undercarriage of this car to increase possible sale price?  This was about 4 hours of work...and it's a horrible job.  I sure do like the look when I stick my head under the front bumper and see clean parts, though.

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

• Like 4

I went and bought a low profile transmission jack yesterday...and it's only about 2" shorter than my regular one.  Save yourself the $319.  I will have to jack the car up significantly higher in the front so I can slip it in. I remember that when I did the flight pitch in my 58, I was able to slide the trans under the car without a jack, and then shimmy it onto the jack once under the car.  This one is WAY too heavy for that.  The flight pitch is all aluminum, and much lighter.  I could barely get this one onto the jack.

At least I had a 20% off coupon. 

Just waiting on mounts so I can get this thing installed. 

IMG_3976.jpg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mounts came today...got the trans installed.  Stupid speedometer cable didn't come in the same box, and is late on shipping. So it will be here tomorrow.  Hopfeully I'll have it test driven tomorrow sometime.  If not then, Sunday for sure.  It's supposed to be 61 here Sunday.

In other news, it's for sale:

• Like 2

Test drive went well yesterday...the transmission took almost 3 gallons of fluid.  Woof.

I tried to spin the speedometer by hand before hooking up the cable....it was really stiff.  I didn't want to risk breaking something else, so I am leaving it disconnected.  I have a local person coming out to inspect the car this morning for possible sale.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Thanks, Joe.

I am continuing to work on these brakes.  Replacing rear shoes this week, and swapping the check valve with one I know that works.  I don't think I looked at that yet.  Aside from that, there isn't anything else besides hard brake lines that I haven't replaced.  With the exception of the pedal itself.

I also have to look into the speedometer issue.  I'm hoping that is just a lubrication issue.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sale pending...

Speedometer is fixed.  The input for the cable was really gummed up.   had to dissect the entire instrument cluster and remove the drum...got it all lubed up and it works really great now.  I will probably be removing the radio for the new owner so they can get it sent off to be fitted with modern guts.  I believe I will be housing the car for the next few weeks while all of this stuff is sorted out.  Plus the weather is going to turn to crap in the next 24 hours.

I have brake shoes coming tomorrow morning.  Also looking at fixing the intermittent power seat switch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The new owner picked up the car on Sunday.  While working on the brake issues, we decided to go through the cooling system and clean out the radiator, and replace the water pump.  They intend to drive this car a lot, so we wanted to make sure there were no hidden problems that I never really got to sort out. 

The radio is still out at the shop doing the conversion, so once that gets back here, I'll install it for him at his place.  He also indicated last night that the dash lights aren't working.  So I am on the hunt for a headlight switch if anyone has one handy.

They had intentions of bringing it out to the big Easter car show on Easter Sunday, but it's been canceled...big bummer all around.

I have a video of the car driving away...will post when it uploads to YouTube.

• 7 months later...