Right color for Buick super 1949 model

Selim

Need to know original color of Buick super 1949 model convertible 

understand it was originally green, now it’s red burgandy as in photo attached 

please advise on nice color combinations since I m currently restoring it 

best 

5997EF93-A437-4132-AEBE-D9EC7CACB615.jpeg

It is apparent that you are from out side of the US.  There are several color combinations but simply telling you without you being able to see the exact color may not suit your needs.  Color charts and information are not that difficult to locate or you can reach the AACA Library & Research Center and they can make you copies from the color and fabric selector for 1949 for a nominal fee.  Contact critter@aacalibrary.org   There is also a website that lists all colors:  www.autocolorlibrary.com/antique.html

T

Under the hood on the firewall is a body plate. This plate has numbers to identify the color , interior trim and a lot of information about your car. It will say General Motors or Buick and a bunch of numbers. Take a good picture of it so the numbers are all visible. Someone on here will be able to decode it and tell you how your car was originally built. Color, interior trim etc.

Selim, it's your car, do what makes you happy. I prefer to keep these cars as they wer built but will change some things to suite me. Misterc9 alerted you to the aliminum data plate that is attached to the top of the firewall/cowel under the hood. The color number on the data plate tells you what color the car was painted at the factory. If your car was green, you will see one of these color codes: 04 (Verde Green), 10 (Allendale Green), 11 (Gala Green Poly) or 13 (Cirrus Green). My 49 Super Sedanette was 05 - Elan Blue from the factory, but I prefer 01 - Carlsbad Black. I had my dash and interior metal trim parts repainted a non-Buick single color, BMW Space Grey Metallic which looks great with the factory interior colors and black exterior. From the factory, these parts were painted two tone.

I think the 49 convertible looks great in red. If you like it, keep it that color. Your door trim color of beige is not original, but works with red.

Do what pleases you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I doubt Buick sold a convertible with green body and red interior, wouldn't that clash terribly?

If you don't care for the original color pick one from the colors Buick offered that year. Unless your car has some special historical significance no one will object to this. Just don't pick some modern color, they never look right on an old car.