Sign in to follow this  
Dave Fields

How do you drive a 1934 Bentley?

We got the 34 Bentley running yesterday. it is a 2 door Victoria convertible. Where do I put my right leg? If I sit kind of side saddle and put my right foot to the left of the gear shift, it is very very uncomfortable, but if I squeeze my double E 10 1/2 right floor between the gearshift it is still uncomfortable, and the gearshift is very awkward to use. 

Q: How do you drive a 1934 Bentley?

A: Fast. 

Apologies for the sarcastic reply, but W.O. made me do it.

• Like 2

Oh, come on Dave. You've been here for a good long time. You know how much we want to see pictures ! Here : I'll Go first. SADLY not mine, though.   -   CC 

55D47707-4C33-4255-A194-CE18355C4557.jpeg

4EF92BE1-E937-4D58-A5D6-66C203182A38.jpeg

BD20A305-4E28-4C81-A83A-A14F3C7171C9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

NO, the car is right hand drive. So you have to get past the emergency brake  and gearshift lever. but they are still in they way when in a driving position. This is not like the post war Bentleys where the gear shift is better positioned and the brake handle is under the dash.

C Carl: remeber the cars are on one side of town and I live on the other. I will try to get some pictures Saturday.

1 hour ago, Dave Fields said:

NO, the car is right hand drive. So you have to get past the emergency brake  and gearshift lever. but they are still in they way when in a driving position. This is not like the post war Bentleys where the gear shift is better positioned and the brake handle is under the dash.

Which side are you getting in from ? ;)

My 33 Austin is RH drive. The shift and brake handle are in the middle - very much like most American cars of that time........ just a bit snugger fit. Steering, pedals, brake handle and 4 spd shift pattern all work the same as American, just on the other side of the car.   Very easy to drive,..... once you get used to sitting like a lady with your knees together. :D

Are your brake and shift between the driver and the driver's door ?

Paul  

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

I confused you. The shift lever and brake are not in the middle of the car, like some English cars. Bentley/RR had them to the right of the right hand drive driver. It seems like the shift lever is meant to be between the driver's legs, which also prevents the driver using the right foot on the brake. My leg is uncomfortable sitting in the car for a few minutes, giving the Bentley enough gas to show the battery charging. I can get in from either side. However the leather upholstery is original and might be easily torn. In some early cars one almost enters the cockpit like a bi wing plane kind of standing and lowering oneself into the driver's position.

We have a shop motto on how to drive any pre-war car........”Drive it like you stole it!”

• Thanks 1

Come on Ed. You are in second place in voting for supporting forum members. Answers like this aren't going to get you in first place. How can I drive it like I stole it with a cramped foot and wearily placed gear shift? This seemingly magnificent Bentley sure makes me like the American cars even more. Second place is first looser.

Drive it carefully!  Two reasons:

1 it’s a nice car

2 a mid shift into 2nd or 4th gear may really hurt. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Maybe you need a driver that is 5'4' with a  shoe size of 6 1/2 .

If you can ride on the left I could do the driving for you (and also store it at my place)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Image result for 1934 bentley right hand drive pedals

Does it look like this? if so it does seem awkward.

Yes more refined but yes.

Until one has thrashed a 6 1/2 Liter WO Bentley around the track,  and put it into a four wheel slide ,  you haven’t lived a life on the edge.   As Mr. Bugatti used to say,  Mr. Bentley builds the worlds fastest lorries! 👍

Here is a W O Speed Six I am rather fond of, having had some chance to stick my little finger in it back in my college days............It’s time for another restoration again......too much track time!

342B486E-C8FC-4A52-BD40-6D4B840A9BD4.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible that a former owner with short arms has been bending the levers to suit, and positioning them badly for a driver with a larger frame?

On 1/10/2019 at 9:17 PM, edinmass said:

Until one has thrashed a 6 1/2 Liter WO Bentley around the track,  and put it into a four wheel slide ,  you haven’t lived a life on the edge.   As Mr. Bugatti used to say,  Mr. Bentley builds the worlds fastest lorries! 👍

Here is a W O Speed Six I am rather fond of, having had some chance to stick my little finger in it back in my college days............It’s time for another restoration again......too much track time!

342B486E-C8FC-4A52-BD40-6D4B840A9BD4.png

Is there such thing as "too much track time"? I think not.

• Like 1

I never found the 25/30 RR's to be very comfortable to drive and there was a big cut out on the right hand side of the seat  - 1937 RR w/Lancefield download.jpg.c7e8ac04f898d0e671c63a078de10a51.jpgcoachwork

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:27 PM, mike6024 said:

Image result for 1934 bentley right hand drive pedals

Does it look like this? if so it does seem awkward.

Yes more refined but yes.

20190112_124844.jpg

That was without me. Here is my leg in driving position. Please the B's on the pedals do not mean brake but rather Bentley.

20190112_124948.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

That was without me. Here is my leg in driving position. Please the B's on the pedals do not mean brake but rather Bentley.

20190112_124948.jpg

John you are correct. If I thought the Bentley was impossible, the RR is worse. The gear shift lever in 4th is hard into the hollow of my left knee. Unfortunately the knee hides the problem.

20190112_125505.jpg

1 minute ago, Dave Fields said:

20190112_124948.jpg

Hate to say it, but totally wrong "too bulky" of shoes for driving one.  And, your right leg should not be where it is (you more or less use the gear shift as a "rest = right side of right leg rests onto left side of shifter .  Also, hate to say it, but some of the cars just did not come out right via coachbuilding - I have been in quite a few that have near horrid seating position, most you cannot see out of except windshield and even then matched to plenty of mirrors that align with nothing, incredibly hard to get in driver's side, too plump of seats that make you feel like you are sitting on a ball, and ...