I would like to know what the Difference between the 1941 Buick 71C 4 door convertible and the 1941 Buick Phaeton

Phaeton is what Buick called their 4door convertibles. Most called them convertible sedans. No idea why they chose to make it confusing.

I've heard experts refer to the definition of a phaeton as an open car (convertible) with side curtains and the open car with roll up windows as a convertible.  I'm leery of this definition.

Buick made a 51C (Super) and a 76C (Roadmaster), and have also heard both of them referred to as phaetons.

Posted (edited)

Those old body definitions are tenuous at best. Many manufacturers broke the unwritten rules.

As I understand it a Phaeton is a 4 door open car, windows or not. So is a Touring car. If something was made in the 30s (or 40s I suppose) it is more likely to be called a Phaeton, If built in the 1920s or earlier, it is probably called a Touring. IMHO a Phaeton would be more likely to have roll up windows just due to the era the term was popular.

I have no idea why Cord built something with 2 doors and called it a Phaeton (but apparently they did).

In traditional terms, a Convertible is a 2 door car with roll-up windows, and a Roadster is a 2 door car without. There is currently a thread in these forums about an Oldsmobile Roadster that has roll-up windows and probably would have been called a Convertible by most other manufacturers.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

...and to further muddy the waters, Volkswagen calls this a Phaeton

vw.jpg

And my 1950 Jeepster is called a Phaeton because it has a front and rear seat with two doors without roll up windows. Go figure. 😁

I hope that VW has a sunroof...

And the 1956 Mercury 4-door hardtop was called "Phaeton."  That caused my teeth to grind, even as a teenager....