New Windshield for '65

kdml

I have been getting estimates on new windshields and stumbled upon these listed at Summit Racing.  I was surprised to find these on their site.  The prices looked good too.  I am not sure what the difference is between the two choices.  I am going to call them to find out.  Figured I would post this in case anyone else was looking for a new windshield.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400043595/overview/year/1965/make/buick/model/riviera

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400043594/overview/year/1965/make/buick/model/riviera

Doug

I bought mine from Prosource Glass in Andover, Ma. I may have paid around $300 plus $125 shipping to a commercial address. One reason I don't remember the price is because I was completely happy. I tend to forget prices unless I am unhappy, then I can tell you to the penny.

The link shows an extra $9.95 for shipping. Here's how mine came:

021.jpg.35a4d6e9d86000a8fe5d3ebbf98e85c3.jpg

I am not a price shopper but that is quite a package when you look at the windshield and shipping. When I decided to replace it, my gut said about $300 and 100 bucks shipping. If I had been offered one delivered for under $150 I would have been suspicious.

003.thumb.jpg.4b022bb6d24f468350572ea99dd9ce29.jpg

001.thumb.jpg.95fffd621414ca55cc54ffd846fcc64f.jpg

Richard Tankel runs Prosource. He seems like a good guy. I think he would be honest and candid. http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/index.html

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

Doug 

On 1/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, kdml said:

I checked with Summit on the difference between the 2 options.  They indicated the difference was in the logo.  The $96 version has an older style LOF logo and the $125 version has a generic spray on LOF logo.  The glass is the same. 

As for thickness, when I was researching options I searched this forum and found a comment that replacement windshields you can buy today are thinner, which needs to be considered when installing. 

I am going to place an order for the windshield, as this is cheaper than any of the other vendors I spoke to.  I will wait until I can phone in the order, as I am interested to see how they can ship this for 9.99 without it showing up at my house broken.

Doug 

Hi Doug,

I was pretty excited to read your post about a '65 shaded and tinted windshield being available from Summit at such a reasonable price!  Thanks for sharing this info with us. I have a '65 still with its original, pitted windshield.  So, I'd love to get a new one.  Being able to buy a replacement for only $127.15 all-in is simply amazing!

I'm thinking to order the one with the "Generic LoF logo".  Did the folks at Summit indicate that this is an etched logo, as appears on the original windshield?  Did they explain the difference between this cheaper windshield logo and the other, more expensive version?  You said the more expensive one has a "sprayed on" logo.  Is that the only difference?  Is custom date coding included on the spray on logo (which wouldn't be correct BTW)?  I'm not hung up on the logo business, just want to understand the options before ordering myself one.

Thanks again for sharing your discovery!

image.thumb.png.05705edc0f48c40d70afe92a4c36c0e4.png

My windshield was manufactured in Mexico. Pilkington also manufactures in China through Fuyao. There is a Nashville plant as well. There can be quality differences and labor handling differences.

There have been some instances where China has subsidized manufacturers to provide a lower cost product for export to the US. That has greatly reduced the cost of furniture already and affected southeastern US furniture manufacturers.

Even in the car hobby it is good to bear these social and political implications in mind. These are cheap enough to be in the "too good to be true" bracket. Too bad Paul Harvey isn't around.

Sometimes it is easy to overlook stuff when you can save a couple hundred bucks.

Bernie

On 1/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I bought mine from Prosource Glass in Andover, Ma. I may have paid around $300 plus $125 shipping to a commercial address. One reason I don't remember the price is because I was completely happy. I tend to forget prices unless I am unhappy, then I can tell you to the penny.

The link shows an extra $9.95 for shipping. Here's how mine came:

021.jpg.35a4d6e9d86000a8fe5d3ebbf98e85c3.jpg

I am not a price shopper but that is quite a package when you look at the windshield and shipping. When I decided to replace it, my gut said about $300 and 100 bucks shipping. If I had been offered one delivered for under $150 I would have been suspicious.

003.thumb.jpg.4b022bb6d24f468350572ea99dd9ce29.jpg

001.thumb.jpg.95fffd621414ca55cc54ffd846fcc64f.jpg

Richard Tankel runs Prosource. He seems like a good guy. I think he would be honest and candid. http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/index.html

I second that, Richard is a stellar guy. Have known him for years and buy all of my Porsche glass from him. The windshield I purchased for my 65 I owned a while ago was very high quality, perfect fit, and reasonably priced.   (too bad I did not check headlight operation before buying this car!!!!!) (or watch the movie Roadhouse first)

On 1/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, kdml said:

Doug 

Did you ask about the thickness of the glass? I have an OEM  windshield removed from a car now so I could measure the thickness as a comparison,

Tom Mooney

I bought this exact same windshield (# DW00629) directly from Pilkington Glass back in 2016. The cost then was $250 and the thickness matched the original windshield.  If the current product being offered has the same quality and fit of the one I purchased it would be a fantastic bargain. 

On 1/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Did you ask about the thickness of the glass? I have an OEM  windshield removed from a car now so I could measure the thickness as a comparison,

Tom Mooney

Hi Tom, 

It would be helpful if you could measure the thickness of your OEM windshield as I want to contact Summit to ask for the thickness of the windshield they are selling.

My glass guy told me that many replacement windshields are thinner than stock.  I think he mentioned OEM being 1/4" thick, with replacements 3/8".  He said this isn't a big deal as they add more sealant to compensate so there won't be issues with the height of the installed windshield in relation to the moldings.

So, if you could confirm the thickness of your stock w/s, that would be great.

Thanks,

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:56 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Doug,

I was pretty excited to read your post about a '65 shaded and tinted windshield being available from Summit at such a reasonable price!  Thanks for sharing this info with us. I have a '65 still with its original, pitted windshield.  So, I'd love to get a new one.  Being able to buy a replacement for only $127.15 all-in is simply amazing!

I'm thinking to order the one with the "Generic LoF logo".  Did the folks at Summit indicate that this is an etched logo, as appears on the original windshield?  Did they explain the difference between this cheaper windshield logo and the other, more expensive version?  You said the more expensive one has a "sprayed on" logo.  Is that the only difference?  Is custom date coding included on the spray on logo (which wouldn't be correct BTW)?  I'm not hung up on the logo business, just want to understand the options before ordering myself one.

Thanks again for sharing your discovery!

image.thumb.png.05705edc0f48c40d70afe92a4c36c0e4.png

The only information I have on the difference between the 2 options at Summit is what I posted above, which is the design of the logo.  I did not get into too much detail about the logo design as it was not my concern.  As for the thickness, there was a previous thread on this forum which indicated replacement windshields are generally thinner than the originals. 

I ordered the cheaper of the 2 windshields and will report back when I receive it.  Since it is being shipped directly from the manufacturer, I don't expect to receive it until the end of the month at best. 

Also, if you are going to order the cheaper windshield, Summit offers free shipping on orders over $99.  I needed a couple of other items which put me over the $100 and I received free shipping.  Please note, the additional shipping charge for large items is still charged. 

Doug

This really is a screaming deal for what is generally acknowledged as being a superior product.  When I priced the same windshield (Pilkington DW629) from ProSource, it was $400 ($250 for the glass, $150 for freight).  This will set you back less than $120 delivered.  Be sure to add something cheap to your cart (e.g. a PCV valve) so the total >= $99.  That will get you free shipping, which saves you $20 over the cost of buying just the windshield.

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

3/8" is thicker than1/4".   (.375" vs .250")

Right you are Ed!  My bad.  I think what my glass guy said was that OEM windshields were 3/8" thick, but some repros are only 1/4" thick.

Maybe Tom can confirm the thickness of the OEM windshield he has?

6 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Right you are Ed!  My bad.  I think what my glass guy said was that OEM windshields were 3/8" thick, but some repros are only 1/4" thick.

Maybe Tom can confirm the thickness of the OEM windshield he has?

Hi Alex,

I measured the thickness of an OEM windshield today at several places and it averaged 0.260 or just over 1/4".

Tom

19 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Alex,

I measured the thickness of an OEM windshield today at several places and it averaged 0.260 or just over 1/4".

Tom

Thanks Tom!  Good to know.

I called Summit yesterday and ordered item 400043595 - tinted/shaded windshield w/LoF logo (Pilkington DW629), for $96.99. This is the same as ordered by Doug (Kdml).

The cost, including shipping to Canada with tax & duty only came to $133.24.  That's an excellent price!  I couldn't get the free shipping offer, as this only applies to USA orders. 

I was told the windshield is shipped from Pilkington to Ohio which is their international ship depot before it's sent FedEx Ground to me here in Canada.  So it could take several weeks before it arrives here.  Summit allowed me to have it shipped direct to my glass guy's shop, saving me having to haul the thing from my house to his shop for installation. I ordered the windshield over the phone and their agent Bryce was very helpful.

I'll let everyone know when my windshield arrives. I hope it arrives in good shape!

On 1/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, KongaMan said:

When I priced the same windshield (Pilkington DW629) from ProSource, it was $400 ($250 for the glass, $150 for freight). 

That looks like what I paid. As I wrote, when I am happy I tend to forget the prices. I do remember that it was in line with what I expected to pay.

That 0,260" is a good number; two 1/8" sheets of glass with a 0.010" plastic sheet between.

I think you will find thicker glass in the late 1990's and newer as the glass was designed to stiffen the structure of the glued together cars. The 1998 and 1999 GEO Prizms were touting thicker glass as a feature when they were new.

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That looks like what I paid. As I wrote, when I am happy I tend to forget the prices. I do remember that it was in line with what I expected to pay.

In a perverse way, you dissuaded me from buying one then.  Ya see, you posted the picture of the crate yours came in, and it was "Where the hell am I going to put that until I get a chance to install the windshield?" :D 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, kdml said:

Doug 

I meant to post about the difference in the windshields previously but forgot....I would think one windshield would be a tinted version and the other would be a non-tinted version? I know the product description says they are both tinted but as a precaution it might be a good idea to call Pilkington and verify the actual part number differences?

Tom Mooney

11 hours ago, KongaMan said:

you posted the picture of the crate yours came in, and it was "Where the hell am I going to put that

I live near Rochester, New York. Prosource is in Andover, Ma., about 30 miles from where my Daughter lives. I was going to pick it up and visit my Daughter. That didn't work out, but she was planning to visit us. Thinking it was just a windshield size package I was going to have them slide it into the back seat of her Honda Civic. Richard talked me out of that.

When it arrived it was like:

I could just imagine my Daughter standing at Prosource Glass crying because she couldn't load it like I asked. Whoa.

Bernie

8 hours ago, telriv said:

I seem to remember something about the tint on one. Something about the tint being the same all the way across which made it look weird.

Hi Bernie,

You recently bought a Pilkington #DW00629 windshield for your '64.  

Did you notice anything strange about the shaded band across the top? 

Is the shading and tint the same as the original windshield?

Thanks,

15 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Did you notice anything strange about the shaded band across the top? 

Is the shading and tint the same as the original windshield?

I didn't notice anything different. I did go around the perimeter of the windshield and manually apply some of the adhesive strip to the outer edge. Using a squirt bottle to test, I did find small gaps. The old windshield had a lot of extra sealer as well.

My original was really scratched. I put a new headliner in but never got around to reupholstering the sun visors. Driving into the setting sun was brutal. So the crystal clear glass got most of my attention. I will be out there over the weekend and take a good look.

Bernie

Well, I received my new windshield today, shipped directly from Pilkington.  Unfortunately, it was not packed as securely as Bernie's and was broken in a number of places.  Both upper corners were broken and one lower corner was completely smashed.  I just got of the phone with Summit and emailed them pictures of the damage.  I have attached some pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

I can confirm that it is the same thickness as the windshield I removed; about 1/4".  I have not removed it from the box to verify any other details as I am waiting for confirmation as to how Summit wants to handle this. 

Doug

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

I've done quite a few windshields on my old cars, and the first ones I did I had trouble with the outer edges delaminating

with bubbles in the laminate after 18 months or so,requiring me to do the windshield again and again to keep it looking nice. I finally

figured out what I was doing wrong. I had been taking a urethane gun and going around the outer edge of the glass to make sure it was

going to seal and keep all water out, and the chemicals in the urethane sealer were leeching into the laminate and making it delaminate.

Once I quit going around the outer edge with sealer I 've had no more problems and no leaks.......the ribbon has always sealed just fine by itself

on the windshields i have done.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, kdml said:

Well, I received my new windshield today, shipped directly from Pilkington.  Unfortunately, it was not packed as securely as Bernie's and was broken in a number of places.  Both upper corners were broken and one lower corner was completely smashed.  I just got of the phone with Summit and emailed them pictures of the damage.  I have attached some pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

I can confirm that it is the same thickness as the windshield I removed; about 1/4".  I have not removed it from the box to verify any other details as I am waiting for confirmation as to how Summit wants to handle this. 

Hi Doug,

Well, that's disappointing to have the windshield arrive broken!

I've ordered the same windshield from Summit, so your experience doesn't bode well for mine arriving in one piece.

Please let us know how Summit responds regarding your damage claim.  I'd expect them to send you a replacement at no cost to you.

Knowing how things went for you will help me in case I have a similar experience.

Thanks,

From this:

image.png.bdec591814d10fac9c3a014d0b964b57.png

To this:

image.png.6744533b34ea28946543f18fdde742d3.png

is really extreme. My first thought goes to professional purchasing agents negotiating the lowest possible product cost. I see that in products for the building trades, where projects are put out to the lowest bidder. Some products manufactured "for bid" are an inferior in quality to standard order because they know cheap is the game plan. Summitt may have cut every corner at the Pilkington end to drive that price, including packaging.

Some guy at Pilkington is telling his boss "I kept saying we shouldn't have done that". And the sales manager puffed and strutted with the big contract.

Bernie

• Like 1

Kind of like the house we built 17 years ago.  EVERY appliance, carpet, and bathroom fixture has now been upgraded from the builder quality stuff that kept the price down.  If the model home were not now owner occupied, I'd like to get in and see if the same low quality junk was in the model home when we saw it.  Knowing what I now know about the builder, I'm betting that bait and switch were part of his everyday dealings just to make the price attractive.

Every windshield or back glass I have ever ordered was delivered in the same type of cardboard box shown in the picture and had no damage.

I would say that it was a case of somebody purposely drop kicking the box at the loading dock. I had a friend who worked at a loading dock and

he used to tell me about guys that would have contests to see who could throw a box the farthest between the dock and the inside of the truck.

They would pick up boxes and hurl them through the air  about fifty feet with the boxes slamming in to the walls of the truck. They thought this was great fun.

17 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

🤕

My little brother works for UPS. He tells me the horror stories of how boxes are handled. I’m sure ALL shipping companies are the same. In this case, if it ain’t packaged like Bernie’s glass was then it ain’t gonna survive more than an   1/8 of a mile

Dave,

I worked with UPS for 38 years. I served the earliest part of my career as a management person in our QC dept while I worked a day job as a tech. A package like this would be considered "an oversize irregular" due to its size and shape. In such a case the "package" is handled by hand from drop off to delivery instead of move on high speed conveyor belts like most typical packages. Considering the weight and size of this item, and the way it is prepared for shipment, I am not surprised it arrived damaged. This package does not appear to be abused from the outside appearance. It appears to me the divider that is designed to "suspend" the glass within the box and keep the glass away from the edges of the box came loose and allowed the edges of the glass to come in contact with the perimeter of the box. It appears the staples which hold the divider in place pulled through the outside wall of the box allowing the glass to move around within the outside container...or did you remove same? Anyway, hope all works out for you Doug, good luck,

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Quick update on my windshield dilemma...Summit is sending me a replacement. 

I think Tom's assessment of what happened is correct.  The staples holding the dividers in the box pulled through allowing the windshield to shift inside the box.  Difficult to tell whether this was due to mishandling or bad packaging as the exterior of the box was perfect. 

In the meantime, here are some more pictures of the windshield.  The first pic shows thickness as compared to the windshield I removed.  I don't know whether the windshield I removed was original.  The second pictures shows that the replacement windshield has a different colored band at the top as compared to what I removed (blue vs. brown).  Not sure what was original.  I tried to get a picture of the LOF logo, but it is in the smashed section of the new windshield. 

Doug

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg