Are you a BCA member?

KongaMan

If you own a Buick...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a BCA member?

• Yes, and I really enjoy it.
    • Yes, but it's more of a habit than active involvement.
    • No, but I used to be.
    • No, never.

I don't know quite how to answer your poll. Your poll does not quite capture my situation. I am a BCA Member, but it is basically just a magazine subscription and allows me to be a member of a BCA Division that I enjoy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Matt above that the "yes" choices don't

capture my situation.  I belong and happily get the

Buick Bugle.  I will participate in national meets when

they are within driving distance of my antique Buicks,

and I was happy to attend the Allentown, Penna. meet

at Nicola Bulgari's place.

For many car-club members of various marques, the

excellence of the magazine is what retains members.

• Like 1

I was a member from the late 70s till early 80s. Like many, I joined for the magazine and parts sources and here are the main things I remember: there was often criticism of members who didn't "participate". I'd think......."do you want my dues or not?"

And then I remember wasted time reading the magazine; constant wrangling and arguing about things like the exactly correct tint of an engine paint. Upholstery materials, etc., Knowledge I didn't need, I'm a "practical" car guy.

Then I bought a Studebaker and joined their club. Man, that mag was great: almost all technical stuff about keeping the dam thing on the road. A lot of the "whatever it takes" attitude. I never sent any more dues to the BCA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In the early 1990's, my '63 Riviera wasn't worthy.  If I didn't own a prewar car, I might as well sit in the corner by myself.  As I look back, I can see why there's no really active local chapter now.  All the old guys died and the young ones never came back after being admonished by the old (dead) guys.  Now what's left is a bunch of new old guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny, Riv Nut, that was my experience with the local AACA chapter back when I was young (no, not here in Fredericksburg). Bunch of old guys discussing high end cars that I could not afford. No need to join that club. They also snubbed truck owners. Now that I am one of those old guys, I joined the AACA. 😉

I have been a member of BCA since the late 70s. The Bugle became a much better magazine over the years. Really top notch now. Only thing missing comparing to Turning Wheels (Studebaker) is lack of a technical Q and A column every month.

We had a local BCA chapter for years (put on the 2000 national). Most everyone had a post war car, even in the late 70s and 80s. Your Riviera would have fit right in.

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

In the early 1990's, my '63 Riviera wasn't worthy.  If I didn't own a prewar car, I might as well sit in the corner by myself.  As I look back, I can see why there's no really active local chapter now.  All the old guys died and the young ones never came back after being admonished by the old (dead) guys.  Now what's left is a bunch of new old guys.

Haha!!  You ought to own one of those "sporty" cars!!!  Talk about the red headed step child......

• Thanks 1

Interesting how most peoples' opinions on the club are based on local chapter experiences.  Although, to me, that was also a deciding factor on whether I should join or not.  The Gateway chapter had, and still has, a very active membership.  That is part of what keeps people coming.  Getting the right people, and enough people, to cultivate the local chapter culture is the challenge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too, am a member, but not sure how to answer, I guess its' the first one. Outside of the US, most members main experience is with the Club, is from the Bugle. Being in Canada, there is no local chapter, I attend the Nationals when I can, but the cost can be very high, depending on exchange rate, distance to event, etc. I have been a member since the late 70's, and other than the odd time I forgot and renewed late, I've been a member all those years.

Technical articles are nice, though since we have thousands of collectible Buicks from the early 20th century till the end of the century, so its' tough to have ones that relate to everyone, most of the time. Whereas, the stories about people and their relationship with the cars they love, more folks can enjoy, I think. My opinion only, please.

Pete and his staff do such a great job with the Bugle, that is the main part of the "glue" that holds me.

Keith

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 1:15 AM, Brad Conley said:

Haha!!  You ought to own one of those "sporty" cars!!!  Talk about the red headed step child......

This is what a red headed step child looks like.  At the last show I went to I was told the paved areas were for antique cars.  I was directed to park in the grassy field where the spectators parked. :)

7-24-18 (2).JPG

Are you guys joking? When I go to almost any Buick meet except the national meet, the field is 70% cars built after 1950, and maybe 50% cars built after 1960. The Buick regional meet in Columbus routinely has, oh, maybe 20 T-Type/Grand Nationals, 20 Reattas, 10-15 '60s muscle Buicks, half a dozen early Rivs, and maybe 5 or 10 pre-war cars, and four of them are Doug Seybold's and mine. I especially enjoy listening to the guys with power steering, disc brakes, A/C, good stereos, power windows, and the ability to go 80 MPH all day talk about how they love the feel of an "old" car on the road. Perspective matters.

I suspect that if you guys who own later cars speak to any of the pre-war guys, you will find them complaining that any show they go to is full of "used" cars. The grass is always greener, my friends. Just be glad there's a Buick club at all and that there's a place for us to enjoy our cars with like-minded people.

PS: My '41 Limited was kicked out of a CCCA Grand National because the guys running the show didn't know that 70/80/90 Series Buicks are Full Classics. THAT is probably a decent reason to get pissed off, especially since I paid $350 and drove for hours to be there...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Are you guys joking? When I go to almost any Buick meet except the national meet, the field is 70% cars built after 1950, and maybe 50% cars built after 1960. The Buick regional meet in Columbus routinely has, oh, maybe 20 T-Type/Grand Nationals, 20 Reattas, 10-15 '60s muscle Buicks, half a dozen early Rivs, and maybe 5 or 10 pre-war cars, and four of them are Doug Seybold's and mine. I especially enjoy listening to the guys with power steering, disc brakes, A/C, good stereos, power windows, and the ability to go 80 MPH all day talk about how they love the feel of an "old" car on the road. Perspective matters.

I suspect that if you guys who own later cars speak to any of the pre-war guys, you will find them complaining that any show they go to is full of "used" cars. The grass is always greener, my friends. Just be glad there's a Buick club at all and that there's a place for us to enjoy our cars with like-minded people.

PS: My '41 Limited was kicked out of a CCCA Grand National because the guys running the show didn't know that 70/80/90 Series Buicks are Full Classics. THAT is probably a decent reason to get pissed off, especially since I paid $350 and drove for hours to be there...

When you throw out persons because they "don't fit" with the crowd, they leave.

It is kind of like your teeth.  If you do not pay attention and take care of them, they will just go away.

16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt, 

That's 120%.  How's that possible? 🤔

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Matt, 

That's 120%.  How's that possible? 🤔

Re-read what I wrote and don't add the numbers, that's not how it works. 70% includes everything built after 1950, and of that 70%, half are newer than 1960. 1960 comes after 1950, right? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

When you throw out persons because they "don't fit" with the crowd, they leave.

It is kind of like your teeth.  If you do not pay attention and take care of them, they will just go away.

I was a member but didn’t renew. It was partly because when the renewal came due, I just didn’t make it a priority and forgot. My ambivalence was a reaction to a BCA Board Member sending me a private message on this forum to lecture me about how I don’t interact property here. According to him, PreWar Buick owners won’t help people on this forum who prefer anonymity. I subsequently joined the AACA.

No Matt, I'm not joking.  I've been a member of BCA since 1980 and can say, quite honestly, there have been only a handful of people that ever made me feel welcome.  I have been told, to my face, that those "sporty cars" have no place in the BCA multiple times, that my car is a fake "custom" vehicle and that Buick would have never built such a thing.  I can go on and on.  Just not worth it anymore.

I can completely understand how you feel after being shunned by the CCCA.  And you can understand my feelings from receiving the treatment I have from some BCA members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Re-read what I wrote and don't add the numbers, that's not how it works. 70% includes everything built after 1950, and of that 70%, half are newer than 1960. 1960 comes after 1950, right? 

"the field is 70% cars built after 1950, and maybe 50% cars built after 1960."  

So you're saying that 30% are pre 1950, 70% are post 1950, and 50% of that 70% are 1960 or later. Got it.

30% pre 1950, 35% 1950 - 1960, and 35% post 1960.    That 10 year period between 1950 and 1960 was the factor in my local group that did the big shut out, because that was the largest percent of cars.  Not many pre-war cars - maybe 20% - in that group.  And only me in the 1960 and later category.  That meant that close to 80% of the local group was in the 1950 - 1960 group.  

On 1/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I have never seen more than 2 or 3 Reatta's at the Columbus show at one time, interesting how we twist the facts to suit our agenda.  Of interest I always thought the older generation of Buicks have been well represented at the Columbus show for the total number of Buicks present.  I have not seen any memo's or rulings telling people with prewar cars not to come to the shows. 

Interesting problem with the CCCA, one, you could have easily pulled up the list of certified classics online and 2, you preregister for shows like that and would have already have had your entry registration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

I have never seen more than 2 or 3 Reatta's at the Columbus show at one time, interesting how we twist the facts to suit our agenda.  Of interest I always thought the older generation of Buicks have been well represented at the Columbus show for the total number of Buicks present.  I have not seen any memo's or rulings telling people with prewar cars not to come to the shows. 

Interesting problem with the CCCA, one, you could have easily pulled up the list of certified classics online and 2, you preregister for shows like that and would have already have had your entry registration.

Ugh, really? I don't have any agenda--my point was only that Reattas and post-war Buicks show up at every Buick show and that the guy who has been turned away because old men don't recognize his car as a real Buick is probably not a common occurrence. I don't care who goes to shows and I don't have an axe to grind with anyone who owns a Buick. I don't think one era is better than any other. I did point out that the complaints post-war owners have are matched by complaints made by pre-war owners and the grass always seems greener on the other side, but I think both are unfounded. I do find it amusing that people like to describe driving an essentially modern car as some kind of adventure, but if they love their cars, that's cool.

But thanks for putting words in my mouth to suit your agenda.

Whatever the ACTUAL number of Reattas and post-war cars at any given show, my point still stands because it is ALWAYS a non-zero number, so they're not getting turned away at the gate as a matter of policy. Will any of you dispute that post war cars form the majority at most Buick Club shows (and since I apparently have to define "majority" for the pedants, it's any quantity more than 50%)? And of those, a significant number are performance cars, Reattas, and other interesting models from the 80s and 90s. I'm not talking absolute numbers, but the complaint was that people turn away late-models and Reattas because they're not even recognizing them as Buicks. My point was only that I have never gone to a Buick Club show and seen zero Reattas nor has the show field been so overwhelmed with pre-war cars that a 1970 Buick Skylark would be turned away for being "not a Buick." I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that in general I don't see a trend towards excluding Buicks of any kind and that late-models/Reattas/GNs/muscle cars are always very well represented at any BCA event.

Pay attention: My ONLY point was that it's awesome to have the Buick Club and that I enjoy all the cars at Buick shows, and I'm glad they all show up. I never said people were telling pre-war cars not to come. I never said post-war cars weren't worthy. Reading comprehension, anyone? 

As for my Buick at the Grand Classic, I registered a 1935 Lincoln, which shit itself on the way to the show. So I went home and got my Buick which I knew would run, run fast, not overheat, and would make it to the show without incident. I was able to pull all the way on to the show field before one of the show runners flagged me and told me to get it out. Meanwhile, other cars are backing up behind me, radiators are starting to boil, cars in line are lined up the street waiting to get in, and horns are honking. I really wasn't going to make it all about me and force everyone to sit and wait while I looked up the list on my phone and proved to someone that I belonged there. It's just a stupid car show. I got out of the way, parked in the parking lot, and made a day of it. My car isn't so important that the whole place has to stop for me, so I did what seemed to be the smart thing and just moved and allowed them to get the other cars safely off the street. I understand a pedant who finds nit-picking rewarding also not being able to understand a big-picture decision like that, but that's not me. Fix the problem, not the blame. So I did. Irritating, but I was somehow able to get on with my life.

I think I know now who causes problems at shows, and it's probably not the people who just show up to have fun. Jeez, do you guys get this whiny when a red car parks next to an orange car, too?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

While there is no excuse for the CCCA not having a proper list of recognized cars at a show/registration, I know if I had a car registered at lets say an AACA national meet and swapped out cars last minute, it wouldn't matter if it were a Volkswagen or Rolls Royce, it would not be allowed on the field, that is what national preregistration is all about. While they may have been wrong in not accepting the Limited, I doubt they were wrong in turning it away just because it was not registered.   Having had newer collectible Buicks as well as some older, I can say without question that within clubs like the AACA the newer cars historically have been red headed step children, that is changing to a degree though.  I am going to an AACA show this weekend (not a national meet, just a large show hosted by an AACA region) and it is capped at cars 25 years and older.  Now with it I am anxious to see if all the 25 year old cars and older are stock, if not, then the region trying to stick with AACA guidelines is amiss.  It is supposed to be a rather large show, so we will see if there are 500 plus stock pre 25 year old cars there.  

I have always thought the Columbus show had one of the all around best representation of every era Buick of most any Buick show short of a National.  

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

On 1/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, Ronnie said:

This is what a red headed step child looks like.  At the last show I went to I was told the paved areas were for antique cars.  I was directed to park in the grassy field where the spectators park

I think I should explain why I made my previous post since the Reatta has been mentioned so many times since I made that post.  I wasn't complaining about how my Reatta is treated. I was just making light of what happens to me all the time by sharing one of my experiences.

My post was about how the Reatta is viewed (as a red headed step child) by some antique car owners, not about me being mistreated by a car club.    I'm a member of the AACA - East TN Region, and the BCA - Reatta Division.  I'm not complaining about any of those clubs. I don't attend enough of their events to have a right to complain.  My complaint, if I had one, is that some people take it upon themselves to decide what meets the definition of an antique car. 

In this particular case I got to the show early hoping to get a decent parking place. Some cars were already parked on the pavement and the older cars in front of me were directed to parking places on the pavement.  When I got to the gentleman doing the directing  told me the paved parking places were for antique cars. I figured he thought I had missed the turn off to the spectator parking in a grassy field. I explained that my car was over 30 years old but he still directed me to park in the grass at the edge of the paved road. After all the paved parking spaces were taken and the sides of the paved road was lined with "antique cars" the overflow had to park in the grass beside me. So to be clear, I was NOT turned away from being part of the show I was just not allowed to park on the pavement. Paved parking was reserved for antique cars.

The event I'm talking about was put on by a club. I'm not going to say which one. I'm glad we have car clubs to put on shows  where we can get together and display our cars.   I just noticed the "redheaded step child" comment and thought the term fit how my Reatta is viewed by a lot of people so I posted a picture of my Reatta. I didn't mean to offend anyone or start an argument.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

.... Some cars were already parked on the pavement and the older cars in front of me were directed to parking places on the pavement.  When I got to the gentleman doing the directing  told me the paved parking places were for antique cars. I figured he thought I had missed the turn off to the spectator parking in a grassy field. I explained that my car was over 30 years old but he still directed me to park in the grass at the edge of the paved road. After all the paved parking spaces were taken and the sides of the paved road was lined with "antique cars" the overflow had to park in the grass beside me. So to be clear, I was NOT turned away from being part of the show I was just not allowed to park on the pavement. Paved parking was reserved for antique cars.

Thanks for this reply Ronnie.  And in an attempt to make light of the situation, I find it ironic that when the oldest cars were new, pavement hardly existed.  Which means they'd be in a more natural setting on the grass.  

• Like 5

My cars have generally been too new. If I keep them long enough they appear to become better cars.

It seems like the only recent cars that are acceptable are owned by the old members with the old cars. Then it's a wonder classic find.

Sometimes I try to figure it out and think maybe it is testosterone. But it don't take long to rule that out!

When I joined there were so many new members they ran out of Bugles.

001.thumb.JPG.fa11796eba4b88e6007fc330d0fd7947.JPG

• Like 1

I like all cars.......old, new, unusual, weird........my DNA was built around a Chevy family,  that and not much money got me collecting Corvairs.   Our first Buick was a 1955 Special for a second car (that was about 1962 so it was not that old) the next Buick was a 1982 Electra wagon.   Then in 1993 we purchased a 1991 Reatta,  11 Reattas later,  I still have a 1991 Reatta, 1939 Century coupe and a late Enclave.    I ran for the BCA Board with the intention of supporting the newer Buick models and specifically the Reatta.

Spread the gospel of the Reatta among old iron Buick owners,  bringing to their attention this may be one of the last collectable Buicks,  that was 2003 and the story is still the same.   Last count the number of Registered Reattas in the US was under 8,000 of the original 21,751 built........if you have ever thought about buying a Reatta,  jump in now while they are still reasonably priced and there are still around.    The number advertised in both the Bugle and Hemmings gets smaller every year.

So far I joined the BCA in 1996 and have been to every national meet since.   I had to leave Allentown early,  and Denver was a last minute go.    I have a room in OK City and will do everything I can to be there and see old friends and Buicks.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

My cars have generally been too new. If I keep them long enough they appear to become better cars.

It seems like the only recent cars that are acceptable are owned by the old members with the old cars. Then it's a wonder classic find.

Sometimes I try to figure it out and think maybe it is testosterone. But it don't take long to rule that out!

Given the close proximity of our member numbers ( I'm #10449), it will come as no surprise I have that exact same voucher.  I joined fall of 1980 at the BCA Regional meet in Columbus.  Mike Book was my sponsor.

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

1930?

Ben

• Like 1

Yes, the date was 1980. It was a really exciting year. I left the Navy in 1970 and had been running power plants on swing shift for the ten years intervening. I got a day job! My first item was to join the BCA. I could finally make the meetings. It was a long time coming. I had joined the original Buick club in 1966, when I graduated from High School, but that one was short lived.

My first meeting was with the Western New York Chapter that met in Batavia, New York, half way between the Rochester and Buffalo membership's homes.  Most of the people at that meeting are still active and I am pretty sure I might be one of the youngest.

I still have the '64 Riviera I drove to that first meeting.

The 1930 date is a typo. I don't know Barbara, but I have noticed a lot of women type without looking at the keyboard, could explain it.

Bernie

• Haha 1

I was invited to a local BCA meet before I had my car on the road, and when it came up in discussion, I was told its not worth registering until its done. So I never bothered. This was back around 2012 I think? Some things just stick with you. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Ben:

On our experiences with viewing and participating in shows or a "get together" much interest is shown to the cars that are in transition. I have encouraged potential participants to bring their cars in no mater what condition. My cars are always in transition and don't expect they will be good enough for some.

Our first national meet was at Danvers in 2011. I had been a member of the BCA since 1987 when I bought my 1937. We were deciding to go through the final steps of getting the car back on the road after 24 years of sitting in my garage. We thought of seeing what a BCA National was like. Was it going to be worth the trouble for participation in a show like this? After the chilly reception we had by most of the people we tried to connect with we were ready to go home, sell the Buick and buy a Model A. If it had not been for several people involved with the Pre War car group who reached out to us (John Scheib and Bill McLaughlin), we would not have our Buicks today.

Another thought was to connect with a local chapter. We did get involved with the Mason-Dixon chapter here in Central PA. As of yesterdays chapter meeting I have been Director for 6 years. I must admit to an irritation of several of our members refusing to bring their car out to our events because of some perceived flaw.  Slight paint discoloration, dull chrome spot, a scratch, or a missing piece of trim. I love cars.. But, I also learned quickly. My first phone call to me as the new Director in 2013 was from a gentleman in Baltimore. He inquired as to the size of our trophies. If they were not bigger than what he had already he would not bother to come.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

My first phone call to me as the new Director in 2013 was from a gentleman in Baltimore. He inquired as to the size of our trophies. If they were not bigger than what he had already he would not bother to come.

I hope you told him you didn't give out trophies.

A town nearby solicited me to organize their first car show as part of an annual festival. I set it up in the format of a cruise in, with no classes or trophies. The focus was geared to an easy good time for all.

One of the applicants called me with great urgency about trophies. He felt on the edge of some sort of abyss if no trophy was awarded.

I told him something could probably be arranged, would it bother him if the trophy had a man with a bowling ball.

Bernie

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 1/26/2019 at 6:18 PM, Beemon said:

I was invited to a local BCA meet before I had my car on the road, and when it came up in discussion, I was told its not worth registering until its done. So I never bothered. This was back around 2012 I think? Some things just stick with you. 🤷‍♂️

Heck our local chapter is actively recruiting.  No buick or car at all even required! Just be interested.