1960 Torque Tube R&R

avgwarhawk

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

Where did you source a replacement? Just wondering. Does it have a modern counterpart? 

CARS for the joint. There are two types. They carry both.  It is a modern joint. Has a grease fitting. No good once in the tube. I lubed it well once the joint was assembled.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Torque tubes are great said no one ever. Took some doing and time to get the assembly hooked to the torque ball.  Lining up the blank splines is a real treat. Used guide pins. Manual recommends 3 inch. Use 5 inch guides. Be happy.  Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the thing installed.  Did it with no help.  So there is that.  Finish it up tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Here is a shot of those blind/blank splines of which you speak.

I had to dig this one out of my spares when I took a transmission to Jim Hughes for a total rebuild  for my '58 Special.

IMG_2714.thumb.JPG.3b683aac3fbd04d69a03aafb71433905.JPG

IMG_2717.thumb.JPG.f5b576df7ac738cb1c07d9e3320ea6b4.JPG

I bought a transmission from Lance very reasonably that came from a '57 Buick to have rebuilt. They are the same transmissions except for the universal joint. 

I left the installation for a shop here and they said the same thing about the units lining up, and they do them all the time.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

I've never figured out an easy way to line up those blind/blank splines.    I remember fighting my 58 Limited's connection there, and it was nothing more than an engine and trans into an open chassis.  Then I finally found out it has a blank spline.  DOH!

What I did was spin the axle just a bit to turn the shaft. Then pushed. Kept this up until she found home. The key is alignment of the two ends.  It's critical. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

How did you know which one to get ??

Bill, there are two set ups for clips that keep the caps in place.  I had the C clip that sit inboard of the cap.  The other has the clips that sit outboard of cap. 

Mine was like this:

s-l225.jpg

The other that may be in your Buick is this:

10086945_mdp_270_pri_larg.jpg 

23 minutes ago, old-tank said:

There are U-joints that can be installed either way.  RockAuto shows some with part numbers that probably can be sourced locally.  You were lucky to get the correct part the first time from those obnoxious New Jersey boys.

I did check Rock Auto. I like Rock Auto.    They do offer just the outside clip style only. But again, went with what came out.   The guys in Jersey, I have not had any issue with.  Will call me if there is question or problem.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Torque tube assembly is buttoned up. Bled the brakes with my daughters assistants.  Getting some snow and could not drive.  I decided to run it up again on the jackstands. Happily quiet driveshaft.  No leaks of trans fluid. Will keep an eye on trans fluid level in case it's finding its way past the new torque tube seal into the torque tube itself. 

• Like 4