New Windshield for '65

kdml

A clear windshield with slightly different shading or incorrect logo is still a huge improvement over the nighttime starbursts of a pitted original.  For $120, that's a good deal regardless.

FYI, Pilkington sez they can etch different logos on the windshield if that kind of thing is important to you.  Perhaps one could contact them directly to see if they will send you images of the various options.

2 hours ago, kdml said:

The second pictures shows that the replacement windshield has a different colored band at the top as compared to what I removed (blue vs. brown).  Not sure what was original.  I tried to get a picture of the LOF logo, but it is in the smashed section of the new windshield. 

Hi Doug,

Thanks for updating us on your windshield adventure.  

That shade band is supposed to be blue; it slowly turns brownish with time and exposure to ultraviolet light.  

You should be able to tell if your windshield is the original by examining the logo.  OEM windshields have the LOF logo on the lower passenger side as per Tom's photos.  When I bought my Riv in 1983 it had a replacement windshield with a SOLEX logo.  This logo is at the bottom edge of the glass, centered between and covered by the windshield wipers.  You might want to see if a logo appears in this location on your old windshield.

Here are pictures of the logo on my windshields.  The first pic is the logo from the windshield I removed, the second pic from the replacement.  Here is something I found interesting...the picture of the windshield I removed was taken from the inside of the windshield to get the letters to face in the right direction.  For the replacement windshield I had to take the picture from the outside to get the letters to face in the correct direction.  Both logos were in the lower passenger corner of the windshield and both appear to have been applied to the outside of the window.  So, was the original logo applied to the outside of the window backwards?

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Strike two....

Second windshield arrived in worse shape than the first.  Summit is sending a third and did not even ask for pictures this time.  They are also going to contact Pilkington to discuss their shipping methods.  I am on year 10 building this car, so I am glad I am not in a rush.

Alex, have you received yours?

IMG_0378.jpg

50 minutes ago, kdml said:

Alex, have you received yours?

Hi Doug - No, mine hasn't arrived yet.  I got this notification today from Summit:

image.png.16b6ec57e3107c96078535544a48159b.pngt. 

Your experience isn't generating a lot of confidence that my windshield will arrive in good shape.  

Glad to hear the vendor isn't giving you grief and is sending you a third one without hassle.  

I'll post an update once mine arrives.

4 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Doug - No, mine hasn't arrived yet.  I got this notification today from Summit:

image.png.16b6ec57e3107c96078535544a48159b.pngt. 

Your experience isn't generating a lot of confidence that my windshield will arrive in good shape.  

Glad to hear the vendor isn't giving you grief and is sending you a third one without hassle.  

I'll post an update once mine arrives.

Interesting that the item is on "back order". The logo on Doug`s broken w-shield is obviously not a direct match to the originals illustrated. Does anyone know what the logo looks like on the other windshield which is available?

Thanks,

Tom Mooney

Just looked over the links and noticed the cheaper windshield has a $20 upcharge on the shipping due to size and the more expensive windshield only has a $9.99 upcharge due to size. Has that changed since the original posting?

Also noticed the cheaper windshield offers customization of the date code on the LOF logo but the more expensive windshield does not?

Tom

Here is the logo on the Pilkington windshield I bought from Prosource. Located in the lower passenger side corner and taken from the outside.

I have some new LED lighting in that area. It looks like the lighting, the camera, and me are going to fight for dominance.

005.thumb.JPG.f5b208ddeae3405510618081ac192c5f.JPG

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is the logo on the Pilkington windshield I bought from Prosource. Located in the lower passenger side corner and taken from the outside.

I have some new LED lighting in that area. It looks like the lighting, the camera, and me are going to fight for dominance.

005.thumb.JPG.f5b208ddeae3405510618081ac192c5f.JPG

Looks correct and reversed when viewing from the outside. Thanks for posting Bernie,

Tom Mooney

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on my purchase of a windshield from Summit for my '65 Riv:

I had Summit ship it direct to my glass installer.  That way I don't have to move it from my house to the installer.  I appreciated Summit doing that , and there were no extra charges. 

Including import fees and shipping, the windshield cost me only $133, shipped from Ohio to Vancouver, BC, which is really a screaming good deal.  Maybe they made a mistake, but I'm not complaining!!!

My windshield arrived this week.  I haven't seen it personally but my glass guy says it arrived undamaged.  Hearing that Doug had to return 3 windshields to finally get a good one makes me think I got lucky.

I'm having the two vertical stainless moldings at each side of the windshield polished before I have the new windshield installed.

Anyone else here buy a Summit windshield for their Riviera?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, riv2x4 said:

Has anyone asked about pick up vs having one shipped?  Shipping history on these doesn't look so good.

Maybe have Summit ship it to one of their retail locations? Even by the low standards of modern shipping, this thread has been depressing.

I checked: this process might be useful to others, but it may not help crowvet who, if I've got this correct, is about 425 miles from the nearest Summit Racing retail location in Sparks, NV.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

I just posted on Doug’s “windshield install” thread saying how I wanna follow suit & buy a windshield. I hesitate cuz of the track record.

I’ll have to read thru this thread again. What is the solution?????

Is Summit expecting u to ship the broken glass back to them?

8 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I just posted on Doug’s “windshield install” thread saying how I wanna follow suit & buy a windshield. I hesitate cuz of the track record.

I’ll have to read thru this thread again. What is the solution?????

Is Summit expecting u to ship the broken glass back to them?

At this point, I have two broken windshields in my shop, so far I have not been advised on what to do with them. I have sent Summit an email explaining that #3 will most likely not survive as well, unless they do something about the way this glass is packaged. I am awaiting a reply to my email.

I responded to my other thread as well...

Summit did not ask me to ship the broken windshields back.  They told me I could dispose of them.  Actually, after the first broken windshield, they did not even ask for pictures. 

I spoke with Summit on the phone after the second windshield and asked them if they could contact the manufacturer to see if they could adjust the packaging.  They said they would.  After the third windshield I asked if they spoke to the manufacturer and they said it would not do any good and they would just ship another one.

Doug

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

Congrats!!

ok…3 & 4 are the magic numbers. I guess I have no choice. I will follow suit. 

Best of luck, Summit wanted to refund my money. I said no, I think it's a great price and a quality product I need the glass. I would order quick before they have had enough.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with Summit. The guy they had me talk to was kind enough to check price history. According to him the price was never as low as what Doug’s original post showed ($96 & $125)…weird

oh well…that’s what I get for dragging my feet 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit: oh, forgot to mention, he also kept saying there is an additional $99 freight charge on these windshields due to size 

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

8 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I missed out. Spent too much time speculating. Prices have been jacked up now to $222 & $235. 

They need you to pay for my broken ones? Bummer, sorry you missed out. Kinda saw it coming, on my last shipment the price was at $235. I e-mailed to inquire. They said no we did not charge you more it is just a value invoice.

If you stopped 10 random people on the street and asked them how much a new windshield should cost I bet the answers would be be $200 to $250. I few might say $300.

A hundred bucks never looked right from the beginning.

If it sounds too good to be true, I look like a cynic.