41 Buick

LGS48

I've heard experts refer to the definition of a phaeton as an open car (convertible) with side curtains and the open car with roll up windows as a convertible.  I'm leery of this definition.

Buick made a 51C (Super) and a 76C (Roadmaster), and have also heard both of them referred to as phaetons.

Those old body definitions are tenuous at best. Many manufacturers broke the unwritten rules.

As I understand it a Phaeton is a 4 door open car, windows or not. So is a Touring car. If something was made in the 30s (or 40s I suppose) it is more likely to be called a Phaeton, If built in the 1920s or earlier, it is probably called a Touring. IMHO a Phaeton would be more likely to have roll up windows just due to the era the term was popular.

I have no idea why Cord built something with 2 doors and called it a Phaeton (but apparently they did).

In traditional terms, a Convertible is a 2 door car with roll-up windows, and a Roadster is a 2 door car without. There is currently a thread in these forums about an Oldsmobile Roadster that has roll-up windows and probably would have been called a Convertible by most other manufacturers.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

And my 1950 Jeepster is called a Phaeton because it has a front and rear seat with two doors without roll up windows. Go figure. 😁

I hope that VW has a sunroof...