Recommended Posts

I have been getting estimates on new windshields and stumbled upon these listed at Summit Racing.  I was surprised to find these on their site.  The prices looked good too.  I am not sure what the difference is between the two choices.  I am going to call them to find out.  Figured I would post this in case anyone else was looking for a new windshield.

 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400043595/overview/year/1965/make/buick/model/riviera

 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400043594/overview/year/1965/make/buick/model/riviera

 

Doug

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Doug, I saw these as well, and thought it was too good to be true. I wondered if the glass was thinner than the original. If you do research this please keep me updated as I need a new front glass as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Riviera People: I also thought that. Too good to be true?  Mitch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought mine from Prosource Glass in Andover, Ma. I may have paid around $300 plus $125 shipping to a commercial address. One reason I don't remember the price is because I was completely happy. I tend to forget prices unless I am unhappy, then I can tell you to the penny.

 

The link shows an extra $9.95 for shipping. Here's how mine came:

021.jpg.35a4d6e9d86000a8fe5d3ebbf98e85c3.jpg

 

I am not a price shopper but that is quite a package when you look at the windshield and shipping. When I decided to replace it, my gut said about $300 and 100 bucks shipping. If I had been offered one delivered for under $150 I would have been suspicious.

003.thumb.jpg.4b022bb6d24f468350572ea99dd9ce29.jpg

001.thumb.jpg.95fffd621414ca55cc54ffd846fcc64f.jpg

 

Richard Tankel runs Prosource. He seems like a good guy. I think he would be honest and candid. http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

 

Doug 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, kdml said:

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

 

Doug 

Hi Doug,

 

I was pretty excited to read your post about a '65 shaded and tinted windshield being available from Summit at such a reasonable price!  Thanks for sharing this info with us. I have a '65 still with its original, pitted windshield.  So, I'd love to get a new one.  Being able to buy a replacement for only $127.15 all-in is simply amazing!

 

I'm thinking to order the one with the "Generic LoF logo".  Did the folks at Summit indicate that this is an etched logo, as appears on the original windshield?  Did they explain the difference between this cheaper windshield logo and the other, more expensive version?  You said the more expensive one has a "sprayed on" logo.  Is that the only difference?  Is custom date coding included on the spray on logo (which wouldn't be correct BTW)?  I'm not hung up on the logo business, just want to understand the options before ordering myself one.

 

Thanks again for sharing your discovery!

image.thumb.png.05705edc0f48c40d70afe92a4c36c0e4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My windshield was manufactured in Mexico. Pilkington also manufactures in China through Fuyao. There is a Nashville plant as well. There can be quality differences and labor handling differences.

 

There have been some instances where China has subsidized manufacturers to provide a lower cost product for export to the US. That has greatly reduced the cost of furniture already and affected southeastern US furniture manufacturers.

 

Even in the car hobby it is good to bear these social and political implications in mind. These are cheap enough to be in the "too good to be true" bracket. Too bad Paul Harvey isn't around.

 

Sometimes it is easy to overlook stuff when you can save a couple hundred bucks.

Bernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I bought mine from Prosource Glass in Andover, Ma. I may have paid around $300 plus $125 shipping to a commercial address. One reason I don't remember the price is because I was completely happy. I tend to forget prices unless I am unhappy, then I can tell you to the penny.

 

The link shows an extra $9.95 for shipping. Here's how mine came:

021.jpg.35a4d6e9d86000a8fe5d3ebbf98e85c3.jpg

 

I am not a price shopper but that is quite a package when you look at the windshield and shipping. When I decided to replace it, my gut said about $300 and 100 bucks shipping. If I had been offered one delivered for under $150 I would have been suspicious.

003.thumb.jpg.4b022bb6d24f468350572ea99dd9ce29.jpg

001.thumb.jpg.95fffd621414ca55cc54ffd846fcc64f.jpg

 

Richard Tankel runs Prosource. He seems like a good guy. I think he would be honest and candid. http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/index.html

I second that, Richard is a stellar guy. Have known him for years and buy all of my Porsche glass from him. The windshield I purchased for my 65 I owned a while ago was very high quality, perfect fit, and reasonably priced.   (too bad I did not check headlight operation before buying this car!!!!!) (or watch the movie Roadhouse first)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, kdml said:

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

 

Doug 

Did you ask about the thickness of the glass? I have an OEM  windshield removed from a car now so I could measure the thickness as a comparison,

Tom Mooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this exact same windshield (# DW00629) directly from Pilkington Glass back in 2016. The cost then was $250 and the thickness matched the original windshield.  If the current product being offered has the same quality and fit of the one I purchased it would be a fantastic bargain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Did you ask about the thickness of the glass? I have an OEM  windshield removed from a car now so I could measure the thickness as a comparison,

Tom Mooney

 

Hi Tom, 

 

It would be helpful if you could measure the thickness of your OEM windshield as I want to contact Summit to ask for the thickness of the windshield they are selling.

 

My glass guy told me that many replacement windshields are thinner than stock.  I think he mentioned OEM being 1/4" thick, with replacements 3/8".  He said this isn't a big deal as they add more sealant to compensate so there won't be issues with the height of the installed windshield in relation to the moldings.

 

So, if you could confirm the thickness of your stock w/s, that would be great.

 

Thanks,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3/8" is thicker than1/4".   (.375" vs .250")

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:56 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Doug,

 

I was pretty excited to read your post about a '65 shaded and tinted windshield being available from Summit at such a reasonable price!  Thanks for sharing this info with us. I have a '65 still with its original, pitted windshield.  So, I'd love to get a new one.  Being able to buy a replacement for only $127.15 all-in is simply amazing!

 

I'm thinking to order the one with the "Generic LoF logo".  Did the folks at Summit indicate that this is an etched logo, as appears on the original windshield?  Did they explain the difference between this cheaper windshield logo and the other, more expensive version?  You said the more expensive one has a "sprayed on" logo.  Is that the only difference?  Is custom date coding included on the spray on logo (which wouldn't be correct BTW)?  I'm not hung up on the logo business, just want to understand the options before ordering myself one.

 

Thanks again for sharing your discovery!

image.thumb.png.05705edc0f48c40d70afe92a4c36c0e4.png

 

The only information I have on the difference between the 2 options at Summit is what I posted above, which is the design of the logo.  I did not get into too much detail about the logo design as it was not my concern.  As for the thickness, there was a previous thread on this forum which indicated replacement windshields are generally thinner than the originals. 

 

I ordered the cheaper of the 2 windshields and will report back when I receive it.  Since it is being shipped directly from the manufacturer, I don't expect to receive it until the end of the month at best. 

 

Also, if you are going to order the cheaper windshield, Summit offers free shipping on orders over $99.  I needed a couple of other items which put me over the $100 and I received free shipping.  Please note, the additional shipping charge for large items is still charged. 

 

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really is a screaming deal for what is generally acknowledged as being a superior product.  When I priced the same windshield (Pilkington DW629) from ProSource, it was $400 ($250 for the glass, $150 for freight).  This will set you back less than $120 delivered.  Be sure to add something cheap to your cart (e.g. a PCV valve) so the total >= $99.  That will get you free shipping, which saves you $20 over the cost of buying just the windshield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RivNut said:

3/8" is thicker than1/4".   (.375" vs .250")

 

Right you are Ed!  My bad.  I think what my glass guy said was that OEM windshields were 3/8" thick, but some repros are only 1/4" thick.

 

Maybe Tom can confirm the thickness of the OEM windshield he has?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

 

Right you are Ed!  My bad.  I think what my glass guy said was that OEM windshields were 3/8" thick, but some repros are only 1/4" thick.

 

Maybe Tom can confirm the thickness of the OEM windshield he has?

 

 

 

 

Hi Alex,

  I measured the thickness of an OEM windshield today at several places and it averaged 0.260 or just over 1/4".

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Alex,

  I measured the thickness of an OEM windshield today at several places and it averaged 0.260 or just over 1/4".

Tom

 

Thanks Tom!  Good to know.

 

I called Summit yesterday and ordered item 400043595 - tinted/shaded windshield w/LoF logo (Pilkington DW629), for $96.99. This is the same as ordered by Doug (Kdml).

 

The cost, including shipping to Canada with tax & duty only came to $133.24.  That's an excellent price!  I couldn't get the free shipping offer, as this only applies to USA orders. 

 

I was told the windshield is shipped from Pilkington to Ohio which is their international ship depot before it's sent FedEx Ground to me here in Canada.  So it could take several weeks before it arrives here.  Summit allowed me to have it shipped direct to my glass guy's shop, saving me having to haul the thing from my house to his shop for installation. I ordered the windshield over the phone and their agent Bryce was very helpful.

 

I'll let everyone know when my windshield arrives. I hope it arrives in good shape!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, KongaMan said:

When I priced the same windshield (Pilkington DW629) from ProSource, it was $400 ($250 for the glass, $150 for freight). 

 

That looks like what I paid. As I wrote, when I am happy I tend to forget the prices. I do remember that it was in line with what I expected to pay.

 

That 0,260" is a good number; two 1/8" sheets of glass with a 0.010" plastic sheet between.

 

I think you will find thicker glass in the late 1990's and newer as the glass was designed to stiffen the structure of the glued together cars. The 1998 and 1999 GEO Prizms were touting thicker glass as a feature when they were new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

 

That looks like what I paid. As I wrote, when I am happy I tend to forget the prices. I do remember that it was in line with what I expected to pay.

 

In a perverse way, you dissuaded me from buying one then.  Ya see, you posted the picture of the crate yours came in, and it was "Where the hell am I going to put that until I get a chance to install the windshield?" :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, kdml said:

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

 

Doug 

 I meant to post about the difference in the windshields previously but forgot....I would think one windshield would be a tinted version and the other would be a non-tinted version? I know the product description says they are both tinted but as a precaution it might be a good idea to call Pilkington and verify the actual part number differences?

Tom Mooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KongaMan said:

you posted the picture of the crate yours came in, and it was "Where the hell am I going to put that

 

I live near Rochester, New York. Prosource is in Andover, Ma., about 30 miles from where my Daughter lives. I was going to pick it up and visit my Daughter. That didn't work out, but she was planning to visit us. Thinking it was just a windshield size package I was going to have them slide it into the back seat of her Honda Civic. Richard talked me out of that.

When it arrived it was like:

 

I could just imagine my Daughter standing at Prosource Glass crying because she couldn't load it like I asked. Whoa.

Bernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember something about the tint on one. Something about the tint being the same all the way across which made it look weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, telriv said:

I seem to remember something about the tint on one. Something about the tint being the same all the way across which made it look weird.

Hi Bernie,

 

You recently bought a Pilkington #DW00629 windshield for your '64.  

 

Did you notice anything strange about the shaded band across the top? 

 

Is the shading and tint the same as the original windshield?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...