Guys, I'd like your ideas and feedback on opening a collector car facility

StylishOne

Since I've always loved cars, I'm thinking of opening a car place in a boating resort area. Wondering what type of venue car guys, collectors, gearheads, hobbyists, etc. would actually go to see/visit??

Yes, the thought of cruise nites, a car-club meeting place with maybe coffee, consignment sales, old car storage, automobilia, perhaps some repairs, a small Auto Museum. Or? 

What types of services, or merchandise offerings would you guys really enjoy going to? I'm thinking of a place to bond, hang out, show cars, restoration work, share info.

Your thoughts and feedback? 

1 hour ago, Roger Frazee said:

How about a garage condominium complex, where owner can store their cars, work on them, bond with their neighbors and customize their garages.

In addition to the above, provided there is enough land available, a private roadcourse with picturesque settings, not unlike a manufacturer's proving ground where one will be able to drive their Model T's, etc., without the fear of being run over by a semi going 80 mph.

**Edit:  The M1 Concourse in Pontiac as stated two posts below is the layout/concept I had in mind.  Thank you.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Stylishone -

The M1 Concourse in Pontiac Michigan is a secure car community of 240 car-condominiums in Pontiac Michigan, interspersed around a 1.5 mile race track. You should google it. I suggest you contact the ownership there if you are srperiously considering a car condominium type effort. They sold out very fast and original owners have condominiums that turned into excellent investments as well. This complex is open to all car enthusiasts so we have Lamborghini’s, Corvettes, Porches, Kissels, Studebakers, Harley’s, hot rods and anything car around. The track is regulated for running like cars at a time - my Kissels can’t quite keep up with the Lamborghini s.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

2 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Since I've always loved cars, I'm thinking of opening a car place in a boating resort area. Wondering what type of venue car guys, collectors, gearheads, hobbyists, etc. would actually go to see/visit??

Yes, the thought of cruise nites, a car-club meeting place with maybe coffee, consignment sales, old car storage, automobilia, perhaps some repairs, a small Auto Museum. Or? 

What types of services, or merchandise offerings would you guys really enjoy going to? I'm thinking of a place to bond, hang out, show cars, restoration work, share info.

Your thoughts and feedback? 

Do you need a tax a tax shelter or a write off ?

Great idea if you want to lose money real fast ......

Museum attendance for all venues has been steadily declining for years.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

Do you need a tax a tax shelter or a write off ?

Great idea if you want to lose money real fast ......

Museum attendance for all venues has been steadily declining for years.

Jim

Though, it's more like storage units which are going up everywhere and seem to be profitable as the owners keep adding.  My friend started with 40 units and now has a couple hundred with another new set going in this year. 

• Like 1

If you are planning to operate it during the winter months, you could offer low cost winter storage for your "museum".

You will get a lot of cars, but maybe not too many paying customers to view them. 

Paid weekend indoor cruse in's with a snack bar could work?

I think it’s safe to say that antique car people are also history people. History people, not historic people. 😂 maybe incorporating local history? If it’s by a body of water that history is always interesting. For example here in  Middle Tennessee alot of the lakes were man made. When the water is low enough some old housing foundations start to emerge. GOOD FOOD. If your main attractions are weak you can beef them up with delicious food. Oh and if you really want to bring people in, CHEAP BEER! But sometimes this can attract the wrong crowd. Just throwing ideas around, what about a spot where you can have your car “graded” and appraised  like they do at car shows. I can see that going wrong though. “I paid $50,000 for this car!!! Your trying to say it’s only worth $15,000?!” Oh, oh! Maybe a vintage camp ground, where you can rent old airstreams and the like??

2 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Stylishone -

The M1 Concourse in Pontiac Michigan is a secure car community of 240 car-condominiums in Pontiac Michigan, interspersed around a 1.5 mile race track. You should google it. I suggest you contact the ownership there if you are srperiously considering a car condominium type effort. They sold out very fast and original owners have condominiums that turned into excellent investments as well. This complex is open to all car enthusiasts so we have Lamborghini’s, Corvettes, Porches, Kissels, Studebakers, Harley’s, hot rods and anything car around. The track is regulated for running like cars at a time - my Kissels can’t quite keep up with the Lamborghini s.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

A development like this is indeed the "gold standard" for car people of all stripes. They are also a truly massive capital investment. And as to be expected cater to a predominantly high end clientele. I am not sure what entry level pricing would be for one of the units however it is almost certainly well beyond the reach of many, if not most vintage car hobbyists.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I can picture a development of houses for car collectors.

Since many such people are of retirement age, make the

houses smaller, on smaller lots for less maintenance;

but make them extraordinarily picturesque, better than

99% of the houses one typically sees.  Hire the best designer,

because attractiveness attracts.   Place the houses

together in a "traditional neighborhood" setting with

narrower streets, plenty of street trees, and front porches

that encourage neighborhood interaction.

Scatter some larger houses among the smaller ones,

keeping the same narrower foot-print of traditional design,

so the big houses look modest from the street.  A good

designer can make a large house look smaller and

picturesque, still fitting into its neighborhood.

Car storage buildings might be just a few, and shared,

but these should be of the same impeccable picturesque

design.

I don't know how viable the economics are, but if you

are in an area with plenty of car fans, there are probably

some people who would enjoy interacting with like-minded

hobbyists in this manner.  Market it through local car clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

I think it’s safe to say that antique car people are also history people. History people, not historic people. 😂 maybe incorporating local history? If it’s by a body of water that history is always interesting. For example here in  Middle Tennessee alot of the lakes were man made. When the water is low enough some old housing foundations start to emerge. GOOD FOOD. If your main attractions are weak you can beef them up with delicious food. Oh and if you really want to bring people in, CHEAP BEER! But sometimes this can attract the wrong crowd. Just throwing ideas around, what about a spot where you can have your car “graded” and appraised  like they do at car shows. I can see that going wrong though. “I paid $50,000 for this car!!! Your trying to say it’s only worth $15,000?!” Oh, oh! Maybe a vintage camp ground, where you can rent old airstreams and the like?? 

Funny you should say that last comment....there's a woman not far from here with a farm and about 30 vintage trailers, the 1950/1960 two person small camper type.  A good friend of mine is doing some restoration work on the campers now, she plans to open a type of Bed and Breakfast, renting the trailers (in place) to people passing through.....

I like the idea of an old car community or subdivision, problem is it'd have to be built real close to my grandchildren for my wife to agree to live there!!

Just write a check for $500,000 or more and send it to me.  You'll wind up with the same pain at the end, but it will be over a lot quicker and with much less work.  😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is probably a good idea to drop the word "museum" from your vocabulary today. Tying that to any business venture, profit or nonprofit, will open doors to regulations and restrictions that would amaze - and limit- you, severely.

You can be successful if you avoid the traditional business start up process. Have a solid vision in your head and cash in your pocket. All this business plan stuff is pure speculation and fantasy. All it does is lay out your idea for bank debt, first thing the SBA, coaches, and advisers will do is point you to the bank. Thousands of businesses fail every year because they follow "the process".

Business plan: "I know I can make money doing this. I have this much money. I will be smart enough to recognize I am not making money before I spend all I have." I said that to two counselors at the SBA in 2007 when I was looking for pointers. They said "Oh, most people want money. Good luck. We like your plan."    Still going.

Bernie

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

All this business plan stuff is pure speculation and fantasy. All it does is lay out your idea for bank debt, first thing the SBA, coaches, and advisers will do is point you to the bank. Thousands of businesses fail every year because they follow "the process".

Right.  Making it up as you go along is a MUCH better way to run a business... 🙄

Having run my own engineering business for eight years (until I sold the company), I can tell you that thousands of businesses fail every year because they don't pay attention to (or PLAN FOR) cash flow.  Trying to finance a business out of pocket (or bootstrap it) is a very well proven way to fail.

7 hours ago, Packin31 said:

Here are a few in the Chicago-land area.  Way out of my price range, though.

Iron gate motor condos

auto motor plex chicago

auto bahn country club

Those references were interesting to see.  Some observations:

I see, from the Iron Gates' pricing, that the car storage

is very expensive:  $250 to $350 per month PER CAR,

depending how often you want access to it.  (Go to their website

and click on their "Storage" tab.)  Those prices surely aren't

competitive with more typical garages, so they must cater to

people who don't mind spending money--and not even the most

well-off people are always so easy-spending.

The illustrations show predominantly high-end sports and exotic

cars--far more than antique cars.  Myself, I'd have much more

in common with fellow antique-car collectors, but they evidently

aren't there in great numbers.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

A difficulty with asking us here at the AACA forum is that any sort of business like this would have to be highly localized.  You'd presumably need to find a place with lots of car collectors already, where those car collectors have money to spend, and yet where there aren't similar services already.   Then you'd have to find out what *that* group wants, and design the business around them. 

With that said, I  would guess that the most useful kind of place in a boating area is probably a combined storage and repair shop.  Boat people often have extra income, and those who have boats and collector cars together probably need seasonal storage and someone to hire to work on their cars. The rest of the services, like hosting a cruise night or cars & coffee, can be used as ways of advertising.  But it's a tough business, as really you're running a classic car repair shop; a much-needed service, but not an easy business.

3 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Does anyone know if there are any such places in Canada? Would likely be out of my price range, but I'd like to see one!

There are at least 2 country club style private tracks out here in B.C. Eye watering up front fee plus hefty yearly dues so you and your friends can drive fast on a track but not actually participate in organized racing. I guess it is a handy place to show your friends how fast your P car or Lambo goes. I just don't quite get spending way more money than what many forms of racing cost, especially the lower classes in Vintage or a class like Formula Ford and still just pretending to race. My Formula Ford car plus  at least a year of racing costs , entry fees etc. will cost quite a bit less than just the country club tracks up front fee. Plus I don't have to buy a supercar for lets see , a good chunk of the value of my house.

Greg in Canada

You have asked about a potential business venture in a good place to ask car related questions, but not somewhere that I would go for business advice. The folks on this forum are from all over the US and the rest of the world. Over time I have learned that there are an amazing amount of regional differences in the places that we all come from. I live in a coastal city which is known for retirement, vacations, movie making, boating as well as other things. We have an active local antique car culture here. My area sounds like exactly the right place for what you seem to be thinking of, yet I think you would lose your investment if you attempted to start any such business here. There are too many places where car guys hang out here now and all of them are free. How do you think you are going to get car guys to come and pay for something that they can already do for free in a place that they are used to doing it for at for free? About the only business that I think you might be able to find car guys willing to pay for service would be either an auto detailing shop, car wash, or mechanic shop that you market as catering to old cars. If you were to do that in my town, you would be competing against multiple established businesses.

I run an engraving business. A portion of my businesss is name tags, plaques, and trophies for car clubs. My business does have that small tie in, but it is certainly not my main business. I run a business and I have a hobby. It is rare to be able to successfully combine a business and a hobby and be successful in the business.    

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

You have asked about a potential business venture in a good place to ask car related questions, but not somewhere that I would go for business advice.

I don't think he's asking business advice so much as doing market research.  This forum does represent a potential customer base for the business he's considering.  Polling the customers and understanding their needs and desires is a good way to figure out if his proposed business makes sense.

• Like 1

My comment was misinterpreted, as is often the case when a person shares an idea with a "professional".

Personally, sort your plan out well, figure out how much cash you need, and be sure you have it without borrowing. If you don't have enough there will be problems. And don't let your accounts payable go out to 90 to 150 days like many so called smart businessmen. The Karma will get you.

If you go through life for over half a century you will probably find that any regrets you may have are for things you didn't do. If you didn't do them because someone told you not to.... its worse.

You've got to be certain that the market is sustainable. Apart from the car owners renting space, where is the viewing public? They aren't going to drive out in the sticks on a muddy driveway but you still need a lot of outdoor space for parking. After one visit, will the general public be returning? And what new things will they see upon their return visit?  Car owners would love to have a dry storage space with electricity AND INSURANCE but it must be affordable.  The concept is nice but not sustainable. Scale WAY back on such a project before you burn through your retirement.

I know of a guy in Missouri who bought a Safeway building to store his and a friends cars. Probably about 25% of the cost of building a clear-span building new. One thing led to another and it became a museum, still open, with 50 or 60 cars. The founders are long-gone. Finances are probably 10% from admission/sales, 90% from the cash flow of the family's 7-figure food products business. The good thing is they didn't say "I need to have a tourism site capable of bringing in $160/day in admissions and bring people off the interstate, so I'll have a 40,000 sq ft facility designed and built for x dollars, buy 50 cars for x dollars each and open her up."  What I'm saying is there are abandoned warehouses and factories and stores out there.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Okay, guys time to clarify the deal and the concept.

It's a small 32x100 building on the main Road in to a mostly boating area, yes seasonal, already made in 2 large interior spaces..outside there's a 7700 sq ft asphalt parking lot. Behind the building, there's open land about 80' deep to build more. 

There are area events all season and parades that go through the town. The current taxes are under $1000 per yr. 

My thought was storage ( yes I checked for myself and no car storage available within 20+ miles all used up for cars and boats about a $100 for container type) and cars on consignment, meeting place for car clubs , cruise nights, maybe picnics, sell coffee and bagels, cakes, Ice cream unavailable in town now. This is a sleepy boring town with little to do. So there you have most of it. Ask what you like. I heard the cautions but this is a small operation, yes I'd like to make some money too!

I've heard some interesting ideas and several discussing the likely failure rates and cautions.

It's all appreciated..Didnt I read somewhere "Do what you love and the money will follow? It won't feel like work.

If we can keep the negative gloom and doom aside (fully understanding it's there ever lurking in the dark corners) and focus more..as some did, on more creative fun things to consider having (doing?) at such an establishment, I'd enjoy hearing those.

Here is a place in Canton Michigan that opened a year ago and is full.  They do antique, classic, to exotic and I believe the building used to be a chemical warehouse.  They can store about 140 cars plus more motor cycles and have events all the time.  Weekly cruise nights, cars and coffee club during the winter and they have one of those large inflatable movie screens for outside movies during the summer.  Their Facebook page has lots of pictures, events, etc so you could check it out.  Here is their website.

http://cantoncarcave.com/index.html

This is very similar to the concept idea that you are thinking about and they made their pricing not too far above what a storage unit would cost.  

Reality Check

If I want to store a modestly valuable car .....

i would NOT  ideally want:

Community Storage in a open floor space where other vehicles

would be in close proximity to mine - being moved ( possibly driven ).

I definitely would NOT want the Public At Large perusing my vehicle.

I don’t know how you would get renters or  liability insurance for rented space

for car storage  - let alone “ slip & fall “ insurance for people visiting.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1