AACA Annual Meeting

Roger Frazee

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the annual meeting schedule hidden? Need the special handshake?

The link above is for an out of date schedule. I had a link to the new schedule, but it is not on this website that I can find.

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Why is the annual meeting schedule hidden? Need the special handshake?

The link above is for an out of date schedule. I had a link to the new schedule, but it is not on this website that I can find.

I got an email with it on Monday.  https://files.constantcontact.com/8cca7e3a001/b4d4815a-fc3e-4e2b-a182-766f20edec2b.pdf

So, is anybody interested in a Discussion Forum member meeting in Philadelphia? Typically we invite folks to get together for a short in person meeting. Wayne Burgess has often provided a recommendation for a time and location. I even found my DF'er button today. It has been around quite a few years. Anybody else going to be wearing your button in Philadelphia?

Any thoughts on a meeting?

DSC_0691.JPG

I'd love to try and attend - let us know the time and place and I'll try and be there.  Would love to have a DF button - where can I get one?
Terry

• Like 1

David Devine "Novaman" if I recall his forum user name correctly, was the guy who manufactured and sold the buttons. I have not seen much of David in a while. I don't know if he is still set up for producing them or not. 

23 hours ago, MCHinson said:

David Devine "Novaman" if I recall his forum user name correctly, was the guy who manufactured and sold the buttons. I have not seen much of David in a while. I don't know if he is still set up for producing them or not. 

Correct, Matt.  "Novaman" (David Devine) was David's user name.  I do recall that he put a lot of effort and artwork into designing the badges.  This was back in the day when we met in one of the Salon rooms at the Sheraton just after they tore down the St. George's  restaurant for development.

Peter J.

I have discussed it with Wayne and while I never can remember which floor is the one with the Annual Meeting Registration desk, we will plan a Discussion Forum Member (DF'er) Meeting during the Friday lunch break on the same level as the Registration Desk, but at the other end, at the far tables. So, grab a sandwich and come find us at the far tables. Hope to see you all there.  

• Like 2

Just a word of warning  for AACA members planning on using the Gateway Parking Garage when attending the annual meeting.

This garage has a HEIGHT Restriction of 6 Feet 10 inches tall. If the vehicle you are planning to drive to the meeting exceeds this height you will not be able to park in this structure. I have parked in this structure for the past several years on Saturday with my car. I have seen some half ton pickups parked in this garage and they did fit although a few did come close to the max height.  Click on links below.

In prior years I have parked my half ton pickup in the underground lot at the Sheraton. It was a tight squeeze in places  with the low hanging pipes and HVAC ducts but it was doable. I suspect that the gateway parking garage may also be close in places but also doable for my truck. Depending on the weather this year I may find out how my truck fits at the Gateway Garage.

Parking Garage Height Restriction

More detailed information about the parking garage

FYI, this garage has two entrances. I usually use the entrance on Spring street. 

That address is 1536 Spring Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102 which is what I use for the Google Navigation I use in my smartphone to get to this garage.

The Gateway Garage is a SHORT walk (ie literally across the street) to the Hotel where the annual meeting is held.

Also be advised that this garage does accept credit cards to pay the parking fee at machines located on ground level. You can also pay with cash at cashier located on ground level. In order to exit the lot you will need a card to open the gate at the exit. Be advised there IS NO BOOTH at the exit with a person in it  where you can pay the parking fee. I always pay the parking fee when I arrive and put the card in my wallet so I don't lose it. Since the parking fee for Saturday is a flat fee of $7 it does not really matter that I pay for parking when I get there.

I hope some here might find this information useful.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed you Joe. Most of the DFers missed the meeting. We need to do a better job of coming up with a specific meeting location and announcing it more in advance to try to get more people to the meeting. There is always next year...

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Sorry I missed you Joe. Most of the DFers missed the meeting. We need to do a better job of coming up with a specific meeting location and announcing it more in advance to try to get more people to the meeting. There is always next year...

Matt and I had a great DFer meeting. I patted him on the back for a job well done, and he patted me, and said something about me not being active enough on the forums lately. He's a tough guy!  ðŸ¤ª 

• Haha 1

Sorry I missed the DF meeting, but had the chance to sit and visit a couple of times with Matt, and should have spent more time visiting with you Wayne, but as always, it's a pretty hectic weekend. I managed to be on time for my own three seminars and was pleased with the turnout.  It was a great weekend, as always, and a big thanks to everyone involved in making it great.  Special thanks to Stacy Zimmerman for coordinating all the seminars! 

Can't wait for next time, and super anxious to the old car season to begin.

REALLY Proud of our own Tidewater Region for getting Newsletter, Website and the Kirkham membership awards - and of course for our own Jim Elliott as the incoming Executive VP.   It was a real honor to help pass out trophies again this year to so many happy members including some from our own Region for their cars and their service to the club.

Terry

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

As Terry Bond said, the Tidewater Region was well-represented at this year’s Annual Meeting (now to be called the Annual Convention beginning next year)--we had over 20 members present.  In addition to the awards Terry mentioned, Dot Parrish received the Samuel E. Baily Award for her outstanding contributions to the AACA Judging System—a well-deserved recognition of the many years Dot has served in Judging Administration.  Terry Bond, Bob Stein, and I also presented some well-attended seminars and were able to attend other great ones.  I particularly enjoyed the seminars and displays highlighting some notable women in automotive history and hope the club includes more in coming years.  Thanks to June Crane for her initiative to include this information in this year's meeting.

The seminars, displays, and activities were great (including the Philadelphia Auto Show which was being held at the same time down the street at the Philadelphia Convention Center), but the best part was the time spent with AACA friends (and making new ones) from across the country whom we only get to see at AACA activities.  One of the best things I heard over the weekend, and it rings true, was “You join the club for the cars, but you stay for the people.”

Kudos to Mike Jones, his entire team, and the AACA Headquarters staff for planning, organizing, and holding another great Annual Meeting!  Marion & I are already looking forward to attending next year’s Annual Convention. 

For those who couldn't attend, here are some photos from the Annual Meeting.

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added additional comments that dropped off for some reason when I saved my original post (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...