The Car That Travelled From Mt Gambier To Adelaide, September - 1931

Saltbush

1 hour ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

That is an entirely different model, from an earlier era. Note it has the 'bent transverse front spring' which was used on the low, price Overland from about 1919 to 1925. It was a model intended to compete with the Ford T.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I still have no idea what it is though. Can't be too hard to work out. Not a big car, and note it has no front brakes.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but I've scoured through major and defunct makes for hours looking for that front without joy.

Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

I looked up the SA registration records up to 1927, but 60525 isn't listed. If you had a family name or if you knew the area or district where the car was, it may help?

http://www.familytreeoz.com/search-ancestry-records.html?view=genList&id=17

Edited by Craig Gillingham (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Around Blyth, South Australia. These are from photos collected by a long time resident from established old time families in the district. These came to him from Rhonda Gill, so her ancestors.

That can include Kybunga, Hart, Brinkworth, Clare .....

Hi Allan

Thanks for latest batch.

This Rhonda’s maiden name was Cocks –from  Snowtown. She married Rod Gill from Bute.

Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

I was just reading this post  -

- and thought the front of the car looked familiar. I hadn't realised Cleveland did a 'small' car but a quick look at The Standard Catalog shows that in their last year - 1926 - they did a Model 31 on a 108 1/2" wheelbase.

Whaddaya reckon?

62EAAA90-AB10-4053-98A4-DF4878A9FFF4_thumb_jpeg_d40ad878dde425ddebf6c43db5c7282e.jpg

• Like 2

More here re Cleveland. The engine in the Model 31 was a small side valve six, built by Chandler/Cleveland - 2 7/8 x 4 1/4, 165 cubes, 45 hp. The factory appears not to have built a roadster but I guess our mystery car might have A body built in Australia by Holdens - later to become part of GM.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=DspZDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq="Cleveland+Model+31"&source=bl&ots=Nhgf-8KDN7&sig=jeUUsvEuyjZMjkZI5_2TdRAidI4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnjLjdxevfAhUUbn0KHaDYB58Q6AEwB3oECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q="Cleveland Model 31"&f=false

Mark, I'm seeing too many differences to be convinced. Rad emblem for one and the front of the fenders. Look at the bottom of the rad shell in both pics.

The bumper on the OP's pic is also rather distinctive, although I admit it could an aftermarket item.

Thumbs down from me on this ID.

1 hour ago, Saltbush said:

A period where only chassis and scuttle forward were allowed to be imported, in order to foster local body builders. Protectionism. Hence Australia has some car body variations not seen in North America or Europe.

Agreed. Also I think that it is a 1934 model. A Morris 10/4.

• Like 1