Sign in to follow this  
Dave Fields

How do you drive a 1934 Bentley?

Just a thought, but is the seat sitting too low via missing riser blocks or is the seat sitting too high via someone monkeying with it ? Or, you have seat too far back - ie you may need to be more crammed up in car for everything to be in right place and ....  I get the impression too the original driver was short and lean.

Sidenote:  It always baffles people that both dad and I are over 6 feet tall and have factory pedal extenders on the 1963 Austin Healey 3000 - when we both sat in it the first time it was dreamy - the pedal extenders cause you to have a "kink" in your leg verses having them straight out and that allows you to drive car much more comfortably and for a longer time (ancient Chinese secret or something like that). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

John: advise is appreciated from folks that know these cars. I understand what you are saying about the shoes. I have used slippers driving Movie Bentleys to better effect. This gear shift does not appear altered and is almost directly aligned with the accelerator. I will investigate moving the seat position as suggested. My leg seems more comfortable between the gear shift and brake than to the left of the stick. Thanks again.

Dave, I wear racing shoes - they fit the space well.  Also, it tends to be a little toasty hot down there on the 25/30 cars (which more or less is a comparable platform to your Bentley).  A slipper may work, though may also not be firm enough across the whole sole.   Maybe a Nike Nylon Cortez could work via being at least something to try first.  I would be hesitant to drive with my leg between the shifter and the emergency brake unless you feel you can easily maneuver.    As a sidenote, I have never been in a RR or Bentley (in the smaller series cars at least) that I thought was really comfortable (the larger cars yes as to comfortable, though then also more of a challenge to drive).

Sidenote:  The look on my face was probably "classic" when someone told me I was doing it wrong and needed to learn to heal-toe it. 

http://www.realcar.co.uk/  = may want to ask here as they probably have more smaller HP RR and Bentleys go through their doors than anyone else. 

The 34 Bentley and the 34 Rolls Royce we have are quite different which surprised me as I thought they were the same. I need to do more investigation. Thanks.

Mercer09: Well you know you see someone driving vehicles like this and you think, what a lucky guy. Maybe the pedals and shifting arrangement are the male equivalent of 4" heels. You think what a lucky beautiful gal, but she is in pain. I can't imagine driving one of these things on a tour.

It depends on who sees them driving. The driver of a 20/25 was negotiating a corner at an inner city stoplight when a young working girl noticed the motor car moving slowly along the curb. The driver. concentrating on the shifter raised his head just as she jumped onto the running board thinking it was a solicitation. Both were quite surprised, the driver to find a passenger on his running board and the passenger to find the driver on the wrong side fiddling with the stick.

6 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I agree. That configuration is ridiculous.

Made even more so because even earlier Brit cars -  that were smaller and more cramped - had pedal lever arrangements  that made much more sense and were much more comfortable to use.  For a car so touted for quality engineering, what's their excuse for such a layout ????? 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 2:06 PM, PFitz said:

Made even more so because even earlier Brit cars -  that were smaller and more cramped - had pedal lever arrangements  that made much more sense and were much more comfortable to use.  For a car so touted for quality engineering, what's their excuse for such a layout ????? 

Paul 

Paul, my impression with the 25/30's were that the seats slide back not for tall people to drive via having more space between them and the steering wheel, but for tall people to get in and out easier (that being said though, I never found a comfortable position and that is why other people now own them).

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Paul, my impression with the 25/30's were that the seats slide back not for tall people to drive via having more space between them and the steering wheel, but for tall people to get in and out easier (that being said though, I never found a comfortable position and that is why other people now own them).

The right side shift is a tradition thing from when all cars had outside shift and brake levers.

Central shift was regarded as 'transatlantic' - i.e. American - and that wouldn't do - no matter how practical it was. The first 20 hp Rolls cars had central shift and it was quickly moved to the right to keep the customers happy.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:13 PM, Dave Fields said:

Come on Ed. You are in second place in voting for supporting forum members. Answers like this aren't going to get you in first place. How can I drive it like I stole it with a cramped foot and wearily placed gear shift? This seemingly magnificent Bentley sure makes me like the American cars even more. Second place is first looser.

I never knew there was such a thing here.........LOL...........just hunted around to find the list. Thanks for the heads up! Ed

• Like 1

Name the last British automaker to put the shift lever to the right of the driver in a RHD car.

In the (very) few LHD cars they made where was the shift lever?

On 1/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, edinmass said:

I wonder what Ed will do to gain first place. LOL 

I never knew there was such a thing here.........LOL...........just hunted around to find the list. Thanks for the heads up! Ed

So what are you going to do to get to first?

Edited by Dave Fields (see edit history)