Just retired - need some advice

John_Mc

So after 42 years in the flooring business, I’ve reached God’s waiting room........retirement!    Actually I’m really excited about my new life, and I’m looking for advice.  I’m 66, in great health, live near Chicago and have a burning passion for antique cars.  I guess I’d better if I’m here.

Anyway, I’d like to do something with cars.  I’ve thought about appraisals, car hauling, detailing or something I’ve not thought of as of yet.  I’m free as a bird to travel, debt free, very personable and ambitious.  Im not against partnering up with someone either.  I’m not looking for a full time job, or to make a million dollars just want to enjoy life, meet interesting people and cars.  Any ideas on where I should look?   847-997-9944 and thanks for any and all replies.

• Like 3

Why not purchase an antique car? Depending what your interests are, you can purchase something like an entry level Model A Ford, that's easy to maintain and repair to a 60's era vehicle. 

Join a local antique auto club!  You can discuss your ideas with them and choose what you might want to do.  Owning an old car would be a good lesson on what the hobby is all about.  There are many opportunities to be involved with the hobby once you understand what’s involved in ownership.

All the best to you in retirement!

• Like 1

I’ve thought about appraisals, car hauling, detailing or something I’ve not thought of as of yet.

If you are looking for meaning or purpose in life, something to do in life you have to search and find meaning.

I was in a similar situation, I talked with retired guys I worked with, they were involved with kids and grand kids, pursuing hobbies full time, volunteer  for worthy causes, part time work, full time work.  You have to figure it out.

I guy in my town works 40 hours for the Ford dealer transferring titles, he is 80, his wife is gone, it's what he wants to do.

Fishing.........GO FISHING ! Buy a rod and a reel and a tackle box. I have done antique cars for over fifty years. Many wonderful people doing antique cars. I just wish I had gotten to know fish far better than I do now.  Or antique clocks. Many many challenges doing old clocks.

John, congratulations on your new opportunities!

Now you can remain active and do what you really

want to do.  Here are a few ideas, since you already

have antique cars and probably belong to a club or two.

---Become the editor of a club's newsletter or magazine.

If you do it well, you can meet people in your area and

across the country as you prepare articles.

---Volunteer at a car museum, if there is one around you.

Or maybe there's some other historical venue near you

that would love to have an enthusiastic volunteer.

---More ambitious and creative:  Since you like to travel,

take a month off once or twice a year and travel to some

far-off location--England, California, etc.  Rent a furnished

condominium, or stay at some grand old residential hotel.

Pre-arrange to volunteer at some car event while you're there:

the London-to-Brighton Run, the Nethercutt Museum, etc.

Not only will you be helping others, but you'll automatically

become a part of the area you visit, and get to know more

people.  It will really broaden your horizons.

Life is full and rewarding.  Keep it that way--and continue to grow!

• Like 1

I bought a 1939 Cadillac 60 Special when I retired. It was a return to working on cars after a 40-year hiatus. It was a most gratifying experience and filled the gobs of spare time I had. Not to mention, it was a good excuse to outfit the garage with all kinds of tools and equipment. I was also a docent at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum. The two activities were a great on ramp to retirement living. Since then I have enjoyed having 6 other vintage cars. I was a member of their marque clubs during my ownership of them. They provided great support. I am currently not a member of any marque club, but still visit this site and others to enjoy the chats and share experiences and knowledge. A local car club or region of a marque car can provide much in meeting and enjoying others in a shared social setting.  Enjoy your retirement doing what you like. JWL

John,

I have friends that seem to torture themselves with retirement jobs.

One guy bought a strip mall, another a charter boat. TIED DOWN in retirement?

Personally I feel that I have paid my dues and wont burden myself with anything that requires a schedule.

Toss the calendar, EVERY DAY IS A SATURDAY !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I should have written that I already have 4 antiques and am heavily involved in the hobby with local and national positions in the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club, so I have things to do.  My interest is seeing what else I should look at with the extra time I now have.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I'm with Jack. And think twice before you even THINK about partnering up with someone at this point. Also, you really should make plans anticipating where you will be several years from now. You'll be there sooner than you think ! 

In my mid 70s, this morning's angina has passed,   -   Carl 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 23hack said:

Fishing.........GO FISHING ! Buy a rod and a reel and a tackle box. I have done antique cars for over fifty years. Many wonderful people doing antique cars. I just wish I had gotten to know fish far better than I do now.  Or antique clocks. Many many challenges doing old clocks.

23Hack,

I like your fishing comment so much that I am offering a personal invitation to you ONLY. I plan a fishing trip every year to northern Minnesota in late September. At that time of year, if the weather cooperates, you can see why they call it God's country. You are welcome to join us on this trip. Approximately 12 to 20 guys come from around the country for a long weekend. PM me for details, or we may end up hijacking this thread.

George

CONGRATULATIONS!

A wise mentor gave me this advice long before I retired:

Take a sheet of paper, lengthwise, and make 3 columns: Gotta-Dos, Self-Inflicted Wounds, and For Me.

The Gotta-Dos are the dog poop of life: vehicle and home maintenance, doing your taxes, updating your will and trust, etc.  You must complete ALL the items on the Gotta-Do list.

Self-Inflicted Wounds are commitments to organizations (volunteer), side businesses, churches, etc.  Once you've signed up, usually for a discrete period of time such as one year, that has become a secondary Gotta-Do, and for your reputation and especially for your own self-satisfaction, you need to perform these tasks well.  The benefit of Self-Inflicted Wounds to your newly-retired self is that they provide a (usually) comforting continuation of work commitments over the last 40 years or so, a regularity that eases transition to retirement.  My own experience is that often (not always) the most productive people in car clubs and other volunteer organizations are the newly-retired, who still have some "fire in their bellies."

The 3rd category is For Me -- and the sky is the limit.  What have you always wished you had time to do?

Every six months or so, re-evaluate the balance of Self-Inflicted Wounds (remember, those are commitments for finite periods) and For Me, and adjust as you feel you should.

Sometimes ads show retirement as sitting back and

doing little all day but watching the sun set on the beach.

Those might sound good, or make a good 2-week vacation,

but those who keep involved are more likely to lead long,

productive lives.

I can think of several examples;  but one man I know is 99.

He and his wife live in the same large house they've had

for many years.  He still drives well, and gave me a tour

of his property in his antique car.  He gave me a 

house tour and was up and down the stairs as fast as I.

He maintains an office and a secretary and spends his

mornings at the office.  He took a vacation last year to 

see the eclipse.  He thinks, sounds, and moves as a person

at least 25 years younger than he is.

John, you're just a little kid compared to him.  Stay active,

productive, and enthusiastic!

3 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

When I am bored and don't know what to do, I get in my car and drive to the end of the street. At that point I must go right or left.

I make a quick decision and then I keep going. I always find something interesting to do.

"When you come to a Fork in the Road - TAKE IT !"

(Was that a quote from Yogi Berra? - a Yogi-ism?)

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A slight cautionary note here. My father of 84 recently passed away following a short illness. He led a happy, very active life right up to a month from the end. And did a considerable amount of estate planning that was mainly concerned with dividing his assets between his wife {2nd} and myself and my two sisters. The bulk of his assets were destined to be passed down to the three of us children, his wife has fairly substantial assets of her own so was allocated a relatively small share.

Big surprise upon his death, the assets were primarily held in joint term deposits. Under Canadian law all jointly held assets pass directly to the other person. This is automatic and they don't form any part of the estate at all, the transfer takes place outside of the estate. Not really even a transfer, the deceased persons name is simply removed from the account. So it really did not matter what my Father specified in his will other than specific bequests of specific items of his personal effects. I am not sure if this is also part of U.S. law or not, however get assurance from a wills and estates professional that what you want to happen upon your death really does happen.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)