Garnet Red 57 Roadmaster 75

Smartin

I'm going to rehash a few photos I posted in another thread so I can keep them documented with this car.  Torque tube was unpainted from the factory, along with several paint stripes - yellow, blue, and red.

I'm still on the fence on whether I will be trying to preserve this, or paint it all black, and recreate the stripes.  I don't think I can get the other parts of the rear end assembly this clean, so I will probably go with black.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

• Like 1

My torque tube (1940) was painted semi-glass black as was expected for that year.  Mine also had a red stripe around the circumference of the tube, located near the carrier.  The red stripe was the same paint used on the axle hubs to indicate the rear end gear ratio. I've seen several 1940 torque tubes and all were painted but only one had the gear ratio stripe remaining.  I guess we need to give more credit to manufacturing inconsistencies don't we?

Your torque tube doesn't appear to have any surface rust on it; that's odd.  I would be giving way to wild speculation to understand what you've got.  Are you creating a show car for judging purposes?  That goal would certainly play into your choice of direction.

You appear to have two different color stripes.  If one was gear ratio, would the other be to identify the transmission?  I like the little rubber grommet on the emergency brake guide.  In 1940 Buick used a rubber hose inserted through the hole with wound wire crimped on each side of the guide to hold it in place.

I'm going with black, and recreating the stripes.

It does appear in the photos that there is no surface rust, but it is cakes pretty bad mostly on the top side where the undercoating was not covering.  I couldn't get it to look right, so I am painting it semi-gloss black.  I will paint the pumpkin primer red as it came.

• Like 2

I ordered tires from Summit since they have free shipping.  Those will go to the tire store tomorrow to get mounted. 

I have the two pieces of torque tube and rear end painted ready to be assembled.  I still need to spray some red primer on the differential.

The parts car is now in position to have the rear end ripped out.  I need to blow this thing apart anyway...might as well start now.

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/23/2019 at 8:41 AM, Smartin said:

I'm going with black, and recreating the stripes.

It does appear in the photos that there is no surface rust, but it is cakes pretty bad mostly on the top side where the undercoating was not covering.  I couldn't get it to look right, so I am painting it semi-gloss black.  I will paint the pumpkin primer red as it came.

Did you find evidence of red primer on the pumpkin?

After nearly a full day of shopping (sigh), I tackled the parts car and went as far as I could go before having to clean up and get ready to go out this evening.  I was able to remove the rear end/tube, extract propeller shaft, reinstall other shaft, and reinstall the rear in the car.  I will tighten everything back up tomorrow when I have some time and daylight, since I am working outside in the driveway for this.

So, the prop shaft that came out of the parts car is in great shape.  Splines are greased really well and u-joint has zero slop.  They look slightly different, as seen in photos.  I believe the one in the "good" car has been replaced at one point.  Hmmm...although the bad shaft did seem to lock into the parts car rear ok.  I made sure it was all the way in so it would reach as much of the spline surface area as possible.    Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to drive this car around the yard as much as I need to.

I'll try to get the good car back together and the new tires mounted.  I got them back from the shop today and they were fighting them all day yesterday.  I figured they would, with how they were packed.  He said they left them in the sun and a heater blowing on them all day.  $60 to mount them, though...can't complain.  It looks like tomorrow or Monday will be the only good days to wash that blue crap off, with the temperature dropping like a rock this week.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smartin said:

Wondering if the park pawl is accessible without removing the transmission.

I can't help answer this but I'm sure if you gave Jim Hughes in Ohio a call that he would be able to answer this and likely have parts you would need.

It seems to be a somewhat common issue with 57 / 58 dynaflows as mine was broken in the Special and a fellow '58 owner here had the same problem. No amount of adjustment helped there.

Good Luck, you certainly got at this one quickly enough! 

Looks like she deserved it! 😎

It can be done, but the rear assembly will need to be pulled or pulled back, engine and transmission supported, transmission support removed...

Get the parking brake working well and drive it for now.  You may find other transmission issues that will need to be fixed at the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

It can be done, but the rear assembly will need to be pulled or pulled back, engine and transmission supported, transmission support removed...

Get the parking brake working well and drive it for now.  You may find other transmission issues that will need to be fixed at the same time.

What Willie said!

Ben

I made a feeble attempt to clean off the blue stuff from the tires today in the shop, but it will have to wait until I can get it outside with the hose and some comet.  But I did wipe the crap off the car that's been collecting on it for who knows how long...cleans up nice!

On another note, I have been in contact with the previous owner (before the French billionaire), and he verified the mileage is correct at 46k, and sent me a massive pile of receipts from his ownership AND the previous owner to him.  This car has been well-loved and it shows.  I did find out that he named the car Jackie.  So, that is what its name is now. 

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am told that the pawl mechanics can be serviced without removing the transmission,  I  seems to me that I got that from a thread on this forum years ago.  What few know or forgot is that this car cannot be trailered with the transmission in park.  The rocking motion, fore and aft, hammers the finger off the pawl.  This was the problem with my first Caballero.

Follow this link to HoboBuick June 14, 2015

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/241455-help-tranny-not-shifting-into-p-or-r/?tab=comments#comment-1365900

Dan

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On January 28, 2019 at 10:17 PM, dei said:

Wish I was further along with my '58's.

These '57's are starting to grow on me and I know of a Super that has been off the road for a long time in good storage but...

199177361_1957BuickSuper-FunonWheelscarShow1983.thumb.jpg.4a19fdc144a5bdf5428be504b32e586d.jpg

Doug, are you saying you're getting the 1957 Buick bug? 😀  At least you'll be in good company !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I played musical cars this afternoon so I could get Lance's car into the shop, and mine OUT so I can (hopefully) get it to the exhaust guy sometime in the next week.  This required me to move the parts car into the grass area between the garage and shop, move my 57 out of the shop, slide the orange 72 out of the way, move Lance's car into the shop, move my car back into the house garage, and the orange 72 back in front of the shop.

While it was still light out, I shot a couple photos.

The brakes were pretty terrible, so I assumed I just didn't bleed them enough when I reconnected the rear end.  So, before I tucked in everyone else's cars, I rolled it back into the shop and put it on jacks.  Not too long ago, I bought a pressure bleeder so I don't have to mess with that crappy mity-vac that I really don't trust to bleed brakes.  Upon bleeding the rears, everything appeared to be great...no air came out that I could see.  I pushed a bunch of fluid through there, too.  The left front seemed fine when bled.  Right front had no fluid.  Crap.

Off came the tire and drum.  Yanked off the cylinder and pulled it apart.  I found some awesome stuff in there.  Cleaned it out and reassembled, installed, and bled all 4 corners again.  I think I used about a quart of fluid to make sure it was all bled.

Brakes still suck.  Power assist is there, but the pedal damn near goes to the floor.  I also adjusted all of the brakes while it was in the air.  I'm not sure where  I am missing out.  The only thing I can think that is wrong is the master cylinder.  Wrong size displacement piston maybe? 

Carburetor is not a happy camper, either.  There is plenty of work to do before this thing is road-worthy.

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

• Like 1

You might think about pulling the master cylinder.  I had dicey brakes on one my cars (long pedal, etc.).  Upon inspection, the piston in the master cylinder was severely corroded.  I'm not talking pits; it was eaten away like it had been chewed on.  Fortunately, a good hone job cleaned up the cylinder and a rebuild kit fixed everything up.

You might also measure your drums. If they've been turned or worn, you'll get a longer pedal.  I just put new rear drums on a car the other day and it changed the feel of the brakes dramatically.  It's now much firmer and has a shorter pedal travel.

I got the car back from the exhaust guy yesterday.  He’s an artist!  Super quiet exhaust note that belongs on a car like this, and with the engine running so smoothly, it’s like a new car.

I ran across some other paperwork from the previous collector who apparently had a bunch of cars they never exercised.  Here is a log of their routines on exercising this one...

image.jpg

• Like 1

A "run log".  That's something I never would have though of.  Having so many cars does have it's own set of problems. 

Meanwhile I have been revisiting pictures from my trip to the Portland National meet in 2014, which now includes some pictures from Ed  Allmond's camera as well.  Here are two 57's you may be intrigued by from the Portland meet. These have not been edited and as such I think the 2 Dr is the salmon color, but cannot be certain.  

Anyway, just thought you might enjoy looking at these. 

57's at portland national (1).JPG

57's at portland national (2).JPG

57's at portland national (3).JPG

57's at portland national (4).JPG

57's at portland national (5).JPG

57's at portland national.JPG

• Like 5

Tomorrow, this car is being used for a photo shoot  for a pinup model, and some vintage stuff with my wife.  So I had to brave the crappy weather today to clean off the blue crap from the white walls and hose off the extra scuzz that has been on the car since I brought it home.  It sure would be nice if we had a sunny day once in a while!

Looking at the photos, I don't like how high the rear sits.  It has coil-over shocks, and I'm sure that is a contributing factor.  I was in a hurry to get the car on the ground when I swapped the driveshaft, so that project got sidelined.

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

• Like 7