Ignition inhibitor switch issue

Vincent Vega

I had to replace a broken actuator rack in the steering column. Things went relatively well. I got everything back together and went to take it for a drive. It would not shift out of park. I supected the ignition inhibitor switch was the problem so I tried to remove the cable from the switch, but that proved impossible. I pushed in the tab, but the cable will not budge. There is very little info in the FSM about this. The car starts and runs fine. The key turns freely and everything seems ok. As near as I can tell there is a pin that is pushed down by the plastic slider on the cable end. I think that is stuck somehow and not allowing the cable to move. Anyone know the trick to do this?

I believe what you are talking about is that black plastic piece. It is held on by two small phillips scews [if memory serves me]. However it might be a coincidence but did you check the cable end at the transmission? It may have come off and won't allow your car to shift.

I wish I could offer some help but like most people on the forum, I've never been into the steering column. I looked at the FSM to see if I could figure out what you  need to do but there are so many parts in the steering column I couldn't figure out what parts the FSM was taking about in the instructions. I did see that the key MUST be in the RUN position in order for the cable to be connected properly but I'm sure you read that as well.  Let us know what you do to get it working again. It might help someone in the future who has the same problem.

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I believe what you are talking about is that black plastic piece. It is held on by two small phillips scews [if memory serves me]. However it might be a coincidence but did you check the cable end at the transmission? It may have come off and won't allow your car to shift.

That's it. It's actually white, but yes two tiny phillips panhead screws. The FSM says the cable can be disconnected from it by depressing the tab. I can't get that to disconnect. I haven't checked the shifter(other end of that cable) because I didn't change anything down there. I'll try to do that tonight.