1941chevymike

Need help identifying this car only picture I have

Could be Buick ca. 1928 but the dash doesn't look right.  Looks like a landau arm hanging down which would indicate a cabriolet or sport coupe.

• Like 1

Hubcap design is 1928/9, 10 spoke wheel with 5 bolt hub must be a clue. Don't think it is GM or Mopar. Maybe Studebaker or Hupp.

Folding landau would be cabriolet. Some grahams had square separate instruments. Dash may have additions added.

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Hard to make out, but it looks to me there are 12 spokes and 6 hub bolts.

I see 10 wood spokes and 4 lug nuts/rim bolts. I can't tell if it has 5 or 6 hub bolts.

The real key is the lower landau bar bolt that goes directly through the raised belt molding. It must be a lower end car with no golf bag door and wood spokes.

12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I see 10 wood spokes and 4 lug nuts/rim bolts. I can't tell if it has 5 or 6 hub bolts.

From my perspective I see blind space where there could be 2 more spokes that are out of view.  Any 3 spokes visible appear to take up less than 1/4th of the circumference, 4 x 3 would come up to 12..  Likewise, 3 hub bolts look like they take up less than 1/2 of the hub's circumference, so there may be 3 more.

36 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I still see 10 distinctive spokes plainly.

10 spoke wheel.png

I agree, ten spokes. The two spokes that are partially hidden by the hub can be clearly seen where they meet the rim. 

Paul

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I still see 10 distinctive spokes plainly.

10 spoke wheel.png

Kaiser,  Yes, I agree now, your enhanced picture tells the story, thanks.   I do think it is a 6 bolt hub, with 2 bolts out of view.  There is a long arc below between the first and fourth bolts visible with, I think, room for the 2 more. 

Those spokes look to be identical to the curving taper oval shape used by Motor Wheels in the late 20's and early 30's if that helps figure out the make. They had to be made on a special machine called a Madison lathe.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

I checked some sources and thought it may be a Willys or Whippet but the wheels did not match. The 1929 and 1930 Essex line up has similar 10 spoke wheels with a 4 bolt rim and does list a convertible. The Nash does look to be it though because of the 5 bolt hubs. Good work West.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

The six only hub bolts on the rear axle suggest a more expensive car with full floating rear axles - like the Buick Master. If it not GM then maybe one of the bigger Nashes?

Yes, the last photo shows the upper series Nash. The hubs have 10 bolts on this car as well as 5 rim bolts. 

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Really looks like '29 Nash to me.

SHORPY-330-01.jpg

I am fairly sure this one is a Special Six. It doesn't look big enough to be an Advanced Six.

It is hard to find a good pic of an Advanced Six on wood wheels.

Think you guys are right that it is a Nash, but perhaps 1930. These pics are of a 1930 Nash 450 six article I found. The dash layout would appear correct but it has obviously been modified at some time. The wheels are 10 spoke with 5 hub bolts. The rim clamps design appears to be like the "Motorwheel" ones on my 26 chrysler, but could also be Firestone or Rubsam in design.

Not sure about the 3 spoke steering wheel on a 30 Nash, as I've failed to find a picture showing one.

Viv.

1930_nash_5.jpg

1930_nash_4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viv w nailed it. Here is the 1930 Nash cabriolet with the lower landau bolt protruding from the belt molding. Everything else is right, too. Thanks. That one was bugging me.