Garnet Red 57 Roadmaster 75

Smartin

• 2 weeks later...

Great shots and wonderful find, Adam!

I put new original spec springs in my 58 Roadmaster and it sat up a bit upon installation.

(Eaton-Detroit Spring)

However,  they they settled in to correct ride height after driving a couple hundred miles.

Maybe, PO put new ones in....?

Glad you made it run silently.......nothing like a well tuned Buick , idling in the driveway......and all you really notice is the gentle

whine of the DynaFlow......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since the Easter show in Forest Park is coming up...on Easter...I need to get my butt in gear and get this car ready.  I took the carb off to clean it out and put a rebuild kit in it.  Everything looked really good inside, a little dirty but nothing serious.  I did find out why the car was impossible to get started without me manually engaging the choke.  After putting the carb back together, I realized the linkage at the top plate was on backwards.  I hadn't touched it when I took it apart, so it was like that before.  After turning it upside down, it works as intended.  The car starts and runs great sitting in the garage now.  I'm going to try to tackle rebuilding the master/booster tomorrow so I can have a working brake system.

• Like 3

Rebuild fail.  Kind of...I'm not sure really.  I installed and bled everything.  Still has the same crappy pedal.  I can stand on the brakes and lock up the rears....hmmmm.  So, obviously we have an issue with fronts not holding.  I pulled the front right drum and found out what I suspected.  The shoes are contaminated with grease.  I can only assume the other side is the same.  So, new shoes and wheel seals on the way.  Also another master rebuild kit coming.  I'm going to rebuild the one in the parts car to replace this one if it still sucks.  No wonder the previous owner told me the brakes were garbage.  Under 3 weeks until the Easter show...let's see if I can make it happen.

• Like 2

New front brake shoes, repacked bearings, and new seals today...cleaned and scuffed drums.  No change in pedal feel.  So, off came the booster/master from the parts car.  I spent a good portion of the day cleaning and prepping/rebuilding that.  I installed it and bled all four corners for a LONG time to make sure I didn't miss any air bubbles.  Brakes are marginally better, and I can lock up the front left wheel when I really stand on it.  I think I'm going to let that fly for a while and see if the new shoes in front break in better.

In other news, the car is really running well.  Starts right up, sits at medium idle until I kick it down, and off I go. 

I think I can put this car to bed for the time being...I have a black car to paint...and I think the owner is getting antsy to see some progress 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Did you measure the ID of the drums?  I just went through this with a different vehicle.  No matter what I adjusted, the pedal felt soft.  The drums were clean, but had ~250,000 miles on them.  So I figured, "What the hell.'  The difference is night and day.

You might also try pulling a drum and setting a shoe inside to see how much contact they make -- or pulling the drum and looking at the wear pattern on the shoes..

• Like 1

I didn't measure them, but didn't see anything alarming that would make me think twice.  I've verified the mileage on the car is in the 46k range...hoping these are the original drums.

You mention checking the shoe against the drum.  I did that today before I installed the shoes.  They are VERY slightly smaller diameter than the drum...which is why I'm hoping some miles will settle them in enough to start working better.

I have a pair of drums from a 60 sitting on the shelf...I may swap them if I get bored, or run out of other ideas.  At this point, I should probably start replacing hoses and checking wheel cylinders.

• Like 1

When you get a chance, try plugging off the brake light switch with a brass plug and bleeding again. A cheap one I bought from Kanter had issues with the switch that gave me a spongey pedal, like it had trapped something inside of it. Before getting rid of it altogether, I replaced the switch with one from NAPA and the pedal feel got firmer. It was even more firm when I plugged it and went to a push button. 

My most recent exchange was a leaky wheel cylinder, where upon inspection, the cylinder had pitted around the piston and was letting minute amounts of fluid past the piston. The leak was barely noticeable since the rubber boot did a good job of containing it, but after chasing a weak pedal for a couple weeks, I found the culprit. 

Your mufflers sound nice! I just got around to seeing the video. The exhaust guys must get sad when you ask for quiet, instead of the Flowmaster/Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust. How hard some places push, you'd think they were getting commission for the mufflers sold. What did they stick under there, Walkers?

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the extended test drive to the show today went fairly well.  I am going to need to address the temperature creeping up and not wanting to come back down.  I'm pretty sure I'll need to flush the system and replace the thermostat.  I found out the AC WORKS!  Ha!  Clock works, too.  I feel the car wanting to wander a little bit, but I think most of it is natural with the bias ply tires.  It was happy on the highway, though.  I just need to work on the temperature issue before OKC.

Brakes are still not happy.  I bought hoses for it, so that will be the next spot I work on.

• Like 5

My Special did that same heating / not cooling issue way back and changing the thermostat and flushing the rad didn't cure it. I eventually had to bite the bullet and re-core it and increased it to a three core which today keeps her running normally with the 180 degree thermostat with minimal raising in city traffic.

I hope you have success with flushing as it is the easiest effort to try but be prepared...

She sure is a beauty and is worth the efforts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't believe it, John!  I think that's a testament to how much the previous owner cared to keep this car in operational condition.  He did mention to me that it worked when he sold it.  If I can make this cooling issue go away, I may actually drive it to OKC this year🤣

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Smartin said:

I couldn't believe it, John!  I think that's a testament to how much the previous owner cared to keep this car in operational condition.  He did mention to me that it worked when he sold it.  If I can make this cooling issue go away, I may actually drive it to OKC this year🤣

Did you happen to read the tech services bulletin I posted on the temperature issues with the 56?  It may help to have a 160 thermostat, although as Ed often points out, that is the minimum temp.   But more importantly, it may help to realize what the temp gauge visual is really showing, in so far as I believe the '56 and 57 temp gauges may be very similar in calibration. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't had time to yank the radiator and have it cleaned out, so I will tow the car to OKC this year.  I did drive it about an hour one-way a couple weekends ago to Laura Buick GMC, and it crept up to about the 5/8 mark on the temp gauge.  I don't like seeing it above the N mark...soon the trailer it goes.  I may have a day or two to work on some authenticity details that have been bugging me...it will literally be the day before we leave.

Maybe when I get some real time to work on it...although it definitely won’t hurt to have the radiator cleaned out since it really has done nothing but sit for the last 9 years.

In other news, there are a few items in my interior that are not 100% correct after it was redone.  The upper door panels are supposed to be heat embossed, and the ones that are on it are sewn.  It just so happens that the panels in the parts car are the correct color, and they cleaned up super nice this morning.  I will have to change the dash pad extensions out with the ones on the car, but this is a really cheap fix for authenticity.  Also, the headliner and sun visors are a perforated vinyl, and not the correct diamond pattern. The visors in the parts car are surprisingly nearly perfect....sooooo those are going on too.

6D8D22AB-CE71-403C-934C-0519625F07FE.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, bummer about the upper door panels.  Unless I can find a good dye that matches the copper color on the dash extensions for the front panels, I can’t use these.  They aren’t detachable without peeling the covers off.  So maybe I’ll visit the local auto body store to see if he can match me some vinyl paint.

Next small project...cowl seal for the rear part of the hood was completely missing.  I ordered a new one, but it’s not as nice as the original one I pulled off the parts car.  So I cleaned up that one and installed it.  I just need rear hood bumper pads now.  Hopefully cars will have them at the show.

47E38EBD-3FB7-4D36-82A3-BB181192B461.jpeg

• Like 4

I'll be putting the rear door panels on, but the fronts are a no-go for now.  They may have another use.

So, my ONE day off before we leave for the national meet...tomorrow is detail thrash day.  Most of it will consist of under-hood authenticity issues like bolt colors and hose clamps.  I need to get the correct size battery.  Wiper motor needs to be replaced with a vacuum unit, which I cleaned up this evening.  My front marker lights had the wire harnesses snipped at some point in its life and they look horrible.  Swapping those out for the ones in the parts car that are perfect.  LOTS of stuff that can/will snowball into a big mess tomorrow...

IMG_2410.jpg

• Like 2

I was up at sunrise this morning with the hood up.  Wiper motor replaced with correct vacuum unit, all new vacuum lines and washer jar was cleaned up.  The wipers work for about 3 swipes and then quit.  I don't plan on using them, anyway.  Most of my cars wipers never work.  Rain X is a wonderful thing.

All of the fender bolts with square washers were removed and cleaned up, then painted a silvery color that's as close to silver cad plat that I can find.  They were all body color from lazy painters in the past.  Hood hinges were badly oversprayed with body color, too.  I did my best to just hose some flat black on them to hide the fact they're covered in Garnet Red paint.

Front marker lights were replaced with ones from the parts car.  The harness was cut right at the bulkhead at the radiator support, and then sloppily pinch-coupled together with stupid stupid connectors.  I cleaned up all of the wiring the best I could with lacquer thinner and a rag...tons of black paint all over the place.

The hood latch parts on the radiator support and the hood itself were all hosed with black paint.  I pulled those off and bathed them in thinner...then used a brass brush to clean them up without disturbing the original plating.

New plug wires to replace the ugly blue ones.

Battery hold-down bracket was too skinny to hold the new battery...so I "modified" it to fit.  Hopefully no one will notice one side of it is missing 🤣

I made a feeble attempt to put tower clamps on the top radiator hose.  Did fine with the top one, but the one at the t-stat housing snapped when I tightened it up....so I piggy-backed a worm drive clamp on it closer to the end of the hose.

When I got the car, it had a crappy plastic fuel filter on it, and the bracket/glass filter was MIA.  Thanks to Lance for getting me a fitting that connects to the bracket for mounting.  I was able to get all of that fixed up correctly today, too.

I still have a ton of detailing to do...but it's close.  It's on the trailer and ready to go tomorrow.  I still have to pack...but at least all the part I'm bringing to sell are loaded.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

• Like 7

Looking forward to seeing you and the car, Adam! It looks great.

57BuickJim, Larry & Joyce Schramm and I are leaving Wednesday morning and plan to arrive on Thursday afternoon.

It's about 1060 miles for us.

Edited by 95Cardinal
added text (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Instead of commenting on the election thread, I'll drop in here and mention that the 57 got a Silver award last night.  I am eager to get the judging sheet back and make corrections for next year.  One of these days, I'll score the elusive Gold Senior.  Plain ol' gold would be good, too.

• Like 6

On 6/16/2019 at 4:08 PM, Smartin said:

Instead of commenting on the election thread, I'll drop in here and mention that the 57 got a Silver award last night.  I am eager to get the judging sheet back and make corrections for next year.  One of these days, I'll score the elusive Gold Senior.  Plain ol' gold would be good, too.

How do you obtain judging sheet?  I have never gotten one...