65 Riviera Value

coast

22 minutes ago, coast said:

Thinking of selling my 65 Riv. Car has been in my family since 1967. Rebuilt motor, Trans. No rust.  Needs someone to finish off the interior. Any thoughts on Value?IMG_1395.thumb.jpg.3f0701ae546d8deb6243f270a07ab2c4.jpg

Hi Coast,

The more pics and info you post the higher quality feedback you wil receive. Pretty hard to provide an accurate value based on a 50 foot pic.

Tom

Nice catch Pat! I either need a new computer monitor or an eye exam because I can't see that GS emblem!

Regarding value of the car, we get one 50 foot away picture and we aren't told it is a GS model and we are supposed to come up with

a value. You were joking........right? If you were serious, post about 40 more pics of the car with closeups of the engine, interior, trunk, exterior

close ups, undercarriage shots etc. and tell us if the numbers match and we should be able to get close to a correct number. Also need info like mileage of the car, what has been done to it over the years and what is still original.

Make it simple ….. give a complete description of cars condition, confirm that the engine is a numbers matching LX code motor and that there is or isn't rust, how it runs , include pictures,  lastly WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR THE CAR.

Is this car in Long Beach?? give information that all goes to someone showing an interest in your car.  Good LUck Paul 559 355-3551 

Since it is a California car I would assume never any rust......Looks like a number 3 condition car to me.......Really nice number 1

and high number 2 GS 65 Rivieras have gone for over 100K at Barrett Jackson the last couple of years. If I were you I wouldn't take less than 50K

for it the way it is right now. The GS 65's are starting to heat up at the auctions........I would advise you to keep the car and gradually fix the things

that need to be fixed and you should be a very happy camper when you sell the car in a few years.  

Car runs great. Never heard of the issue you mention Arnulfo? I spoke with Russ Martin during the rebuild and followed his advice, this never came up that I recall? It has been a while though. 

bad things can happen when a guy who builds small block Chevies

rebuilds a nailhead. If the engine has almost no miles on it yet, that would be a red flag for an informed buyer. We've seen a lot of blogs on this

site where a nailhead is rebuilt and it tears itself to pieces after a thousand miles or so. Personally, I won't buy an old car with a rebuilt engine  unless the build has 12,000 miles on it and it still has no problems. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

A solid and finished numbers matching Gran Sport 65 Riviera can be worth $60K+ depending on condition and options. The challenge of course is finding the buyer that wants your particular Riviera. 

Whats up with the interior? What needs finishing?

On 1/10/2019 at 5:53 AM, coast said:

yes it is a small emblem GS

Hi Coast,

Looks like your GS is rather similar to mine.  Both our cars are are dark green with custom vinyl green interior.  Similar options too, except yours is a small emblem car, and mine doesn't have A/C.

Your car is well-optioned and would likely generate good interest if offered for sale.  I can't really give you a definitive answer about what it's worth, as that depends on knowing more about its condition.  The good news is the engine and presumably trans are rebuilt and running strong.  Despite the fuzzy photos, your car looks to be in good shape, certainly better than just a 'driver'.  Questions I'd ask, which would affect value are:

1. Does the A/C work?  Has it been converted to 134A?
  2. What is the verified mileage?  Mileage isn't that big a factor - I'd rather buy a well-maintained and regularly used higher mileage example than one with low miles and poor maintenance. But a car that's rolled the odometer over several times will show it and be worth less.
  3. Is the car rust-free?  We assume most southern California cars would be rust free, but I've seen many cars from coastal Cali regions with extensive rust due to salty air. Does the back window leak into the trunk?  Most of them eventually rot out at the base of the rear window, so unless your car saw little rain over its 54 years then it probably needs some help there.
  4. What's the condition of the body work and paint?  Has the car been repainted?  Is it a 20 footer, or nice and shiny with no dents.  Ditto for the chrome and stainless trim. What shape is that in?
  5. Do all accessories work as they should?  
  6. What work is needed for the car to be fully functional?

Back to value.  Yes, we've seen Gran Sports fetching surprising prices at auctions recently.  But relying on these to set your price is misleading.  Real world sales bring lower amounts, for sure.  Again, your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.  Assuming your GS is in low #2 or high #3 condition then it ought to bring at least $30k, again depending on how nice it is.  A low #3 or lesser example will bring less, as the purchaser would likely be facing $$ expenses to restore things that don't work, including body work, repainting, rechroming, etc. All these aren't cheap these days.  

You can get an idea of values by searching completed eBay auctions, and ads in Craigslist.  I suggest you use "SearchTempest" which allows you to search all CL listings in the entire country.  Note that you'll be looking at ASKING prices, not what the cars actually sold for (except eBay completed auctions, but remember to deduct the fees they charge, etc.).

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK...removed some posts, edited others. Please be respectful of each others posts and comments. If there are verifiable concerns regarding the subject of anyone's post please discuss with that individual off post through private message and or bring it to the attention of a moderator.

Thanks

• Like 5