39 Special

39 Special starter ring gear wanted!

Posted (edited)

I need a good or at least flipable flywheel ring gear for a 39 Special 248. Mine looks to have already been flipped, and it's in bad shape! On or off the flywheel!

Larry Elliott

Edited by 39 Special
Accursed autocorrect (see edit history)

On 1/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, 39 Special said:

I need a good or at least flipable flywheel ring gear for a 39 Special 248. Mine looks to have already been flipped, and it's in bad shape! On or off the flywheel!

Larry Elliott

Larry, I was able to clean up the leading edges of the teeth on my '50. I used a 3" hand held grinder with a thin grinding disk.  Several thousand miles and still going.

Ben

On 1/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Larry, I was able to clean up the leading edges of the teeth on my '50. I used a 3" hand held grinder with a thin grinding disk.  Several thousand miles and still going.

Ben

Thanks for the tip, Ben. Mine is really bad, with half of the teeth missing in spots ( where it usually stops!). It also looks to have been flipped before. I'm sure it'll be a big project, but worth the trouble, as I have a few leaks that will also get adressed on the way. I think I might have a picture some where, and if I find it, I'll post it. 

• Like 1