RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1908 REO touring original unrestored.

When someone buys the 12 and 13 Buicks which I expect both will sell soon, I can get my 08 REO out and available and an early Model T, I think around a 14 model and an early Dodge touring behind that. I posted photos of the two early Buicks so here is a photo of the REO. 70+ years in storage so it's not a new car.

IMG_5209.JPG

Yes I do, sorry I left that out. 10k is a fair starting figure. The car is complete including the top bows and frame and I recall we do have the title for this car. It might be a little better than it looks but the car is 111 years old and original.

19 hours ago, Shamas said:

It’s an ‘09.

It's an 08.

4 hours ago, poncho144 said:

Is the Engine froze up or has it been  turned over?

Nobody has tried to turn the engine over since the 1930s.

1 hour ago, 42319DB34 said:

Any info on the DB , year , vin or motor #.

how complete , what's missing ....

The brass data plate is still on the back of the car. I have to clear away a pile of parts behind the car so I can have a look at the plate. The car is pretty much complete including the top bows and frame.

19 hours ago, Shamas said:

It’s an ‘09.

What are the differences between the '08 and '09?

54 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

What are the differences between the '08 and '09?

Well I know some of the early REOs had wood front fenders, I recall 07 and older had wood fenders, however, we did have an 07 REO with metal fenders. We had one of the first REOs, it was titled as an 04, I think it was only the 4th or 5th REO built, although REOs first full production year was 1905. Very little difference between 08 and 09. The rear body section on 09 tourings were made out of aluminum, however, a number of late 08s also had aluminum rear sections such as this 08 has.

• Like 1

So, how can you tell which year you have? Are you just going by the title? Just curious.

Must be one interesting building to go through seeing all the great cars you have puled out of there.

• Like 2

The items I listed were listed in the early '09 catalog, along with the I beam front axle and metal on the seat backs instead of wood.

Much like many other rare but rough cars like these, how does one ever figure they are worth so much? As we all know, to restore/rebuild one will cost circa $50,000+ if done even for good driver quality, so an initial purchase price of $0 is often too much! Just my 2 cents worth from experience trying to rebuild rough cars. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Much like many other rare but rough cars like these, how does one ever figure they are worth so much? As we all know, to restore/rebuild one will cost circa $50,000+ if done even for good driver quality, so an initial purchase price of $0 is often too much! Just my 2 cents worth from experience trying to rebuild rough cars. 

Ok, would you go do all that hard work getting the cars out for free? No, you would not. Nobody could.

• Like 3

I would never suggest anyone work for free, or even "at cost" who is in the business of moving/marketing old cars. My comment was aimed at another post where a poster was asking I recall $10k for a family relic provided it went to someone committed to restoring it. My premise is that the asking price for a rough barnfind is often the biggest deterrent to the car being saved. If someone "rescues" a car like that (say buys for $2,000, spends $1500 hauling it home and wants $4000-$5000 to recover costs+ a small return, I have no trouble with that. 

• Like 1

More and more, cars make NO ECONOMIC SENSE, that said, why should they. I buy and drive what I like, to hell with the money/cost/out. While I don’t want to flush money down the drain, a well lived life for a car guy with gasoline in his veins means owning and driving interesting vehicles. Keeping it in perspective and within ones means is reasonable, but I have made and lost seven figures on cars in the aggregate,  in the end, what does it matter. I have had more fun than any reasonable person could expect. And I’m still doing it. I plan to die broke,  shrouds don’t have pockets. Ed

PS- One can always make more money, no one can buy more time.......no matter how much you have. Drive you car.......your time is shorter than you realize.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I do  not think it was ever profitable.Most did there own work,did not count the hours.if you think it's a cash cow,Bail out.It is all about the love of the hobby,history.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I would never suggest anyone work for free, or even "at cost" who is in the business of moving/marketing old cars. My comment was aimed at another post where a poster was asking I recall $10k for a family relic provided it went to someone committed to restoring it. My premise is that the asking price for a rough barnfind is often the biggest deterrent to the car being saved. If someone "rescues" a car like that (say buys for $2,000, spends $1500 hauling it home and wants $4000-$5000 to recover costs+ a small return, I have no trouble with that. 

Ahhh, that was also my post.🙄 A 1908 REO that my family saved in storage for 90 years is just a relic as you said? I guess your chance at coming in to see the family Duesenberg just dropped down the list and I didn't make that up. Sometimes, I think I should just lock up the place and let my kids deal with it in another 40 years and spare everyone the enjoyment of seeing the cars come out. No wonder why my two uncles sent all the early generation of collectors including Bill Harrah himself away because everyone said we just had old junk cars that were worthless. Harrah, Tom Barrett, Alex Miller the famous Stutz man and Barney Pollard all used to beg to get in and buy what we had. The stuff can stay with this kind of talk.

• Like 4

I think of the purchase price as the price of admission. If a brass car is what you want - and you don't have 40,000 or 50,000 to spend  - or don't particularly care for Model Ts or actually LIKE doing the necessary work and take pride in the accomplishment of having resurrected what most people would consider a pile of junk the cars that Mr. Richelieumotor has been posting are a godsend. If I weren't up to my neck in a project already I'd probably be haunting the man.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

More and more, cars make NO ECONOMIC SENSE, that said, why should they. I buy and drive what I like, to hell with the money/cost/out. While I don’t want to flush money down the drain, a well lived life for a car guy with gasoline in his veins means owning and driving interesting vehicles. Keeping it in perspective and within ones means is reasonable, but I have made and lost seven figures on cars in the aggregate,  in the end, what does it matter. I have had more fun than any reasonable person could expect. And I’m still doing it. I plan to die broke,  shrouds don’t have pockets. Ed

PS- One can always make more money, no one can buy more time.......no matter how much you have. Drive you car.......your time is shorter than you realize.

Hi Ed,  I agree with your statement that more and more cars make no economic sense. Your PS however about making more money is a bit more difficult.

For lots of us the making more money is at best going to be a very uphill struggle. I had a reasonably decent job up to my retirement at the end of Sept. But even with that job my yearly income always lagged inflation by anything from break even to - 1-1 1/2 % for at least the last 15 years. You hardly noticed the difference from any one year to the next but over time the difference sure became apparent.  That 15% loss of buying power represented a good portion of my discretionary income and the lions share of my hobby car funds.

I was already working enough overtime that I was able to stop coming to work 6 months before my actual retirement date and simply draw down my overtime bank. Where would have the time to make more money have come from ?

Of course now that I have retired my disposable income is non- existent, but returning to work after 40 + years in the workforce and post secondary training, the last 31 in a reasonably demanding shiftwork , technical position is something I am resisting.  And yes I definitely have gasoline in my veins, just no useable hobby car. I did recently spend $7,000.00 on my Formula Ford however , came out of my overtime bank . I figured if I am going to get a season or two of Formula Ford racing in before I am too old it was something I couldn't delay any longer.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Another consideration to not be forgotten about pricing rough old automobiles.  While they may make no financial sense, one cannot realistically just give the things away! If the rusty relics were given away, they would mostly go to dreamers that would never get around to doing the work and making a nice (or even barely decent) car out of it. If they paid nothing for it? they wouldn't bother to put it in decent dry storage. Those brass era Buicks and Reos would sit outside behind the garage for a few more years until there was even less to be salvaged and restored. Way too many antique automobiles suffer that fate every year already. We do NOT need to encourage such waste by giving the cars away just because they might cost more to restore than they will be worth afterwards.

As for the "PS- One can always make more money, " I am sorry. But this nation needs to get its priorities in order. Henry Ford figured it out more than a hundred years ago. The businessmen need a healthy working middle class if they really want to make a fortune! This country, and the politicians and businessmen that run it have been sending most middle class jobs overseas for about thirty years now.  If this hobby dies in a couple more decades?  It is more likely to be from interested people not having any money to spend on something so frivolous. Not because nobody is interested.

The moderators have my permission to delete that last paragraph if they think best. However, I think it needs to be said, for the future of the hobby's sake.

• Like 4

Wayne, not only does it need to be said,  but you said it perfectly. Why should anyone delete that insight into the fate of hobbies in an environment of "The disappearing middle class blues". (To paraphrase Steve Goodman in "The City of New Orleans"). Yeah, I have been saying for about 20 years or so that we are approaching a time when the middle class will not be able to afford their toys, and no one will be able to afford to buy them off of 'em. 

Now although your thesis as stated in your first paragraph is based upon the general observation that people don't appreciate things they have not worked for, I think the inferences you have projected upon there might find you skating on rather thin ice. Let's use the powerful technique of exaggeration to illustrate. You and I and a great many of us declining middle class guys are unable to advance our hobby interests. I was given a car which i had high hopes to put on the road. After spending about $1000 on it, I realized I was not able to accomplish such things anymore. I sold it for $2000, delivered it to the purchaser who immediately found ways to aid other cars to live on with an infusion of needed parts. Suppose someone gave YOU a project car. For free. Could you advance the cars resurrection ? Probably not. If you were also given a quarter of a million bucks would that help? Don't assume too much regarding the capabilities or lack thereof of the recipients of gift hosses. Bottom line is, that this wonderful stash of ancient iron has been rescued from certain death long ago, in order to enrich the gene pool of the hobby today and into the future. I really hope some miracle occurs in order to let you put your great talents back to work in the hobby. Bit too late for me.   -   Carl 

• Like 1

Cadillac, Thank you for your kind comments. My many passions all intertwine. Family, history and its most tangible interest antique automobiles,  music and art, philosophy, physical laws and the origin of the universe, and politics past present and future. They all connect to all the rest.

There are always exceptions to every general rule (the ultimate philosophical joke is that there are absolutely NO absolutes!). There are of course individuals that would work hard to resurrect a neglected antique automobile, and I may have once been one of them. I have over the years restored nearly a dozen antique automobiles, most of them so bad when I got them that few people would have been foolish enough to have done so. I also had a few nice cars that were nice when I bought them. Over the years, I have sold most of them because family needs demanded it. In the past ten years, I have sold five cars in order to keep my home (I cannot rent anything for what I pay for my mortgage!). I currently do not have a running antique automobile, the last two sold this past May. I have several "project piles", and one halfway decent '20s sedan that was last driven in 1947. None of them are worth much. Much of it could cost me more to try to sell it than I would get for them.

One of the projects I am currently working on, pushing to get it assembled and decent enough to drive and enjoy. Before I can finish it, I must take care of some financial issues provided to me by my "wonderful" family. Maybe in a year, maybe two,  I can be touring again. The sedan? It will have to wait a bit longer. It will require far more time and money than any two  of my other project piles. It is a long sad story, my dad bought the car to be the "great family project" about fifty years ago. Unfortunately, he was good at ideas, not so good at following through. By the time it became mine, it had been apart for about twenty years. I had a few decent cars that I had restored by then, so I couldn't make it a priority. I did work on it off and on some, but it is still a long way from being a car.

Frankly, If someone were to offer to give me an antique car right now? I would probably advise them to find someone better suited . At 66 years, one major heart attack nearly four years ago, and too much family and financial stress? I don't think I will live long enough to do even a third of the projects I have. Two quick project piles to cover my major touring desires, then the '20s sedan and the early gasoline carriage project. If I could get that far? And have a few decent years ahead to enjoy those cars? I may die happy.

Your Cadillacs are beautiful! I always enjoy seeing pictures you post of them! Even if it is the same picture for the umpteenth time. Keep driving them! Keep enjoying them!  I love '20s sedans. And your touring car reminds me of a Cadillac touring a good friend used to have. I loved to follow him on club tours.